Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 6:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Broken Game
I went to turn on the game real quick, I haven't been on in quite awhile and I just wanted to see something real quick but...it won't load. I get an error message. I started doing the first step here
http://wickedjr89gaming.tumblr.com/...your-problem-is
And I think I did it right, renamed the 2 folders that are in there with broken game as you can see, and just tried to start the game up again and the only one that doesn't have broken game in it appeared after but the same error message pops up and it won't load. Does this mean I have to reinstall the entire game AGAIN?! It feels like everytime I go to load up the game it needs to be reinstalled, generally because something happened with my computer and I know why but this is random and I have no idea what happened! Did windows 10 mess something up or something?

I guess I need to reinstall don't I?

My Simblr
He/They
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 7:35 PM
I've uninstalled and am reinstalling, is it ok to copy my old documents folder (I saved it all of course, and the program files just in case..) and paste it in the new one?

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 7:37 PM
Technically yes. But if the problem is in those files you'll get the error again.
By the way why do you have 2 files only saying The Sims 2 and that third one also saying The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection? I don't think the game recognizes the files this way when you have UC...I mean the "active" folder needs to be named The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection
Theorist
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 7:41 PM
Do you play with discs or digital? Lookin at your folders that confuse me as to which you use. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to tell you for certain, but I don't believe you can have both disc and UC installed at the same time.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 7:51 PM
Because the last 2, that have broken game after them come up automatically upon loading the game the first time, or well it did before now upon reinstalling i'm just getting one folder...that's different and new. It's always been 2 folders in the past and if I deleted the one that hardly has anything in it it'd just pop up again...

Digital only

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 9:06 PM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 23rd Feb 2018 at 9:25 PM.
Ok I got everything back the way it should be (got Tarlia's clean hoods in my program files, copied/pasted my camera/collections/CEP stuff/downloads, did 4GB patch all that good stuff)
I started up my game
clicked yes enable custom content
FORGOT I needed to exit back out of the game
got in game, looked around, seemed ok
peeked in on the Goths
Rod Humble showing up was my first sign (I have a mod to stop him)
then realized ACR wasn't working either
realized my mistake
exited out of the game
deleted my neighborhoods folder (and the cache files of course)
copied and pasted my neighborhood folder I had prior again (still saved on my external hard drive)
got back in game and everything seems ok now
I didn't mess something else up did I? Or should it be fine now?

Edit: Also I decided to not copy/paste the entire documents folder and just did the stuff I needed (cameras/collections/downloads/CEP/neighborhoods) which means i'll have to regenerate thumbnails again I guess, i'm getting sick of generating thumbnails all the time >.<

My Simblr
He/They
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:07 PM
You can't have the UC installed and disks at the same time. If you installed UC while still have a disk game installed this is what is breaking your game. You can only have one version.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can't have the UC installed and disks at the same time. If you installed UC while still have a disk game installed this is what is breaking your game. You can only have one version.

I never installed the discs on here, just the UC. Best guess is the last windows 10 update broke it, it's working again since uninstalling/reinstalling and was working prior to the update for windows 10 just fine.

Why there was that second folder is beyond me, but i've heard other people had the same thing.

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:22 PM
I have UC, and received this error a few days ago, after using CCleaner's Registry Cleaner. I didn't have to reinstall the game. I just opened Registry Editor and added ™ to the Registration file name ( Do not do this if you know nothing about Windows Registry Editor ). The game loaded up with no issues.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
I have UC, and received this error a few days ago, after using CCleaner's Registry Cleaner. I didn't have to reinstall the game. I just opened Registry Editor and added ™ to the Registration file name ( Do not do this if you know nothing about Windows Registry Editor ). The game loaded up with no issues.

I know nothing about that. Could my anti virus avast have messed it up when cleaning things up? I figured it was the windows 10 update but I don't know that for sure, just that I got it working again. I'll try to be careful with avast clean up..it shouldn't be cleaning up stuff the game needs but maybe it doesn't know that because it's an older game.

And hope I didn't mess anything up from forgetting to exit after enabling custom content, I mentioned that in a previous comment. I deleted the hood and re-copied/pasted from having saved it all before uninstalling.

My Simblr
He/They
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:04 AM
I have heard of issues with Windows 10 and the UC update so that could be it. I have an extra folder on Windows 7, it's annoying but deleting it or renaming it does no good as it comes right back next time I open the computer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:15 AM
Yeah until now i've always had an extra folder, and same with deleting it did no good it'd come back. I don't know if it'll pop again or not but for now i just have one folder this time.

I don't think I hurt anything with the custom content/forgetting to exit after enabling/deleting neighborhood folder and re-copying/pasting thing...

So I got it working again which is great Thank you all! I'll just probably have to regenerate all the thumbnails for what seems to be the millionth time...

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 8:46 AM
CC cleaners delete some of the files the UC needs to run - so be very careful with registry and cc cleaners. If some files are missing, it could have been deleted or have been dropped due to another problem.

Restarting the pc normally puts back dropped drivers; repairing in Origin is actually all you need to do to put the deleted files back (you may have to make a couple of other changes as well, but it should keep your game and the cc in the downloads folder unchanged).
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:56 PM
From previous experience repairing in Origin means having to put back all of Tarlias hoods and anything else in Program files. So it wouldn't have been too much different actually..And while I had run my avast clean up since last running the game I hadn't run it yesterday so if restarting the computer would have put them back they'd have been there I'll try to be careful with avast clean up from now on. I think I can choose for it to not clean up registry things when I do it

So it could've been a windows 10 update or avast cleaning up stuff it shouldn't have....at least reinstalling fixed it *knocks on wood*

My Simblr
He/They