Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14901 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by *_Drew~
Those are the sizes for the easel - I'm talking about the canvas ones, with new shapes (oval, squared and horizontal)
I'm asking beause the pics I'm currently using (random ones found on tumblr and saved in The Simsâ„¢ 2 Ultimate Collection\Paintings) are always stretched.

Oh you mean to put them in the Pictures folder? The standard ones seem to be 156 pixels wide and around 250 pixels high (often 243) - that is the pictures from EAxis included. Multiples of that work too (so 312 wide - the height doesn't seem to matter quite so much).

It would depend on what the creator did with the mapping. Personally, if I were making that mod, I would make all the canvases to use the same size - for two reasons:
1. it would allow users to use any picture they currently have in their Paintings folder on any of the canvases instead of special collections for each canvas
2. it would avoid extensive remapping and sizing as you made them

I don't know what they did but to test whether they use the same mapping-size relationship, you could try one of the EAxis default pictures on each canvas and see if any are distorted. If not, they all use the standard size. It doesn't say anything specifically on the download page about the mapping - and if I'd done something with that, I'd certainly mention it. I would guess they use the standard sizes. I might check ...

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Instructor
#14902 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
It would depend on what the creator did with the mapping. Personally, if I were making that mod, I would make all the canvases to use the same size - for two reasons:
1. it would allow users to use any picture they currently have in their Paintings folder on any of the canvases instead of special collections for each canvas
2. it would avoid extensive remapping and sizing as you made them

That's what I was trying to find out, but to be honest I didn't know what to look for in SimPe. I thought there might have been some kind of "interaction" with the empy shape so I could take the size from there - however, I don't think I'm skilled enough XD
I don't know what they did but to test whether they use the same mapping-size relationship, you could try one of the EAxis default pictures on each canvas and see if any are distorted. If not, they all use the standard size. It doesn't say anything specifically on the download page about the mapping - and if I'd done something with that, I'd certainly mention it. I would guess they use the standard sizes. I might check ...

My guess is that the Oval uses the standard vertical size, while the Squared should be like the FT Architecture Reward. No clue about the Horizontal one.
Moreover, I was trying to look for the maxis sample and they have weird size (845x768, 1070x814 and 1136x844 for instance) and I'm not able to determinate a smaller size.
Forum Resident
#14903 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:31 AM
That's what I was trying to find out, but to be honest I didn't know what to look for in SimPe. I thought there might have been some kind of "interaction" with the empy shape so I could take the size from there - however, I don't think I'm skilled enough XD

My guess is that the Oval uses the standard vertical size, while the Squared should be like the FT Architecture Reward. No clue about the Horizontal one.
Moreover, I was trying to look for the maxis sample and they have weird size (845x768, 1070x814 and 1136x844 for instance) and I'm not able to determinate a smaller size.

Horizontal could be the same as the oval and standard size, but rotated on its side, maybe?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14904 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:34 AM

Yes, I think the Oval uses the standard size - as you can see in the picture the oval looks about right proportion-wise where on the other two shapes - the square and horizontal just stretch the texture over the larger surface. What that means is the mapping is the same for the different sizes but because the display area is bigger, the image is distorted on the square and the horizontal. The horizontal looks like a straight re-proportion with the height being the original width and the width being the original height. To make textures for this shape particularly, you'd need to re-size the image in the same way. It's not rotated - that won't work.

Having said that, what exactly are you trying to do? Are you replacing the default images that the sims paint when they 'practice painting' or are you just wanting to add extra images that only the more creative sims can paint via painting a custom painting?

If it's the second one, all you need do is drop images in the Paintings folder. As I said, the standard images are 156 pixels wide - that is to fit on a standard easel shape. So that would work for the oval shape. As I also said, you can use bigger images - say 312 or even 624 if you like. This gives better definition and detail (I'd use 312 myself just to keep file sizes down a bit). When I want a landscape painting, I just use a landscape shaped picture in that folder and only use it on the horizontal canvas. I'd just be careful to keep it at a reasonable size and the right colour depth.

If you're trying to replace the standard images that all sims paint - those have to be replaced in the modded objects files I think. I don't think you can have a second custom set. Looking at the files, there are two with images that the sims will use when you ask them to 'practice painting' (without specifying a custom image). The files are AnoeskaB_Maxis_More_Functional_Painting_Easels_Canvas_Small_Horizontal_1_-_needed_for_p and AnoeskaB_Maxis_More_Functional_Painting_Easels_Canvas_Small_Normal_-_needed_for_pi. The images in both are 256x256 (512x512 would work too probably) and that's the size you should use for both since the object is mapped to that size. What I can see in the horizontal file is that the original maker has squashed some of the images in the horizontal plane so that when they are mapped onto the landscape canvas they look more normal. And that's what you'd have to do too. The problem here is that the ALL canvases are slaved to one of those two files and sims will use the available images randomly so if you make an image for the normal canvas, if the square canvas is slaved to that mesh then if the image gets used on a square mesh, it's going to distort and there's nothing really you can do about that. Each shape is not mapped individually. I'd guess the oval and standard portrait are slaved together and maybe the landscape and square though it's not clear to me what the square is doing (without doing the tedious job of digging into the links in SimPE).
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Instructor
#14905 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
Horizontal could be the same as the oval and standard size, but rotated on its side, maybe?

lol that's definitely the one, sometimes I surprise myself with my lack of logic.
Yes, I think the Oval uses the standard size - as you can see in the picture the oval looks about right proportion-wise where on the other two shapes - the square and horizontal just stretch the texture over the larger surface. What that means is the mapping is the same for the different sizes but because the display area is bigger, the image is distorted on the square and the horizontal. The horizontal looks like a straight re-proportion with the height being the original width and the width being the original height. To make textures for this shape particularly, you'd need to re-size the image in the same way. It's not rotated - that won't work.

Having said that, what exactly are you trying to do? Are you replacing the default images that the sims paint when they 'practice painting' or are you just wanting to add extra images that only the more creative sims can paint via painting a custom painting?

If it's the second one, all you need do is drop images in the Paintings folder. As I said, the standard images are 156 pixels wide - that is to fit on a standard easel shape. So that would work for the oval shape. As I also said, you can use bigger images - say 312 or even 624 if you like. This gives better definition and detail (I'd use 312 myself just to keep file sizes down a bit). When I want a landscape painting, I just use a landscape shaped picture in that folder and only use it on the horizontal canvas. I'd just be careful to keep it at a reasonable size and the right colour depth.

Sorry if I cut you wonderful (and detailed) explanation Maxon, but those numbers are exactely what I needed
Now I just need to start over with some pics and resize them the proper way.
Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate the fact that you even opened the game to check if for me, it was very kind of you!
Lab Assistant
#14906 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 10:30 PM
About my cashier with a busted neck, it looks like this is a problem with the Maxis clothes mesh, because I went in debug mode in CAS and made a fat teen male wearing the cashier outfit, and the neck gap shows up on every skintone. I'll just ignore it for now. The same neck gap is also on some of the fat teen male career outfits, too.

Some more stupid questions coming up...

1) I know deleting a grave is bad, but is having an urn smashed a bad thing if it's not deleted? Playing the Capps in Veronaville, Tybalt decided to smash his parents' urns because of low aspiration. I did debug mode shift+click to repair the urns (I'll pretend they picked up the ashes and put them in new urns - I feel like that should be an option anyways!). The ghosts should still be in the urns and work normally now, right?

2) Should one avoid saving or closing a lot if the pet bird is out of its cage? I feel like I heard somewhere that you should make sure the remote control car isn't in use when you save, because it runs on an NPC, and since the bird flies around in the room I assume it operates the same way, right? Also, the "set free" option on the birdcage - does that mean get rid of the bird? Never given my sims a pet bird before but they wanted one.
Mad Poster
#14907 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 10:36 PM
Smashing urns is OK, I think, but having sims clean up a smashed urn is the same as deleting the urn. Cyjon has a mod that prevents sims from cleaning up smashed urns autonomously.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14908 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:42 PM
@baticeer]

1) I know deleting a grave is bad, but is having an urn smashed a bad thing if it's not deleted? Playing the Capps in Veronaville, Tybalt decided to smash his parents' urns because of low aspiration. I did debug mode shift+click to repair the urns (I'll pretend they picked up the ashes and put them in new urns - I feel like that should be an option anyways!). The ghosts should still be in the urns and work normally now, right?

Just make sure you have the essential mod 'nounlinkondelete' http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=2083.0 That stops all corruption from smashed and cleaned up urns and vanishing gravestones. If you don't have that, go get it.

2) Should one avoid saving or closing a lot if the pet bird is out of its cage? I feel like I heard somewhere that you should make sure the remote control car isn't in use when you save, because it runs on an NPC, and since the bird flies around in the room I assume it operates the same way, right? Also, the "set free" option on the birdcage - does that mean get rid of the bird? Never given my sims a pet bird before but they wanted one.[/QUOTE]

I've always done that, but I don't know if it's needed or not. Set free will make the bird disappear for good and you will have to restock the cage.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#14909 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 7:42 AM Last edited by Sketching : 18th Aug 2018 at 8:32 AM.
Potentially silly question ahead - is it possible to change how neighborhood roads look like in lot view after you change the neighborhood terrain?

That might sound confusing so for context: I'm starting out some challenge hoods, one of which is the apocalypse, and I thought I'd like to later change the dirt/desert terrain into grass to reflect the improved natural state. I grabbed a test hood and used cheats to change the terrain and it worked, but when I'm in lot view, the neighbors still have the desert terrain roadsides that aren't there when you play them in lot view. The desert terrain is also present on empty roads without lots.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, but a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

Edit: I guess I could pretend that nature's been affected by the apocalypse so much that it can't decide on a terrain...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14910 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 9:54 AM
The edges of the road are not cut outs so you need to update the road default textures with the grass terrain too. I think there are some cut out defaults somewhere though.

Mad Poster
#14911 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Smashing urns is OK, I think, but having sims clean up a smashed urn is the same as deleting the urn. Cyjon has a mod that prevents sims from cleaning up smashed urns autonomously.

Is there a way to restore the urn, so you don't have to have a permanently smashed urn in your house?
Mad Poster
#14912 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 12:03 PM
Does it change to a gravestone when you move it outside? I've never had a smashed urn before.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#14913 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Is there a way to restore the urn, so you don't have to have a permanently smashed urn in your house?

Quit without saving?
Inventor
#14914 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 3:00 PM
The edges of the road are not cut outs so you need to update the road default textures with the grass terrain too. I think there are some cut out defaults somewhere though.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow here - I tried changing the terrain on a few other desert and dirt hoods to see if it was a problem with the road defaults then checked out various lots, but they actually came out fine for some reason. It's just this hood in particular that has the wonky terrain. Is it the apocalypse at work?

Quote: Originally posted by Charity

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Does it change to a gravestone when you move it outside? I've never had a smashed urn before.

In my experience, moving the smashed urn outside won't turn it into a gravestone and it retains its broken form, but if you have testing cheats on, there's an option to repair the smashed urn when you shift + click on it, as mentioned by baticeer. It's been very useful with raging teens out and about while I wait for the ghosts to appear before sending them to the actual graveyards.
Mad Poster
#14915 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 5:29 PM
Fron door questions: What determines it? How do change it? Is there a mod that expands upon it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#14916 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 5:40 PM
Some players have mentioned that the last placed door often seems the one set as the 'front' one, unless you have Pescado's frontdoorhack. I wish that mod had more documentation on how exactly it works.

From my observations, even with Pescado's frontdoorhack, double doors are often chosen to be the front.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#14917 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 6:01 PM
Yeah, I heard such reports too. I might test and see If I can simply put the door in the inventory and place it again where it was positioned and thus make it 'front'. If that doesn't work, I'll check but with buy mode. Thanks btw.

I might post results here.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#14918 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 6:04 PM
It's the last one placed on the lowest floor. So if you have a garage with a house on a foundation, the garage door is the front door.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#14919 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 8:51 PM
Are dogs or cats able to die of anything other than old age? A few hoods back, and the only survivors of a giant house fire were the toddler and the dog.

Alchemist
#14920 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 8:59 PM
about pet death; from my understanding, Old Age is their only non-cheat/non-mod/non-hack death.
not sure, but they might be able to die through the Spawn object named Rodney's Death Creator; and perhaps also through various hacks.
Alchemist
#14921 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Are dogs or cats able to die of anything other than old age? A few hoods back, and the only survivors of a giant house fire were the toddler and the dog.

That's so sad. What happened to them?
Mad Poster
#14922 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 9:25 PM
I reloaded the lot and everyone came back to life.

Lab Assistant
#14923 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 9:59 PM
I'd like to extract the house (and only the house) that is in one of the premade neighborhoods, what's the exact process to do so? Export it to file and then save the house only through the Sims2Pack Clean Installer?

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Instructor
#14924 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConsoC
I'd like to extract the house (and only the house) that is in one of the premade neighborhoods, what's the exact process to do so? Export it to file and then save the house only through the Sims2Pack Clean Installer?

Is the lot unoccupied/free from urns?
In this case you can just add it in the lot cataog and then place a copy back, if you wish - before you can only place one copy at the time, but then, from I don't remember which EP onwards, a copy of the lost will stay in the catalog even after placing it).
Otherwise, you can just pack to a file and thn re-install it with the Clean Installer (I usually "clean" the file from cc or families).
If yo need more info, have a look here: http://modthesims.info/t/448103
Or here to get even more useful stuff.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14925 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConsoC

Make sure to clean it of sim references. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 597 of 1339