Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 12:09 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default A question about 'safe' graphic settings to avoid overheating graphics cards!
Hey there.

I'm Tori, here again for help from knowledgeable gamers who actually know how to use computers and computer graphics properly. To be honest, which I've stated in other threads, I'm not only a total gaming noob, but I'm really paranoid.

My first two graphic cards burnt out because I had no idea what I was doing. This was several years ago; but I'm still paranoid that my gaming PC might die, or I'll kill my graphics card again, so I've never really 'played' games rather than installed mods and fiddled around once and a while and then escaped back to desktop in fear of destroying my pc. But I want to be able to game and mod in an appropriate manner, so I thought I might ask a simple question- How do I mediate performance with graphics and not overheat my system? I've heard from various sources that 70-80C is getting too hot, and at times, even with settings not completely at max in Sims 3, this happens.

Nitromon has been helpful in adjusting settings for amazing Sims 3 graphics; [like holy cow!]but I'm still really terrified of destroying another card by taking it TOO FAR, and I haven't seriously gamed in forever. I'd love even more to play Skyrim without hardcore destroying my pc even more.

Would some kind individual be willing to explain to me what to look out for, what to avoid, and what my pc would be capable of? There's so many articles online on which is 'good' or 'better' or 'safe' but I really have no idea how to decipher any of it and use it personally. I've included my deviceconfig below, which might help? [I should also mention I have already limited my FPS in the majority of the games I play [I always do that first in Nvidia Inspector] so that's taken care of already.]

Any expertise you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:21 AM
Hey Nitromon! Thanks for stopping by to help out again! Sorry this took a bit to get to. I was delving into some research after reading your post, as it reminded me of an app I had discovered around a year ago, but uninstalled.

The temperature of the room- that's good to know. Thankfully the office I'm located in runs nice and cool, but I have a few desktop-fans that I can put to good use if ever necessary. I'm going to take a stab and say it's the fact I have a handful [in other words, too many] of tabs open at all times. Sometimes too many, so I'll cut that out [I also just installed ad-block again; I'll try and figure out some chrome app that helps with tabs in the near future] Alright, good to know that 70-80 is safe. That makes me feel much better. I had no idea about the bitcoin-mining bullcrap, good to know that's something to look out for!

Alright, I'll get rid of all the auto-run stuff too- that seems to irritate me anyways; I don't like that clutter either way.

As for the fans- after I reply to this, I'll get the air-canister out and give it a good cleaning. We have cats and the vents in our house are a bit shot; so I think it'd probably be better if I did it every two weeks or so, just to be safe. I just had the thermal paste replaced around last December; and that fixed a lot of problems. But I'm just glad to know that things aren't as out of control as I originally thought. Thanks again!

I bought the pc through a manufacturer; and they've always been on top of things if something goes awry. I really need to work on my trust issues. xD

Also, a tidbit learned from my research-
There's a program I came across a while back, I think it's called 'Rainmeter' and after a bit of research it apparently has an add-on [they call them skins?] to redesign your desktop. Strangely enough, they have a small cpu/ram/etc bar that monitors on your desktop [and is always there.] After a bit of digging, I found a skin that also monitors all the other aspects I need to look out for- gpu usage, temp, cpu usage, temp- it's really kind of cool. So now that I have a 'safety' net so to speak, I'm going to go do a bit of research with settings and what not.

Again, thanks for your expertise; it is very much appreciated!

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
To be completely honest with you, most systems, if not all, are designed to do what they do. GPU/CPU etc, are all "tested" in temperature rooms before being shipped to make sure they survive the stated temperature tolerance. GPU running at 70-80 is normal. Anything higher than that, I start to worry. If it hit 90, I'd turn it off.

Now, regardless of whether you have a laptop or a desktop, there are 3 things that I find most often heating up my system and I'm sure it is doing the same to yours and others.

1) HOT rooms. This is simple. People overlook their ambient room temperature. This can change dramatically in some places. For example, right now in my house without AC, it can run up to 85-90 degree. I pretty much cannot play Sims 3 during the day unless I have AC on, despite having a cooling pad for my laptop. If the temperature in your room is hot, all you're doing is circulating hot air into your system. So you must control your ambient temperature. Avoid playing on hot days if you can't use the AC.

2) CPU/GPU usage. What are you doing other than playing Sims 3? I mean at the same time. I like to watch old TV shows on a 2nd monitor on Chrome. This alone usually raise the temperature of the GPU by 3-5 degree. However, there are some video host sites which jacks it up almost 15-20 degree. Some are just using a bad flash, while others are actually bitcoin mining on your system. I always keep a task manager open. A typical video from say thevideo.me, uses 1-2% of your CPU on Chrome. With sims 3, my system is around 70-75 degree, never more than 75. If I watch from gorillavid it goes up to 5%+, doesn't seem much but this increase the temperature to 80-82 degree. Now some really shady video hostsites, it jacks up to 30%-80% of the CPU. That can literally kill your system right there. There are also those which uses your GPU, you'll need GPU-Z to see those. While you're playing your game, your GPU load is say around 30-50%, all of the sudden they jack up to 100%. Using antivirus, malwarez programs will help you prevent major coin miners, but it is not always avoidable unless you keep an eye on your task manager. I only watch video from trusted sites now. Also, adblock recently added coin mining to their list to block. So good to have it on.

This may not always be internet related. I recently deleted all my Norton Identity programs b/c it is a bugged piece of crap. Every now and then the program suddenly jacks up to 12% usage for no reason even when I'm not using the internet. Now, normally that's not a problem. But when I'm playing Sims 3 on a warm day, where my GPU temp is 75 degree, a sudden jump from this program can jack my GPU to 90 degree just like that if I'm not paying attention. So you need to make sure you're not running any program that has problems or excessive background usage. I almost pretty much remove all "autoupdater" programs that automatically checks and update in the background.

3) System Maintenance. And last but not least, when was the last time you cleaned your fans? They may be clogged with dust. Also, try to replace your heatsink paste every 2-3 yrs. This is what killed my last GPU+MOBO. Well, this in combination with the above 2. My GPU was hitting 85-90 constantly and my CPU was always over 105 degree. I figured that b/c the CPU throttles, it was ok, but nope, BAM like that, lights out.

If you follow these 3, most likely any system you're using will be fine. If you're on a desktop built by manufacturers, if it is a reliable manufacturer, it should be fine. If you built your own system or someone built it for you. Make sure they use Arctic Silver or equiv thermal paste on your CPU. Don't use the 50 cent stuff. Spend a little money, $9.99 and get the good stuff.
Scholar
#5 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:14 PM
there're a bunch of little programs for monitoring, personally I use Real Temp 'cause is small, light and do not install any service. Running a little monitoring from time to time and reading logs after never hurts, and it's more reliable than just peeking into Task Monitor. Also - cleaning the machine from numerous (including installed by system and defult running) garbage is useful too. It may be not really noticeable at first (it shall be later) if the machine is not particulary weak, but bit there, and there adds to the burden. On Win7 it's quite possible to get to about 70 processess running (with AVir, without the game), if you disconnect from the Internet, you also may disable AVir, but in such case of course you cannot benevolently mine ccurrency for someone while watching movies, nor browsing for additional CC (because there's never "too much").

The particular temperature's tolerance varies from machine to machine (and model to model ofc); for example normal numbers shown by Nitromon I'd reconise as seriously alarming, but in my case it's a laptop - a different story (my machine while running the game never excess 72/70'C for CPU/GPU respectivelly).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#7 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 2:46 PM
That's not really worded accurately. Yes, every system is different and every game setup itself differs in sense that it will produce different average temperature for Sims 3, but that doesn't mean if someone's system is hotter it would be alarming for another who is cooler.

which is as I believe, if not literally, than to significant degree just what I wrote Maybe just wording then.

Anyway, the thing which we discussed some time ago and is often omitted: it's rather rare case to just "burn" the GPU/CPU nowadays. Well - 'till you really, I mean *really* mess up overclocking. Modern, like even 15 years old modern machines are provided with multiple layers of security. On the chip, on the board (these are in fact "last lines of defence"), and on the multiple software levels (BIOS, drivers, system - I'm trying to be simple). In working reality, what may kill average user machine because of thermal damage, is prolonged overheating below the critical values, not isolated events (like suddenly spiking temperature). In such circumstances particular parts - and there're a lot of little dimmers, capacitors, etc. on the board, on the memory sticks, on the drives etc - forced to work in uncomfortable (but still "within a range") conditions deteriorates quicker than expected. Most of the users shall switch the machine for newer before even noticing that, well - they maybe notice lower efficiency and sporadic errors.

Laptops, or in broader sense: any mobile machine, are more prone to that because of technical limitations and design preferences. Desktops build (OP case) is much more relaxed. For example: common for laptops bottleneck is shared heat pipe extension (CPU/GPU) and only one heat extinguisher, effectively it means that cooling system is impaired by design limitation (I won't discuss there any of the Apple's engineering atrocities, that's another topic), a problem which does not exists, until extremally rare circumstances in the "desktop" case. High class and 'pro' constructions are without that flaw, but well, you need to paid for that accordingly.

I'm working on the old laptop (about 10 years old construction) so I prefer to be careful. Double careful, while machine is getting older. I'd prefer to keep this laptop working for a while more, for financial reasons and also because it's really hard to find now something not tailored for and shipped without Windows 10 Malignant Edition.

I should mention that Sims 3 is a relatively old game, so even with the graphics improvements, it runs at approx 68*C by itself with a cooling pad on my system. However, newer game (old by today's standard), such as StarCraft 2, which pushes the GPU much harder than TS3, it runs consistently at 79-81*C GPU, which is unavoidable unless the graphics is tuned down. Again, this is normal for most GPU demanding games. It is still 10 degree below the max temperature threshold.

you can always try to fry your machine with some ENB or other filtering software layer Though in S3 case most heat produced is from CPU anyway and GPU rather start to throttle than just "burn".

And so to be clear: I do not argue (and that disagree is not mine), I merely emphasize "case by case" point. Some things are obvious (theoretically) like renewing thermal paste, keep cat's piss, coffee and meals out of the machine (until you want to keep busy little creatures inside), clearing the dust and, from time to time, giving it some serious inside cleaning routine. Some are not so (like construction limitations, design problems, even suppousedly elementary thermodynamics etc.). And As I suppouse, we shall see such topics and questions again.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 8:31 PM
Wow! All this information is great to know. So far, I've been able to manage my temperatures and everything else thanks to a widget for rainmeter I found on Deviantart. It basically sits on the bottom of my taskbar so I can monitor it easily. Then, there's another widget that overlays with whatever game I'm playing that helps as well.

It's good to know that 70-80c isn't running too hot. Sometimes when it creeps past 60 I freak out. We don't have to worry about humidity because our house is typically cool [even in the winter] and the room I operate in has a air vent right above my desk. I guess that's what I get for living in the Midwest. xD

Again, thank you all who posted. I've learned a lot just from reading your comments. I think I'll be good from here on out! :D