Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 5:42 AM
Default 'Buying' Apartments/Condos/Strata Properties for urban sims
Hi there, I've been building up my current neighbourhood as an urban one. As such the only housing available in the main area of the city is either apartments or small houses on fake one lane one way roads I've created using Lot Adjuster. Now I'm running into the problem that rents are a bit insane, and want a way for sims to basically buy a Condo, or townhouse on an apartment lot. What would be a good way of doing this? I could use money cheats, but those get problematic after multiple families have the same last name, and otherwise are imprecise. Money cheats also don't have the initial and final payback upon moving out, and I'm not entirely sure on how to calculate that.

Does anyone have any idea on how Condos could be set up? Thanks in advance.

WowoW it's a badly hidden owo UwU Yeet skeet Idk what I'm doing
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 6:44 AM
Rent is mainly calculated on the size of your units, so make them a lot smaller and rent will be cheaper. One way is to make hostel style housing for those with little money. So they have a room but use a communal bathroom, rec room and kitchen. Everything communal is free. Then those who have some more money build small self contained units, but again keep everything small. There is lots of one tile cc objects around that can help with small sized housing.

Another way to make what you have more affordable is to use lots of solar panels.

Condos are simply separate units.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 10:01 AM
Do you mean that you want several buildings in the footprint of one lot, but available to buy? You can do this using the stacked lot technique. Be warned, it's very fiddly.

If you just want to build several houses and have them work as apartments to rent but not actually be apartments, that's easy to do. Just follow any sims 2 apartment building tutorial.

(I must add that I'm not really ever sure what a "condo" is, as we don't have them in Britain.)

One solution might be using mortgage shrubs?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 12:18 PM
I wasn't sure what a condo was either, so I googled, "A condominium, frequently shortened to condo, is a type of real estate divided into several units that are each separately owned." But sims can't buy houses separately on one lot, they can only own the lot or rent units. A lot can be done within renting though, one large building with flats, a hostel with shared facilities, separated houses on the one lot, a trailer park.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 12:59 PM
I interpreted it as wanting a way to simulate condos. Use apartments, but use cheats and mods to simulate buying it and then "ignoring" the rent.

I'd use apthack by Pescado, which makes it so that they have to pay for the furniture when they move in. That means there's a heavier cost when you move in. If you think it should cost more than that, you can use Monique's computer to make them donate however much extra you want. After that I'd use Cyjon's loan jar to borrow the amount required for rent, so that the rent money doesn't come from their funds. There's no penalty for not paying off the loan on the jar, so just keep borrowing from it and ignore that the loan increases in size.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 1:06 PM
Condo owners have to pay a maintenance fee to stay there. It's usually quite high. I would just pretend the weekly rent is a maintenance fee.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 3:25 AM
Ok, since there is some confusion on what I mean by a condo, I'm talking about units like these just maybe for less than a million dollars for a 3 bedroom unit. Ok so it seems like the loan jar + moniqune's computer are the best bet, I just need to figure out how to make the prices reasonable. As for Pescado's apthack, I've heard that Pescado's mods often have some unnoted extras, and also clash with mods like inteen and ACR, so I'm a little hesitant to use it.

Shame no one has ever cloned monquies computer and used the models that came with later stuff packs and expansions, right now it's stuck between the 90s, and a weird fold up dust collector screen. Well there is that photoskined laptop too. I should, except I have no idea what I'm doing, oh well I can try.

Edit: Oh yeah, the strata fees in even million dollar condos are still only like $600/month or something, the game's rent is insane by comparison. Ok the $5million+ are expesive, but those aren't the family type units that I'm trying to make.
Good thing for solar panels, they still work if they're hidden right? Also unrelated, but I do already make large use of stacked lots. :P

WowoW it's a badly hidden owo UwU Yeet skeet Idk what I'm doing
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 4:07 AM
I think the solar panels work wherever you place them although I've only ever put them outside. Not sure if they would work down a basement but its worth a go.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cord11
As for Pescado's apthack, I've heard that Pescado's mods often have some unnoted extras, and also clash with mods like inteen and ACR, so I'm a little hesitant to use it.

Pescado's reputation is worse than he deserves. There are some mods with unnoted extras, but that doesn't mean all of them do. The same goes for conflicts. He has a few that may conflict, but certainly not all. And hardly any of the "great" modders are free of mods that don't conflict with inteen.

But if you're thinking of making them cost that must, then apthack won't do you much good. It just charges whatever the furniture inside is worth. Better simulate it entirely with Monique's computer

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 5:26 PM
Ah right, I see. That confused me because where I am there's no separate word for an apartment that you buy as opposed to one you rent.

I use apthack and find it great, it doesn't break anything I consider essential, but it is an all or nothing solution. You wouldn't be able to have some sims pay Pescado's deposit and some the normal game deposit.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 6:20 PM
I've half-considered copying Monique's code over to some computer meshes ported from TS3 but I wouldn't have any clue where to start.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives