Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2015 at 3:17 PM
Default Origin looking for feedback - we could ask for Sims 1!
When I loaded up Origin this morning, there was a survey asking how likely I was to recommend Origin to a friend. It included a box for commentary and I included a wish list in my feedback. I asked for Sims 1 to be made downloadable. Why not? They probably won't do anything about it if only a couple of people ask for it, but what if lots and lots of people asked for it? What if Origin (EA) saw $$$ and realized this is still a viable market. I thought it was worth the effort and cost me little to make the plea for it and thought you all would want to know about this, too.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th May 2015 at 8:58 PM
On Origin? Really? I would rather have the game digitally available and not rely on a client.

I'm not sure if it is viable, it is a very old game by this point and The Sims 2 is considered an overall improvement by most people from The Sims 1.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2015 at 12:23 AM
I think there's a market if only for the nostalgia or the curiosity for those who were too young. Start talking about the game and people express a wish to get it on their computers again. There's a thriving community over at CTO.

Digitally available? Do you mean on a disk? I understand. It seems to be the trend to move towards the client approach with games now such as Origin, Steam, and the like. One advantage is that the game is then always available to you and can't get scratched or lost. Also, some people think it would be great to throw on a netbook or tablet and this is a way to accomplish that. Or did you mean a download that you then own on your computer?

Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th May 2015 at 4:42 AM
That would be really neat, especially if it was the Complete Collection! I'd like to imagine that even if they charged something like 10 or 15 dollars that people would be drawn, I mean, the game practically is the grandfather of what we know and love today! What would be really special is if they made it a part of their "On the House" offers, but I wouldn't get my hopes up...!
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th May 2015 at 9:35 PM Last edited by Midnight ADR : 18th May 2015 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Sometimes I forget to type words.
@VerDeTerre, I was referring to a download that you could store on a hard drive and/or cloud and install whenever, GoG is a good example of this.

As you rightly said, In the case of services such as Steam you do *not* own the game and, should the service close down, you could lose *all* the games on said account. Not likely with Steam and Origin but the risk is there and has happened before. (See "Games for Windows LIVE")

I am curious, I wonder how many people bought SimCity 2000 when it was released on Origin with a price tag? If that sold well, then I don't see why The Sims 1 would not.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th May 2015 at 4:32 PM
But if you answer such surveys, watch out if EA asks for your age, it seems. Apparently, people have reported that a survey just goes away if you click on an older age that EA apparently doesn't find important for its game development.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th May 2015 at 10:50 PM
That's interesting...luckily, they didn't ask my age. I realize that the younger people are considered the target demographic, but if you think about it, the older people have the discretionary income necessary to spend on Sims type games.

Test Subject
#8 Old 25th May 2015 at 6:51 PM
I wonder why the younger generation are considered the target demographic? I still play the game and I am 27.

I feel bad now.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th May 2015 at 7:05 PM
You're feeling bad for liking the game? My feeling is that EA/Maxis missed who their actual audience was. It includes 13 year olds, but I know many older people, including middle aged folks, who love this game. (I didn't mean you - 27 is not middle aged unless you're planning on a short life).

Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th May 2015 at 9:00 PM
I would totally play it if it were downloadable.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#11 Old 26th May 2015 at 12:27 AM
Perhaps EA thinks the younger demographics are still easier to target to because:

- they can bug their parents to buy things (e.g. the parents will always buy whatever "thing" for them, even if it's last for a short period of time),
- they think 13 year-olds aren't cautious enough to make informed purchase decisions (e.g. buying on impulse, rather than taking the time to shop around and read reviews).
- they don't have the same responsibilities as older demographics (who may save money for larger or more recurring household purchases), & therefore their disposable income can be spent on a whim (such as for half-baked, low replay valued games).
- and a host of other reasons that could be concocted.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th May 2015 at 2:56 AM
All good points, d_dgjdhh. What they're not seeing though, is just how addicted we are! I remember sending my kid off to school and waiting until the mall opened and running into the gaming store when one of the new expansions for Sims 1 came out. There were so many other mommies there and the store clerks were just shaking their heads about how intense we all were.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 26th May 2015 at 4:24 AM
Those are good points but they have missed that a large part of their sales comes from us female mums who have bought everything since Sims 1 base game. We know what passed Sims games have had, we have the cash to buy, we do notice what they have taken out and this mum has closed her wallet because she did not get her babies and family play.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th May 2015 at 11:06 AM
Joeandsarah77, if you get a survey from Origin, definitely throw in your feedback whether they ask for it or not. We got off topic a little from the original post because gaziana pointed out that the surveys sometimes disappear if you aren't the right age demographic, which led to a discussion about EAs targeted demographics.. They didn't ask me in this survey, so clearly age was not being considered for this feedback. I'm not sure which game I was playing when I got the survey. I play both Sims 4 and Sims 2 through Origin. I don't have to go through Origin for Sims 2, but my thinking is that it's helpful to have hours racked up playing that game as that also gives EA feedback, indirectly.

The survey brings up another question, does Origin have my age on file?

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th May 2015 at 2:06 PM
Sims3 was my 1st Sims game. Then I got Sims2: The Ultimate Collection during Origin's limited time offer. Finally, I caved and picked-up my copy of Sims4 (Limited Edition). I never got to played Sims1. How is it?
Test Subject
#16 Old 26th May 2015 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 5782341b77vl
Sims3 was my 1st Sims game. Then I got Sims2: The Ultimate Collection during Origin's limited time offer. Finally, I caved and picked-up my copy of Sims4 (Limited Edition). I never got to played Sims1. How is it?

It's the game that started it all! Amazing to those of us who bought it, I know I was mesmerized as my creative tendencies were allowed to flow out of me like a milk carton.

Perhaps a little dated now though as The Sims 2 is considered to be an overall improvement by many.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th May 2015 at 10:24 PM
It's a limiting game, but I marvel at it remembering how new and different it was when it came out. There were NO goals! You had to work around the limitations of the games. It's hard. It's silly. There's soooo much humor that was never recreated. It's classic. The AI is amazing for when it was created. It required more strategizing to play that the subsequent games, unless you chose to cheat. Cheating could be very interesting. It was all so interesting and engaging.

Those little people became my life. I dreamt of little Sim houses I would visit. I dreamt I was a Sim.

Scholar
#18 Old 26th May 2015 at 11:53 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 27th May 2015 at 12:06 AM.
Plus even though there's "loading screens", it's very quick and you don't notice it (nowadays it takes a few seconds to load, with ALL expansion packs together). Your Sim can go to:

- Studio Town (for making movies, music, spa treatments, etc.),
- Downtown (for restaurant dining & dates)
- Vacation (lumped into snowy, beach, or forest settings)
- Magic Town (the best town, buy potions, learn spells, go on carnival rides, etc.)
- Old Town (the town to buy pets, cats, etc.)

And the humor is much better than the current version (less toilet humor). Also, you can experience home robberies more often (something I miss from The Sims games). And the music was quite unique (something which I continue to listen to, along with SimCity 3000's jazz music).

However, it's a product of its time and has limitations. Its graphic images IMO is much better in that it mixes details and colours nicely and comes off like art at times. But it's also an isometric (fake) 3D view of objects, with limited zoom in-out options. You also can't rotate or raise the view anyway you'd like. If I were to go back to playing it, I'd probably play it for the nostalgia, and to see what my archive files of the game look like. I still have backups of my game from a decade ago. Don't remember what my neighborhoods look like very much. I probably wouldn't play it as much as The Sims 2, though.

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
#19 Old 27th May 2015 at 1:17 AM
One last thing I love about "The Sims 1", I can decide what happens to the Goth family, as well as the Newbies, Michael Bachelor and all the other default starter families. Ha!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 29th May 2015 at 2:46 AM
I loved sims 1, it was innovative and very very hard!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#21 Old 29th May 2015 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
The survey brings up another question, does Origin have my age on file?

Yes they do. Origin has pretty much EVERYTHING on your computer "on file". Read the Terms of Service for Origin. They target personal data and use "personally identifiable data" to "monitor online behaviors". You also agree to allow access to your social security number, bank account numbers and credit card numbers, if they're stored anywhere on your hard drive. By using Origin, you agree to allow this.

A major German newspaper has produced evidence that Origin targets tax preparation software for data collection, too. If you use any tax prep software, it locates it and feeds that info back to EA. And by using Origin, you agreed to allow it. Origin's standard Terms of Service have been found ILLEGAL in Germany.

I know lots of people say, "You only have to use Origin to activate the game. You can play offline after that". This is true... However, when you start up your computer, you activate Origin's data mining. It collects your data constantly. You don't have to be online for it to troll your data and store it. Next time you go online, Origin uploads all the data it collected while offline, directly to EA.

It is ALL in their Terms of Service. You agree to allow it automatically, when you download Origin.

If I got a survey from Origin asking for my feedback, I'd tell them to allow me to play my game without pillaging my personal data. I've never pirated a game... But I have to ask, why is it okay for them to steal our personal data but cry like stuck pigs if people steal their game?? I'd steal from them before I let them get away with stealing from me. Instead, I don't play EA games anymore. I'm still happy with my TS2.

As for TS1, it was a great game. It had a lot of little quirks and humor to it... I think, as the Sims franchise grew, it attempted to become "safer" and tried to never offend anyone. The result was blandness. Less self-control, more central control. TS1 was limited by what technology had to offer at the time. TS2 was a great improvement. But somewhere in the TS2 development (between the Base game and the last EP/SP) they lost their nerve.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 29th May 2015 at 11:43 PM
I believe who made the game changed at the Pet's EP, so that would be when things started going downhill.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th May 2015 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
Yes they do. Origin has pretty much EVERYTHING on your computer "on file". Read the Terms of Service for Origin. They target personal data and use "personally identifiable data" to "monitor online behaviors". You also agree to allow access to your social security number, bank account numbers and credit card numbers, if they're stored anywhere on your hard drive. By using Origin, you agree to allow this.
That doesn't sound good. I don't want to turn this into a long discussion, because it's off topic, but it's quite an accusation, so I wanted to look at it. I checked online for their terms of service and found this:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/ There was stuff about online behavior as it related to interacting with their fan site, but nothing about any online anything not related to EA or anything about "personally identifiable data". This document is dated Sept 2012. *I looked carefully at this document, then found some later documents that I didn't read as carefully, but used Control + F to search for key words without luck. Here are the other documents

From my Google search, it looks like the outrage took place in 2011. Perhaps the TOS changed after that?

Test Subject
#24 Old 30th May 2015 at 6:28 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 31st May 2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: um, don't quote spam?
Ooookay then.

@VerDeTerre, I think it is safe to assume that Origin know everything they want to know about your system once you have installed it.

In my attempt to bring the post back on topic, I will ask the following question: What is it with people and online clients anyway? I never understood peoples apparent obsession with such things.
Scholar
#25 Old 30th May 2015 at 10:51 PM
I guess because with online clients, you're able to install things from any computer by downloading the software from the publisher. Also, because it's direct from the publisher, it's assumed the publisher will provide updates or patches, and the client gets informed directly, instead of through other means. Another advantage, you don't need a physical medium cluttering your storage, oxidizing from the environment, or breaking in pieces due to clumsy handling. Also, you don't need to enter a brick-and-mortar store to obtain a physical copy of the game. Some people have preferences of getting something immediately, without travel costs. So getting it directly online could save the hassle.

There's multiple other reasons that could be appealing to them, and it boils down to preference, even if it means the online clients agreeing to having their personal information collected by the publisher.

For myself, I prefer to hold physical copies of software in case I wish to re-install it again without downloading the software. I believe that another hidden cost that people may not consider is Internet bandwidth. Imagine you're reinstalling software, and you have limited bandwidth, say 40gb a month. If the software is several GBs large, and you break the software multiple times, you'll have to consider not going over your bandwidth. Oh sure, you can get unlimited bandwidth. However, if you don't use too much every month, why pay monthly for a higher cost Internet service? Why choose re-downloading through bandwidth when one can re-download through a physical medium, such as a CD/DVD?

Also, I'm always skeptical of a publisher who may choose to discontinue servicing old games, and not being able to provide them for the future. Large publishers such as EA won't go bankrupt or taken over anytime soon, but other publishers or providers can be at risk. So one's purchase of an online product can disappear along with the publisher, rather than a physical medium whose fault for disappearance will be the end-user, if the end-user breaks it.

Page 1 of 2