Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2014 at 12:06 AM
Default What can the Sims 1 offer that more recent games can't?
Tell me.

I must know. Now.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th May 2014 at 1:52 AM
It's like most older games that still have a substantial following- the ideas are better than later versions! Obviously the graphics have improved since TS1 came out, but I (and quite a few other people, it seems) think that the IDEAS behind the original game are better than anything we've had from EAxis since. EPs like Superstar and Makin' Magic have gameplay that's actually more fun in many regards, and the aesthetic of Unleashed is more cohesive, both on lots that came with the game and lots created by players, than later releases have.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:27 AM
Harder game play when not using cheats, but after you learn how to do it will help out.
Sims 2 is easy to play without cheats and Sims 3 was way to easy to play and you don't even need to cheat in Sims 3.
Sims 1 and 2 were fun to play but Sims 3 with all the bugs it STILL has and EA still refuse to fix to me is no fun.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:37 AM
Erm, stripper cakes.

Other than that, I enjoy that it is more of a challenge to do well - just making a friend takes a lot of work. Especially if your sim only has 3 outgoing points.

I enjoy The Sims 2 and The Sims 1 and alternate my playing of them.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 16th May 2014 at 5:14 AM
Gnomes.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th May 2014 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Soapsim1
Gnomes.

Your answer leaves a lot to be desired. Try again.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 16th May 2014 at 4:24 PM
Also the sheer absurdities of some things that happen in the game.

Fireplaces + Rugs = total chaos.
Fireworks in the house = a raging fire that destroys everything.
Voodoo doll.
The genie lamp that can flood your house, set fire to everything, give you tonnes of cockroaches, kill all your plants, ruin your relationships but also give you money, give you a fountain or a pinball machine.

A lot of things in Sims 2 is too perfect, everything has a good outcome.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th May 2014 at 4:42 PM
Fabulous answers, everyone. How would you say the differences affect your play style?
Test Subject
#9 Old 16th May 2014 at 8:13 PM
I'd play it just for the nostalgia. It's been awhile since I have, though, so I can't pick out any really specific benefits.

I'd have to say I had a blast with Sims 2. It had good enough graphics to keep my interest, and it was the most fun to cheat with.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th May 2014 at 4:05 PM
OMG those gnomes! You'd make them at the workbench, and then you could enchant them with a spell and they'd run around doing your gardening; but if you had the nectar press they'd climb in, drink up, and stumble around getting roaring drunk.

I was so disappointed that you couldn't enchant the gargoyles you made with the Makin' Magic workbench. How freakin' obvious was that, seriously?

I miss those workbenches. There's no point getting an OFB crafting station unless you plan to go for the badges, but the original workbenches built mechanical skill as well as creating gnomes that you could sell for increasing amounts of money.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th May 2014 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I was so disappointed that you couldn't enchant the gargoyles you made with the Makin' Magic workbench. How freakin' obvious was that, seriously?

Right? Should have naturally been an enchantable burglar repellent, if you ask me! Honestly, I think the "Enchant" spell might have been the best one from MM... it just let you create so many fun magical touches which, even if they didn't actually do anything, certainly made your house feel a lot more "magical!"

Forum Resident
#12 Old 17th May 2014 at 6:31 PM
I haven't actually played much of makin' magic. Only because it is one of my more recent expansion packs, but I find it really hard to actually do,made harder by the fact that you need magicoins to buy ingredients rather than simoleons. Without cheats at least. I must get around to making a witchy house and trying it out properly.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 18th May 2014 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Fabulous answers, everyone. How would you say the differences affect your play style?

What she said.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
OMG those gnomes! You'd make them at the workbench, and then you could enchant them with a spell and they'd run around doing your gardening; but if you had the nectar press they'd climb in, drink up, and stumble around getting roaring drunk.

I miss those workbenches. There's no point getting an OFB crafting station unless you plan to go for the badges, but the original workbenches built mechanical skill as well as creating gnomes that you could sell for increasing amounts of money.

They would also go rogue if you used the amulet for the perfect garden. I worked my way through the spell book and with that one all my gnomes started stomping on my flowers. One even kicked my sim when she tried to stop it.
I save my enchantment spells for the gnomes. Everything else, like the fridge or the chess board was useless to waste a spell on. Flamingo was funny but not as useful as free mini gardeners.

I recently made a sim who uses gardening to make his own food and make gnomes to earn money. It was pretty challenging at first but after a while it went really well. He's now maxed his mechanical skill and every gnome is worth 100 simoleons. It's almost a shame I need to sell them. Otherwise I would leave an army of gnomes on my lawn.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 18th May 2014 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Soapsim1
I save my enchantment spells for the gnomes. Everything else, like the fridge or the chess board was useless to waste a spell on. Flamingo was funny but not as useful as free mini gardeners.

The chessboard, as I recall, only needed to be Enchanted once, and then forever after that it would occasionally start playing itself- no Sim interaction required! Can't remember whether that was true of the fridge or not...

I tended to ignore the flamingos unless I was having a magical Sim throw a party- in that case,a few flamingo dancers were useful for keeping guests happy! Gnomes though... Probably the best staff your Sims would ever have, IMHO- and you don't even have to pay them!

Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th May 2014 at 8:22 AM
I find the strategy of Sims 1 very engaging. It's hard for a reason. You get so caught up in making sure your Sim is happy. And how do you do that? By trying to find a balance in life between taking care of mundane needs, social life, and career advancement. It's a struggle that requires good strategies. Then there's the comedy. Neither Sims that followed has it to the same degree. Of course, at its base, The Sims is about buying stuff. That was the inspiration for the game, according to Will Wright. None of this quite matches in The Sims 2. The needs are easier to meet, Sims can almost be self-sufficient, it's easy to get job promotions, the comedy is there but it's weaker, and, while the game is still about buying stuff, money comes fairly easily.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 18th May 2014 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I find the strategy of Sims 1 very engaging. It's hard for a reason. You get so caught up in making sure your Sim is happy. And how do you do that? By trying to find a balance in life between taking care of mundane needs, social life, and career advancement. It's a struggle that requires good strategies. Then there's the comedy. Neither Sims that followed has it to the same degree. Of course, at its base, The Sims is about buying stuff. That was the inspiration for the game, according to Will Wright. None of this quite matches in The Sims 2. The needs are easier to meet, Sims can almost be self-sufficient, it's easy to get job promotions, the comedy is there but it's weaker, and, while the game is still about buying stuff, money comes fairly easily.

True, Sims 1 is pretty hard. I am doing a lot better at it now than ten years ago, but still it is nowhere near as easy as The Sims 2. Needs drop a lot faster and building and maintaining friendships is much more difficult as well, with all those bloody friends always arriving in a sour mood which makes them reject all but the most basic interactions. The friend requirements for job promotion are pretty insane. I have been playing a single sim who works in the paranormal career track. She was doing well and after a while had made a decent amount of money, but getting to ten friends with one sim for the next promotion was nearly impossible. I married her to the gnome-making sim and had him build a few friendships and finally got the family friend count to 10. Promotion! Yay! Now she needs 13. LOL. In The Sims 2 they fly up the career ladder, get rich in no time and have plenty of friends to boot. Within one generation of adults the challenge tends to be gone.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th May 2014 at 2:58 PM
I had strategies for all of that, which resulted in my eventually playing all the sims the same way; so I moved on to Sims2 and discovered The Drama! I don't play any two Sims2 families the same because they're so much more individualized; and I laugh a lot more. Resource management was harder in Sims1, but Sims2 has other things going on besides resource management.

However, there is a lot to miss from Sims. Like, singing to babies, and singing in the shower, and rollercoasters, and bunnies in the garden, and cats that curled up on the sim's feet while she was at the computer...

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th May 2014 at 3:21 AM
Life is very difficult for single Sims in the original game. Sometimes, it was worth it to have children just so they could make and maintain friendships.

One of the families that I enjoy recreating again and again in The Sims for the challenge of it is my Yaya family. They consist of one adult and six children. No cheats. It's a very tough beginning to the game and one strategy is to find a mate and marry as soon as possible to make life easier. However, given there is so much to pay attention to in the beginning, it can be hard to put the necessary energy into building a relationship with another adult.

Test Subject
#19 Old 20th May 2014 at 10:34 PM Last edited by Eintity : 21st May 2014 at 9:53 PM.
A great soundtrack.
I mean, the BF3 theme song sounds like a swarm of bees.
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th May 2014 at 3:07 PM
What I love the most about the original Sims is that it didn't take itself seriously. Really, stripper cakes, genies lamps, voodoo dolls, the sad clown, and the list goes on and on. Even the object descriptions were funnier than what they are in The Sims 2 (can't say anything about The Sims 3-- haven't really played it that much). Honestly, the game's comedic value makes it a lot more enjoyable to me.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 25th May 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by therover
What I love the most about the original Sims is that it didn't take itself seriously. Really, stripper cakes, genies lamps, voodoo dolls, the sad clown, and the list goes on and on. Even the object descriptions were funnier than what they are in The Sims 2 (can't say anything about The Sims 3-- haven't really played it that much). Honestly, the game's comedic value makes it a lot more enjoyable to me.

Very true, I just used to sit for hours and read the descriptions of everything
Field Researcher
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 6:23 AM
Really there needs to be a hybrid: Sims ideas with Sims 2 graphics. My life, would be complete.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Valentine90
Very true, I just used to sit for hours and read the descriptions of everything

There needs to be a book that has all the descriptions from The Sims 1. I would read it.

I am the most unsavory charlatan.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eintity
There needs to be a book that has all the descriptions from The Sims 1. I would read it.

Would you read it in blog form?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 2:31 PM
I thought they had the descriptions in the game guides from Prima. Check this out! And this , too!

Page 1 of 2