Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 9:33 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Saving lots in lot bin
I'm about to change computers but I don't want to go through the process of rebuilding all the houses and community lots I created. How do I transfer them from the lot bin to a thumb drive for installment? The fact that there are downloadable houses, dorms and community lots on this and other website suggest that it is possible. I just don't know how.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 10:12 PM
I know that when you move a lot into the lot bin, it shows up in your "My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/LotCatalog" folder, so to transfer between computers, you'd need to copy that folder along with your Downloads and Neighborhoods folders, and then move the unique ones across after installing the game. You won't need the duplicates, as they'll be the ones the game creates.

I think I once copied one I made in AGS into my main game that way. Unfortunately I lost the ones I'd built when my last computer threw the BSOD and refused to reboot; lost a lot of other TS2 stuff, including a rather fun hood I'd made, but that's another story!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 2:45 AM
You can also package them up into Sims2Pack files, transfer those Sims2Packs into the "Packaged Lot" folder of your new install, and install them as you would a lot you downloaded.

Just remember never to package, or place in the lot bin, any house that is inhabited, has graves on it, or is an owned community or vacation lot! Doing so will break the neighborhood the lot started in (no big deal if you're dumping the neighborhood) and any into which it is subsequently placed.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 5:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You can also package them up into Sims2Pack files, transfer those Sims2Packs into the "Packaged Lot" folder of your new install, and install them as you would a lot you downloaded.

Just remember never to package, or place in the lot bin, any house that is inhabited, has graves on it, or is an owned community or vacation lot! Doing so will break the neighborhood the lot started in (no big deal if you're dumping the neighborhood) and any into which it is subsequently placed.

I have created an empty graveyard so graves won't be a problem. This was created for sims that have died. I had that happen in the college once. Putting them in a package would also put them on site like this for others to use.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 7:22 PM
I'm only seeing them as package files with no images. Is there a way that the files can show the image of what the lot looks like?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 10:47 PM
Why not just save the entire Sims 2 folder, that's what I did.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 10:58 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Aug 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Taking a backup of your entire The Sims 2 folder is the best way. Less work, and pretty much ready to go after installing the game - as long as you install all the EPs/SPs you had on the other computer (you can install more EPs/SPs, but it's not adviceable to install fewer, since you might get problems with missing content, neighborhoods or lots that require a certain EP to work, etc). Packing up houses, installing them, placing everything back, making new families, etc. is a LOT of work.

What you do is to copy the entire The Sims 2 folder (in Documents, not the one in Program files) to an USB thumb drive or external harddrive, then install the game on the new computer, then go ingame once to check everything installed properly and that the game is working fine. Go back out of the game, delete the files inside the "The Sims 2" folder (in Documents), and copy over the files from the external harddrive (contents of the "The Sims 2" folder). This way the settings from your old game should also carry over. In case of things going sideways, keep the backup. Always nice to have one at hand, because it can save you from accidentally borked neighborhoods or if you need to reset something but don't want to go all the way back and do things from scratch.

(Just a warning, but don't let the old files overwrite the new ones, because this can cause major trouble with the files. Like said above, be sure to delete the newly generated files and then copy over the old files from the harddrive).

If you've done changes to the install files (script files, CEP extras, etc.) you may also want to copy and transfer over these to the new computer.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:16 AM
I just did this. Just move your lot bins files in your download folder. If the lots are installed, they will slide on over and be right in your game where you left them.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Why not just save the entire Sims 2 folder, that's what I did.

If I can see the buildings I made so that I can name them as I put them in a .zip or .rar file, I can post them on sites like this so that other people can use them if they like.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 9:22 AM
What does that have to do with changing computers? I'm not sure what the issue is. After installing your game, delete the sims 2 folder it makes and paste in your own, everything will still be the same, sims and lots. Once you are on your new computer you can still upload lots that you have made.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pjb123
If I can see the buildings I made so that I can name them as I put them in a .zip or .rar file, I can post them on sites like this so that other people can use them if they like.

AFAIK that won't really work - most people pack up the lots with the in-game lot packer for upload. And it's not particularly safe (at least I wouldn't do it) to download a lot file where you can't see what's in it.

You can transfer lot files in the LotCatalog folder but I think they have to be named with the number to work. You can change the number but not otherwise rename.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#12 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 12:42 PM
Copying the Sims 2 folder works, of course, but I put my bin lots in their own empty hood. Saving a backup of that hood would also work.