Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 7:01 PM
The only modded item I have in my game ... in fact, one of the few pieces of CC .... is that motive-building dollhouse. And even then, I find this game far harder than Sims 2.

Getting a romance going is challenging. Unlike Sims 2, where I might be able to peek at the stats using Monique's mirror, I have no idea what the game-generated Sims are feeling toward my Sim. My poor Sim has been trying to marry Claire Townie, and he is having quite a time of it. In addition, relationships really drop down if you aren't constantly paying attention to other Sims.

I like it ... it's different. But I really should check into that no-stray sign. (Not sure if that is in the game or not ... my Unleashed booklet disappeared. Google time!) One thing I do like about Sims 2 is that you can simply lock the strays out.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 4:04 PM
when i started, i never bothered to get hacked items much. i started with caro's rose set of furniture (the stuff that was 100 simoleons for a day, then shot up into the thousand) and used to sell the bath every now and again (it was a corner one, so was worth a lot after the first night) when i ran short. this was vanilla sims1 days though
then i started to get the expasions and ended up having to get stuff that was properly hacked.
my first port of call was the stuff from CnC enterprises (whose site is still up, but unfortunately has malware these days, thank goodness for the Yahoo groups that saved stuff)
the shower and clock were the first usefull things for me, then the gardeing stuff.

eventualy, it got to the point it takes 20mins to load my stuff now XD becasue i have so much CC but its not all stuff to make the game easier. viking hearths and japaneese hotel meals and custom pool covering tiles, oh MY ^^.

yes, there is a stop sign (i think) that is supposed to keep the strays out, if you want the unleashed vanilla stuff (ie non download) the simlogical stuff works better, and can be used to keep more things away (like buskers lol) but if un-modded is your thing, check in the decor and pets sections, it should be there
Mad Poster
#28 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 5:05 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 20th Dec 2014 at 5:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
The only modded item I have in my game ... in fact, one of the few pieces of CC .... is that motive-building dollhouse. And even then, I find this game far harder than Sims 2.

Getting a romance going is challenging. Unlike Sims 2, where I might be able to peek at the stats using Monique's mirror, I have no idea what the game-generated Sims are feeling toward my Sim. My poor Sim has been trying to marry Claire Townie, and he is having quite a time of it. In addition, relationships really drop down if you aren't constantly paying attention to other Sims.

I like it ... it's different. But I really should check into that no-stray sign. (Not sure if that is in the game or not ... my Unleashed booklet disappeared. Google time!) One thing I do like about Sims 2 is that you can simply lock the strays out.

Sims 1 was more of a strategy driven game, I think. The romance aspect had a specific formula with a couple of different pathways to it. I think the Prima Guides do reveal how most guests arrive at your home and, from what I'm remember, their needs are pretty low. If you're looking to have your Sim get married or invite another Sim to live with him (also a romantic interaction) without mods, then time is one of your enemies as your Sim does not have much of it in order to meet all the needs of the target Sim before proposing. I usually ran my scenario this way for a home date:

1. Make sure my Sim and the target Sim have a good relationship and have reached the love threshold. That can be done by building a friendship and then interacting romantically in pretty much the same fashion as every other Sims game. Be aware only that incompatible Sims are harder to romance, Sims with low needs are harder to romance, Sims that are less familiar with your Sim are hard to romance. Dates in town are an easy way to build the bar, especially at the bar

2. Invite target Sim over.
3. Prepare a meal
4. Greet Sim and get rid of any gifts they bring (takes too much time to find a place to put them).
5. Eat
6. Allow target Sim a chance to use the restroom
7. Engage in an entertaining and social activity such as watching television. Do not get in the hot tub or have a hot tub accessible. Sims will not get out. If you can't afford a television or do not like the television, try a doll house or the campfire.
8. Go for a kiss - try a romantic one first. If accepted easily, try a passionate kiss. If the passionate kiss is accepted, then propose.

Remember: Don't waste time!

Quote:
The stray sign (stop light thing) was added after the expansion pack came out, but was downloadable from the old EA sight. It's under either pets or decorations in the catelog. Weird, but I can't remember. Someone else asked about where to find it and I remember linking it. It's around here somewhere. I'll poke and get back to you because there were also some great transmorgraphied versions that were bird houses.

Edit: New link for Stray Away sign and other Maxis goodies:
http://www.simechoes.org/simechoes1...ts/objects.html - but it freaks me out a little because simply clicking on it brings you to an exe file, so I didn't do it. If you are brave and do it, please report back that it's ok or not. I'm pretty sure I've used this site before to get Maxis houses without issue.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 4:50 PM
Get the Magic Mirror guys if you still play the game and/or want an awesome mod/hacked item!
http://www.freewebs.com/sims1downloads/magicmirror.htm

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Mad Poster
#30 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 10:08 PM
What does it do? I can see from the description that it can adjust career levels and skill points, but what does it do with walls...? Does it adjusts interests as well? I've been using the object from free the magic, but it's broken when it comes to political interests unless you "max all" interest topics.

Test Subject
#31 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 5:59 AM
There is a hack of a phone you can use to call in sick at work and so take 2 days off (I think it is 2) without being fired. I cannot remember where to find it though. Alternatively you can always - as has been mentioned here already - take every second day off work to do gift shopping or work on those skill points.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 4th Feb 2015 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LollipopRose
There is a hack of a phone you can use to call in sick at work and so take 2 days off (I think it is 2) without being fired. I cannot remember where to find it though. Alternatively you can always - as has been mentioned here already - take every second day off work to do gift shopping or work on those skill points.

Yup I have this hack, but I have no idea where I got it from anymore and most of the Sims 1 sites are dead anyway. The Magic Mirror can adjust interests, but per the magazine types, not specific interests which does suck. :/ Oh well, it's better than nothing, right!

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 4:41 AM
It's so harddddd when i played TS2 and try to move back on TS1. However, when the time that TS2 didn't created yet and it was only TS1 in this world, it's not hard or too hard for me. I accidentally kill only 2 Sims before TS2 came out (1 by starvation, 1 by fire). But now it's hard because of TS2. No Lifetime Aspiration Benefit to reduce your motives decay, no Aspiration that you can gain it to the Platinum and you're so happy, and without Lifetime Aspiration Benefit, the mood decays faster than TS2 ! Important, no boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true that you can do anything you want ! It's hurt, but it's a great time, very great time.

Why it's so hard :

• I never use a stove, yes, NEVER ! The fire in TS1 are the scariest fire ever. I hate a song that played while my house is burning, it's like "Beware, your Sims are going to die !". I hate while my Sims burning, it's really scary because their scream is so painful. Stephen Kearin and Gerri Lawlor are awesome with their voice.
  • ...And yes, without a stove, i can cook only a salad. It's safe, but boost a hunger motive lower. You need 2-3 dishes of salad to fulfill your hunger motive.
  • Don't adopt a guinea pig, or your Sims mysteriously died by a painful cough !
  • Less way to die, but it's easier to die. You can burn your house in only one time when you use a stove. You need 3/4 of hunger motive before you sleep or you will got a problem in the next morning, Etc.
  • Yes, it's hard to makes friend in TS1 because of their mood. The mood has a lot of influence in TS1 (While TS2 is personality). You may success to interact with them at the first time, but then they will reject everything that you try to do with them.
  • Don't try to call a Sim more than 2 times. You may got blamed, whined, #@(*(*$ while on a phone call.
  • Random NPCs like Tragic Clown, Bear, or whatever can make you go mad and BOOOMM !, especially the Tragic Clown ! You know if i can kill him, i would kill him with fire ! Too bad i can't because i hate fire in TS1.
  • Etc., i forgot it, but i bet it's more.

Although it's hard, there are a lot of things those i love it ! First, the music. Vacation tracks are the best tracks in my opinion, it's fun, cheerful, joyful to build a lot, or play on a vacation lot. The 2nd are humors that Will Wright and Maxis put it into the game. I love an NPC that came from Hot-Date, forgot his name, he works in a stand that you can rent a picnic basket from there, and he likes to put a binocular and take a look around. Oh !, and i love the maid that work on a downtown too, forgot her name, Tanya ?

Even the Tragic Clown is annoying and ugly, i sometimes feel sorry for him. My most favorite Sim is Frankie Mashuga, he's cool ! I miss when i was a child and played TS1 a lot. That was i want to say again, it's a great time, very great time !

♒ Aquarius Sun, ♈ Aries Moon, ♈ Aries Rising

Sorry for my English :)
Mad Poster
#34 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 4:29 PM
Microwaves don't catch fire, and sims with two cooking points and a cheap stove will hardly ever start fires. Install a fire alarm and leave plenty of space around the stove for sims to escape and the fireman to arrive, and you needn't fear kitchen fires ever again. As in Sims2, you can cancel the "panic" action and tell sims to extinguish flames.

Improving cooking skill also makes the food better and longer-lasting. Preparing food in a food processor instead of on the counter will also do so. Study cooking every time comfort gets low and other motives are high - it solves a lot of problems.

If you buy the guinea pig poster and hang it in the same room as the guinea pig, you won't get plague.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 7:55 PM
I had taken a vow in 2012 never to use cheat codes for any Sims game again, unless I was making a story or video. Despite this, I know of a glitch on The Sims that I always use when making new families. If you're not good at building skills on The Sims, one way to get skills quickly is by making a child in Create-A-Sim. Then, once you've created the child, edit them and make them an adult. Then, save the family. When you move the family into a house, you'll discover that the Sim you had turned into an adult has randomly generated skills. This can be helpful when getting started, and it helps your Sim get promoted much more easily.
Test Subject
#36 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 3:48 AM
Compared to TS2, it is hard to build and maintain friendships in the game. I thought the talk option added in later expansions would fix the problem, nope the sims hate talking to each other on the phone. I don't know what's the problem. Is it mood? Personality? Skills? Interests?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 4:23 AM
Never use the phone except to invite someone over. I have no idea but 9 times out of ten it will be a 3 second chat ending with -marks. I think I must have made all married couples when I played. I do know I played without any mods or cheats as I didn't know about them. Sims 2 is a walk in the park compared to Sims 1.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 2:37 PM Last edited by kuroineko05 : 2nd Apr 2015 at 2:51 PM.
When I started playing Sims 1 again, I underestimated how fast the motives would fall. This was the first time in years I had a sim pass out from exhaustion. And yes, making friends was a total chore, chatting seems to go south 80% of the time for me. Hell, making celebrity friends felt almost impossible! I ended up using magic to make friends instead, soooo much easier. Nothing like brainwashing people into liking you, muahaha. I even used magic to get a sim to marry me. :P

I find grinding for magicoins less frustrating than chatting up new sims.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 11:01 PM
Ugh, reading all of this really makes me want to play sims 2 again!
Scholar
#40 Old 11th Apr 2015 at 2:19 AM
I played TS1 as soon as it came out and bought each expansion pack as soon as it came out. I never used cheats or mods of any kind until around superstar -- then I got a bunch of weird stuff from SimSlice -- like easter egg hunts, live chickens.. nothing too cheaty.

Anyway, the game is way simpler if you make your entire family off the bat and have one sim stay at home and the other one work. The stay at home sim makes all the friends. Once the working sim gets level 10, I would make the stay at home sim a celebrity or a wizard. I never had TOO much trouble.

I just installed this for my daughter today. I thought it would be easier for her than TS3 or TS4 for some crazy reason. Poor girl started the game and set the house on fire as soon as her first sim got hungry. The music scared her and she ran away from the computer. Oops.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 11:59 PM
if you are worried about fires, you can visit the woobsha guys. they have a lot of better livving stuff that can help
http://www.woobsha.com/index-bl.html
the better kitchens side has something that looks like a breadbox (something people used to keep their bread in to stay fresh, before folks used supermarket breads) that you can use to get muffins and other bread products (and no cooking needed)
http://www.woobsha.com/index-bl-kitchen.html

if you happen to have the interest, there are lots of things in the saving the sims yahoo groups (i made a yahoo email *just* for them actualy lol)
Field Researcher
#42 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 6:27 AM
I developed a strategy in the sims 1 that became quite common for me because it worked so well. I made slaves for all of my families. I had a lot with skilling items and the chemistry set. it was a tiny lot and a small shack with only skilling items and the chemistry set. So that kept costs down and allowed all newly made sims to move in.

I used the move objects cheat and set them to skilling like mad. Whenever their motives went red, I deleted them and clicked them back to keep up their motives. I would make them with no personality at all, then use tye chemistry set to create the yellow potion to max out their personalities.

Once they were completely skilled and perfect, I sent my intended family out into the world to meet their engineered slave. Once they did, I moved the slave in, and then kept them on standby by deleting them until they were needed. Like repairing objects, cleaning the house, cooking meals, and making friends, and doing stuff that brought money into the house, like gardening, making preserves, building garden gnomes or learning spells.

So many families had these slaves that slave sometimes met other slaves and fell in love, and sometimes I bred slaves with other slaves. It was so much fun that I tried to bring it back when I joined with the sims 2 world. But it didnt last since they couldnt be put on standby like in the sims 1, and sims 2 was not as challenging. I sort of do that with servos now, but honestly... it has never quite been the same.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 1:59 PM
hm..i have these wonderfull slave-type sims via the wobbsha site. they did a couple and had links to others.
there was (i think her name was) Galatea the kitchen girl (a roman sim convert of the medievil version) who used a copy of the old roman font style sink. she will clean dishes and clean up messes like spills and leaks.
then there are converts from the bonehilda /monkey butler systems that you can have all sort of things. there is even a dobby the house elf that cooks if you can find him (probably still saved at the saving the sims yahoos too if their sites have gone awol) i think he was from deatheaters?
i remember there being modern bus-boy type ones too but these worker sims were tied to their objects.
if you placed them in a home lot they worked while there was things to do and would go idle when there was nothing (book reading usualy in my hoods) while if you had them on away lots they would work full time (so long as there was an active sim in the map)

there they are. the better NPCs page
http://www.woobsha.com/index-bl-NPCs.html
they realy can help keep your downtown ect lots working better because sometimes the poor lady that cleans the loo's is over worked ^^ and slows down the customers
Forum Resident
#44 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 7:34 PM
So I thought I had already installed the last two EP's (Unleashed and Makin' Magic) I didn't have but apparently not so I installed both on my laptop. Now I know why I feel like I must play with at least two sims than just one because the social need is very difficult to keep up with, with just one sim. One challenge though is how TS implemented such an exaggerated negative impact when sims chat/share interests and they don't agree (Of course in order to have the best results my sim should buy magazines to expand their interests so other sims will have more in common. It's just that it is difficult to buy anything after the things needed because my sim has no job because they are too depressed from being lonely.) therefore just abruptly ending the conversation. Calling neighbors just to chat or inviting them over also is a venture all on it's own. Either they are at work, it's too late, etc. And that just helps in making the situation even more difficult. Oh and she did have a job but she lost it because I was multitasking and was not micromanaging her. Therefore I figure she must have been in a bad mood, didn't go to work and eventually got fired.

It's so bad, my sim had to resort to trying to befriend the stray cats and dogs.

And it gets even worse, I knew it would be a bad idea but I did it anyway.

So I got to the point where I cheated and used rosebud to help with buying better things to raise her needs more but even then she was too depressed to find a job. I'm going to start over and no cheating this time. It's just a matter of re-familiarizing myself with the gameplay mechanics but in time I will get the hang of it.

I'm pretty sure I managed better with an earlier save when I gotten Superstar.
Alchemist
#45 Old 8th May 2015 at 10:43 AM
It's easier to befriend kids, because they somehow don't got the balls to tell your adult sim to scram and that they don't feel like talking
Scholar
#46 Old 18th May 2015 at 2:20 AM
I found it especially hard to recognize the romantic socials in the pie menu. When I played my new family two weeks ago, the Newbies came over and I eventually managed to befriend them. Then I told my active sim to dance with Bob and the fraction of a second later I saw Betty slap her. Soooo, seems like dancing was flagged romantic in Sims 1. Alright, lessong learned I stopped dancing with other peopleĀ“s husbands. Two days later the Newbies came visiting again. In order to apologize to her, I had the offending sim hug Betty. And now it was Bob, who was throwing a tantrum! Turned out hugging was flagged romantic, too.
Poor Newbies...
Mad Poster
#47 Old 18th May 2015 at 5:10 AM
Oh - yes, that! A Compliment is also considered romantic. That really bothered me enough to install a jealousy modification mod.

Test Subject
#48 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 9:35 AM
The reason why The Sims 1 harder than The Sims 2 is:
1.The Sims 1 motives decay is faster than The Sims 2
2.Sims in The Sims 1 is slower than The Sims 2
3.And The Sims 2 have more useful EP and SP, that make The Sims 2 even easier
4.Relationship in The Sims 1 is difficult,and the social need is a Biggest problem in The Sims 1(that why I use Mood Booster,thanks to ATS )
Page 2 of 2