Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 11:50 AM
Default Is this new? What did you like best about TS1 then?
Is this a new forum for discussing the first game? Well, I guess that's good for completionism.

I played the first game to death - loved it and even though I love TS2 better, I still have fond, fine memories of the first one. I thought Unleashed and Makin' Magic were the best EPs. I've been reminded recently of that rollercoaster from MM - awesome. What features of TS1 did you like best?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 11:55 AM Last edited by missy harries : 9th Jul 2012 at 1:52 PM.
The build mode music! I miss hearing that, it gives me serious nostalgia and MM is still the most awsome ep from ALL the sims games :lovestruc

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 11:58 AM
Oh, Maxon! This is too funny: we must have started threads at the same time. I played with the idea of moving my post over here, but I think the topic is different enough that I'm going to leave it.

Isn't it wonderful to have a place to post about The Sims again?

The music was the best, especially the music from Unleashed and Makin' Magic. The build music was wonderful as was that happy little shopping tune that played as you perused the buy catalog. I always turn my Sims 2 radio to "shopping". It just makes me happy.

The Sims makes me think of the 50s and the "ideal" family life everyone believed they had or should have. It makes me think of sunny California with its odd fashions, endless sunshine, and emphasis on socializing.

I loved the humor in the game and how open the possibilities were for how you played or what you played.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:04 PM
Oh no, VerdeTerre - yours is a different question. That's fine. I'm sure this place will be full up soon enough. The only thing to say is that this is perhaps an indication that we spend too much time on here.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:06 PM
Too funny. Yes, I reconsidered and rewrote the post.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 1:05 PM
The music is the number one item on my list, followed by the magic system in MM and the pets in Unleased (no lie, when I reinstalled TS1 I found the pets in Unleased so much better). I've never touched the roller coaster, never actually seen it in game and had no idea it existed until people started talking about it -- I really need to find it and test it out myself.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 1:45 PM
I loved the grim reaper - you could play rock, paper, scissors with him.

Remember that your Sims could die from getting a disease from playing with their guinea pigs?

I loved that I could end up with a household of just children, if I wanted, without their being taken away by the social worker. That lead to some interesting game play.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 2:25 PM
The music gives me such nostalgia! The game just reminds me of my childhood, many fond memories of playing it with my best friend.

Makin' Magic and Unleashed where just hands down the best EPs and in my opionion the best examples of the Simming World ever made! Obvs sims 2 is a lot better, but the whole feel of them just sums up Sims for me.

I also loved the dragons <3

-and in that moment, i was infinate.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 2:50 PM
I had all the Sims 1 EPs but didn't play it to its full extent before Sims 2 came out. What sticks out for me, though, is the humor in it. Heck, I used to like flipping through the buy-mode catalog just to read all the funny and clever descriptions, which was about every object! I also liked the crank calls from psychics in the middle of the night and their "huh?" in response, and that they whistled while they washed dishes. TS2 has humor too, but not to the same extent, and that's what I've missed most from TS1.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 2:54 PM
I played the original one without any expansion pack. I found it addictive and challenging since career in the sims is harder than career in the sims 2. I remember when my sims in the sims only reach scholar in science track while Cassandra Goth in the sims 2 easily reach mad scientist in science track. The sims made me so addict to play it but the sims 2 didn't. Maybe, the sensation is different.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 4:03 PM
A new forum about The Sims 1!! That's awesome!!
There's a lot I don't remember from TS1 because I haven't played it since TS2 came out. So looking forward to read all you have to say! :D
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 5:12 PM
Music of course, I still listen to it while building houses in TS3 And many many small things that you sim could do, so many possibilities with all add-ons. And plants looked like real plants would do! lol And and and... parties! That's right, it might be unrealistic that you were able to invite complete strangers but I loved the parties with house full of different sims, especially making them all use costume box. Amazing game really.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 5:19 PM
oh i remember when i played at midnight, that burglar and fired message sound really freak me out. fortunately, they don't use it in TS2 and TS3.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 7:44 PM
Ooooooh.

I loved the theme completionism! Different sub-hoods had different janitors and pay phones and such. Other cars would pass by on the streets of Downtown. All kinds of quirky NPCs. Such a little thing, but it makes such a difference. And by extension, the wonderful music, which also was closely tied to the themes of the game. *sigh* Having real-life artists record tracks of their songs in Simlish is a fun idea, but... There were different host stands for restaurants, too, which determined what clothes the waiters would wear and what food was served...so annoying that they couldn't have included such a thing in TS2!

Other little details that really helped round out the game and add some interest: neighbors bringing over gifts! And houseplants needing watering occasionally! And lightbulbs burning out! Though those last two + the prank calls I think are definitely a little nostalgia filtered for me, since I'm pretty sure that by the time I switched to TS2 I was annoyed by those things. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all.

Also, the food carts-- sooo useful and fun! Much more realistic for street food options than the giant food counters in BV and AL. TS3 is a bit better with the inclusion of the food truck, but it's still not the same. I used to love putting together fairground lots using the Vacation carnival games ( :lovestruc siiigh....) and the food carts (I tended to leave the roller coasters to Magic Town). Plus, TS1 is the only game to properly offer an ice cream parlor, thanks to one of the little food stands.

There are very lovely objects in TS1, too, that would be more like what Adele made for TS2: beautiful textures on fairly simple objects. I love the big fountain that came in Hot Date and how perfectly stone/cement-like it looked or the candle displays in Unleashed stores or that green velvety loveseat and the white wrought iron cafe tables (also from UL) or the flour and honey stands in MM...

I'll just stop there and say that I would totally buy a TS1 reproduction for an updated game engine, even if it were identical right down to the typo in the stray cat's name (Fluffly). Nuts to the whole argument about rebuying the same features!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 8:43 PM
I loved the music, I listen to it all the time when I'm working on computers, it keeps everybody cheerful! The customers like it too. (We play music from LA Noire and Heavy Rain too. Beats the radio.)

What I loved about The Sims 1 was how zany and . . . so very 90's it was. It embodied culture and even still makes you feel at home with it. I miss the food carts and Landgraab Mall, but luckily I still have it installed so maybe later on today I'll give it a whirl after packing up stuff (we're moving)! The towns were so detailed and I absolutely ADORED Downtown (if you look at the edges of it, you can see construction sites, power lines, etc!) and Magic Town, Vacation Island was so cool, I miss the snowboarding and ahhhhh I'm having a nostalgia attack!

I love making cool hangouts and places for my sims to go and do EVERYTHING on that lot, I remember I have this house with three college rejects who constantly party.

At EVERY party, there'd be a secret meeting or something in the loo, because the same people would go in there EVERY. FREAKING. TIME. and talk for HOURS.

I love the little detailings of the game, like the bags of chips on the cheap buffet table.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 8:59 PM
I actually just found all my old Sims discs, and I reinstalled them a few hours ago. Man, keeping sims happy is so tough in TS1! pretty much all my sims did was eat, sleep, watch tv, then repeat with some toileting and showering mixed in. I love how quirky and campy it is, like someone above me said it's just so 90's and embodies it well. Magic Town is a hoot, Downtown is awesome looking. I think a lot of my feelings are nostalgia too. I thought "oh ts1 has crappy graphics and limited gameplay" a few days ago, but now that I play it again, wowzers! There's actually a lot to do and it brings back a lot of fond memories.
Test Subject
#17 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 10:03 PM
Yes, the humor is the original Sims was to die for! It was very cheeky, appealed to the younger crowd, yet still adult and serious enough. Just think about the messages you would get if you called somebody and they didn't want to talk to you.

Bella says, "On my list of things to do, seeing you is at the bottom."
Scholar
#18 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 10:38 PM
I've always had TS1 on my computer, and still have all my downloads for it (was so addicted to downloading during TS1)

Can't say I've ever played it again with any seriousness though, I tried to once, but didn't last long which saddened me. I do like to start it up once a year or so and get all nostalgic about some of those objects that never made it to other versions, which totally should have. I don't miss the loveheart bed but it is iconic of TS1 none-the-less.

Glad to see they're bringing back the skeleton maid in TS3 in the upcoming EP.

I liked the skydiving and scuba diving units, the dance cage, the campfire that they actually sang at...the way they'd just drop a plate on the floor if they couldn't put it anywhere, a handful of sims would walk all over it or stand in it while having a conversation and then another sim would come along and eat it....yummy lol
.....I seem to recall being able to use the move objects cheat and then selling the cockroaches for a silly amount of cash. I loved the rollercoasters from MM that someone else mentioned....and the puzzle with the tombstones in magic town. Loved the homely looking oven etc from MM, plus the recipe book.

Fave EPs were unleashed and MM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 10:59 PM
If I had more space on my computer I would install all my Sims 1 disks again. I don't think I fully explored it before Sims 2 came out as quite a few things people mention I don't seem to remember and I had all Ep’s except Making magic which was probably a mistake on my part. I know just before I got Sims 2 being rather taken with the snow holiday place. I seem to recall a bear skin rug and some sims getting 'frisky' on it.

I've had Sims 2 sims walk on a plate and then eat it too!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Is this a new forum for discussing the first game? Well, I guess that's good for completionism.

Yes, we noticed that there were several threads about Sims 1 recently, so thought it would be good to start a forum for them.

The thing I liked best about Sims 1 was the simple complexity of it all. For example, the Makin Magic expansion gave you the duels, the games that the vendors played (the tombstone game, the cloud game, the mushroom game etc)., the purchaseable items, the charms, the spells... there was a lot in that EP! The same with vacations and fame, they really were able to pack a lot of things to do into the game, because of course they weren't developing the sims themselves to the same extent as they have done with Sims 2 and 3 (wants, traits, lifestages etc.). So the Sims 1 seems a lot simpler to build and play (vanilla, anyway), and yet in places it seemed a lot more complex that its successors.
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#21 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 1:08 AM
The very first Sims games really felt like the people putting them together loved them a whole lot, and I think that came through in all of the quirky details. "Simple complexity" is a good way to describe it, simsample. The games were witty and charming and wacky, and I feel like they pulled you in in a way that the more recent games have never quite been able to capture. The awesome soundtrack and neighborhoods were a really important part of that, I think. Man... I still go back and listen to the music from Hot Date and Makin' Magic all the time.

Maybe this is just nostalgia making everything seem more spectacular than it actually was, but exploring the neighborhoods in Sims 2 and Sims 3 has never quite lived up to my memories of the first games.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Inventor
#22 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 3:25 AM
Ohmagawd, thanks for making a sims 1 section!!! :DDDD Now all we need is a Sims 1 download section, then the website will be complete! ;D

But seriously, this is awesome! ^^
Will there be a Sims 1 picture thread in Creativity? *bats eyelashes* Or can we have a thread here? :D
#23 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 12:25 PM
OMG!!! SIMS 1 forum!! *sorry for super-excited expression* after I left the internet for 1 day.. my life is now complete

Haha sims 1 voice, I still remember exactly what they're saying, their rant... they constantly complaints for every actions with their funny voice, that made me really laugh, the part of the most memorable the Sims was.
I've played different varieties on that game until now, play for the success and rich without cheats, build fabulous house, play "Hunger Games" mode, experimenting, burn burn and burn more sims... never get bored of them

The sims look silly, "lego"-ed people, but somehow the gameplay is more challenging and simulation wise. The best challenge for me, playing the memory test mini-game "choose 3 chances" without taking any notes when the sims are trying to record on studio, photo-shoot, act in Superstar Studio.
Also the music, the fun, interactive objects, the gameplay, much much much much much better compared the new Sims series now.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 12:36 PM Last edited by Artimis : 10th Jul 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Posted it when I had not finished
At the time I first I was adout ... 4 or younger mayde even older when I frist played it, at the time I had never played a game liked it. I loved it but then .... sims 2 came and I loved that more. Years later I brought Makin' Magic for it but it did'nt work now . This could have been the end of sims 1 for me but then I got the entire collection with everything sims 1 expanison pack in. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!! Makin' Magic is my favorite expanison for sims 1.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Forum Resident
#25 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
Ohmagawd, thanks for making a sims 1 section!!! :DDDD Now all we need is a Sims 1 download section, then the website will be complete! ;D

But seriously, this is awesome! ^^
Will there be a Sims 1 picture thread in Creativity? *bats eyelashes* Or can we have a thread here? :D

Oh my gosh YES! A Sims 1 Picture Thread is needed! It would totally make me play the game more.
Page 1 of 4