Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Looking for a mod to make living in apartment lots BEARABLE!
Looking for a mod to make living in apartment lots BEARABLE! (Also, why are my NPC neighbors and roommates ALWAYS female?) I've been forced to have only one playable household per apartment lot because of the issues that comes with having multiple families in one lot. If there's more than 2 apartments, there's always rivalry and fighting between the non playable neighbors. This, combined with neighbors always being outdoors, getting sick makes the entire neighborhood sick and my playable neighbors have soooo many bad memories because of what they did when I was playing with another family. How can I stop apartment neighbors from fighting and hating each other for no reason?? And how do I keep the neighbors from not getting sick or faint etc without having to build an indoor hanging out space?? I want to make beautiful housing, and the neighbors just occupy the curb because there's no playground or accessible room. If more than one playable family live on a apartment lot and one moves out they still appear for the family that's left, but since they're no longer living there they faint, freeze, piss themselves etc, leaving bad memories even though they don't live on the lot... DO YOU HAVE THE SAME ISSUES? CAN ANYONE HELP?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:21 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 30th Jul 2018 at 1:11 PM.
Goodness, sounds awful! No, I don't have those issues. Maybe some of this will give you ideas that will help - I design the apartments to be lived in by 4 playable families who are usually connected and friendly to begin with, so that I actually want them to be in the same place and I want to see the ones that aren't active when I'm playing the active ones. They aren't outside all the time, there are buildings where they have a communal kitchen, bathrooms, and recreation, like instruments, paints, books. Outside there is a communal playground, hot tube, mahjong, chess, darts, a grill... Everything is communal. They even have just one truck that they share in the driveway. Their individual apartments are mostly empty so that they socialize and do most things communally. My sims only get sick if trash is everywhere with roaches or they eat bad food, but I don't like winter so I don't play it. I also mod out jealousy because I don't care for it, so they may get along a bit better, but I think most of the difference is probably design of the space and playing the entire apartment complex with my sims.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:45 AM
The issue with sims appearing in apartments they move out of is an easy fix. The apartment sublot they lived in hasn't been updated properly, but all you need to do is turn move_objects on and delete them, and the sublot will finish updating. The same trick will work with sims who seem stuck, eternally asleep, etc.

Are you fully patched? Much that should have been patched in AL never was, but a few of the worst ones were.

What have you got against making beautiful housing that includes playgrounds and other amenities? They don't make the place any less beautiful. Give them a hot tub, a chess game, a basketball hoop, a swimming pool, or a dart board; and lots of beautiful flowers to smell. Give them a game table and they'll sit there forever, making friends. Give them something to do besides poke each other, and they will.

There's an apartment building contest going on in the contest forum right now. Maybe reading through that thread and looking at some of the builds and judge's comments will be helpful to you in building apartments where your sims can live in harmony.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 5:15 AM
I don't have townie apartment neighbours. There is a mod to stop them moving in, so you can move in only playables. If you play each family for a couple of days and make sure they interact in friendly ways they will soon all be friends.

If you have an illness and don't want it use a mod to get rid of it. Sim manipulator or others have that function.

Seeing sims who use to live there is a well-known glitch. Put on moveobjects and delete that instance off the lot. They are there but not really there, only the game has not caught up to the fact that they have moved out. Once you delete them with the hand tool they shouldn't show up that way again.

Simlogical has tokens to either force the unplayed into or out of their apartment unit. These need to be placed when the entire lot is empty.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 6:08 AM
There was a bug where all the AL townies generated as one gender. Pescado fixed it. His alfixes and apthack may fix some of the other issues (it'll definitely make it possible for your playables to enter their apartments on their own).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:11 PM Last edited by matildrao : 30th Jul 2018 at 9:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The issue with sims appearing in apartments they move out of is an easy fix. The apartment sublot they lived in hasn't been updated properly, but all you need to do is turn move_objects on and delete them, and the sublot will finish updating. The same trick will work with sims who seem stuck, eternally asleep, etc.

Are you fully patched? Much that should have been patched in AL never was, but a few of the worst ones were.

What have you got against making beautiful housing that includes playgrounds and other amenities? They don't make the place any less beautiful. Give them a hot tub, a chess game, a basketball hoop, a swimming pool, or a dart board; and lots of beautiful flowers to smell. Give them a game table and they'll sit there forever, making friends. Give them something to do besides poke each other, and they will.

There's an apartment building contest going on in the contest forum right now. Maybe reading through that thread and looking at some of the builds and judge's comments will be helpful to you in building apartments where your sims can live in harmony.

Thanks! I'll delete my moved out families in the future! I do usually build playgrounds and some sort of garden/BBQ/pool/seating area on apartment lots but that's the thing, they stay OUTDOORS and just turn cold. Some of my apartments are terraced houses/townhouses with gardens and parking lots belonging to the "apartments" and therefore I was hoping the neighbours would enjoy their OWN gardens and playgrounds since I ran out of space next to the houses or in the backyards... But no, they stay by the mailbox and the small strip leading up to the entrances.

Edit: the sickness/staying outdoors thing is as common on OTHER apartment lots as my own lots, for instance I moved in a family in the same apartment building as the Contender family on 310 Bay View Drive and I cant really play with any of the two families anymore because someone always hangs out by the downstairs hot tub or outdoors, they get sick, the family gets sick, the neighbours gets sick... I cure them they just keep spreading it to each other... I don't want to rebuild every apartment lot to keep neighbours indoors! Or keep having only 1 playable family per apartment lot
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:15 PM Last edited by matildrao : 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
There was a bug where all the AL townies generated as one gender. Pescado fixed it. His alfixes and apthack may fix some of the other issues (it'll definitely make it possible for your playables to enter their apartments on their own).

Cool! Could you give some instructions so that I know where and what to look for? I'd like the have more male NPC neighbours...
Edit: Ok I think I've found the AL fix file (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8.0.html) but I'm not used to these sort of files, I normally just download objects and some game fixes from MTS...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 9:47 PM
Just put them in your downloads folder, like everything else.

Unfortunately if you want male AL townies you'll have to generate a new hood (well, it might work to kill a bunch off and let them regenerate, but then you'll have a bunch of extra character files sitting around). I believe Cyjon has a hack to let regular townies be apartment neighbors, also.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 12:05 AM Last edited by matildrao : 31st Jul 2018 at 12:09 PM.
Just put them in your downloads folder, like everything else.

Unfortunately if you want male AL townies you'll have to generate a new hood (well, it might work to kill a bunch off and let them regenerate, but then you'll have a bunch of extra character files sitting around). I believe Cyjon has a hack to let regular townies be apartment neighbors, also.

Yes but the AL fixes PACK has like 30 (edit: ok 167 (!) lol) objects, idk which I need or want? I don't need male NPCs to replace existing neighbours, but they should appear on new lots...? Having only female NPC neighbours is OK, the issue with apartment lot residents fighting and never staying indoors is more urgent
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 12:07 AM
Did you see my post about Simlogical tokens?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 12:56 AM
Oh, I see, you didn't actually link to alfixes, just the main directory of all his hacks. It's here:

alfixes: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/f...cks/alfixes.zip
apthack: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/f...cks/apthack.zip
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 5:03 AM
alfixes is basically defunct now, plus it breaks some things you might not want broken. Most of what it fixed was in the AL patch.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:27 AM
My personal solution is to not play apartments
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:38 AM
I think there was a thread awhile back that discussed exactly what was broken in alfixes and what some of the alternatives to it were. If somebody could find that and link to it, the OP could decide for herself which mods she wants.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 12:00 PM
I do play a lot of TS2, and add mods and objects, but I really have no clue about the more advanced mods and the terms you're using ^^' Hopefully there is some specific mod that suits me and helps me with my apartment issue! I do love having sims living in apartments and I love designing those sort of lots so I want the game to work smoothly!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 12:07 PM
ALfixes and APThacks have:

"13. Social Group townies no longer all generate as the same sex." and

"1. Neighbor behavior in apartments now depends on furniture installed inside
their apartments and common area: Motives restored on going into apartments
depends on what furniture that the neighbors have in there, and neighbors
leaving their apartment will do so to resolve motives based on things
located in the common area.
2. Neighbors will not suddenly run off for no reason while you are trying to
interact with them.
3. Neighbors will not emerge and stand around for hours with nothing to do." + "B. Visiting sims no longer get stuck forever in apartments that black out or get
lost in the wrong apartments."

_Are they safe or not to add to the game??_ :O
Mad Poster
#17 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 2:47 PM
These mods are safe; however, like many pescado mods alfixes has undocumented features. Nowadays its effects can be duplicated by other mods without nuking love letters after a date.

The more you understand about how the code works the better you'll be able to build. The reason your sims are hanging out at the curb instead of their back yards is that everything beyond the unit's front door is defined as "inside," and in order to facilitate social interactions apartment neighbors, like dormies, are programmed to come out of their spaces when their needs are good and go back inside when their needs are low. Housebroken dogs will also come into the common area to do their business even if the unit has a yard. So it's important, when building an apartment lot, to think about the behavior you want, and plan common area accordingly.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
These mods are safe; however, like many pescado mods alfixes has undocumented features. Nowadays its effects can be duplicated by other mods without nuking love letters after a date.

The more you understand about how the code works the better you'll be able to build. The reason your sims are hanging out at the curb instead of their back yards is that everything beyond the unit's front door is defined as "inside," and in order to facilitate social interactions apartment neighbors, like dormies, are programmed to come out of their spaces when their needs are good and go back inside when their needs are low. Housebroken dogs will also come into the common area to do their business even if the unit has a yard. So it's important, when building an apartment lot, to think about the behavior you want, and plan common area accordingly.

Thanks! I'll try to add more common spaces on apt lots and I'll try the mod! I also realized that whenever my sims bring home coworkers it's either playable sims in the same occupation OR ONLY FEMALE NPCs! So my NPC generator must be working differently...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 7:57 PM
I did a search myself and found these:

Slig fixed alfixes so it should allow love letters now. I have this version of the mod in my game. I've been doing so much testing of other mods lately that none of my sims have had the opportunity to get love letters, so I haven't seen how well/whether that part works yet.
https://slig.dreamwidth.org/33808.html

I think this is the discussion that I mentioned earlier where Charity tested the features of Pescado's alfixes to see which ones were still needed and which ones were fixed by patches or had alternative mods for those features.
http://modthesims.info/t/533369
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 12:55 AM
ugh I need to remove one of Pescados mods, I like the idea of renting furnished apartments for a higher rent, but deposit seems uneccesary... Before, if I built an apartment and furnished it really nice I just shift click "rent furnished" when moving in, the rent stays the same and you don't have to decorate again, and if you move you make money from the sold furniture, and you basically buy nothing... my sims get TOO MUCH MONEY, but this mod made the rent/deposit of normal small apartments 15 000 (rent+deposit) UNFURNISHED and 60 000 FURNISHED!? It can't be right? No new sim can move in for that price, the person I added was forced to take the smallest apartment and still barely had money to put in furniture.

Otherwise, neighbours are acting better than before and they're staying in their apartments!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 1:00 AM
Which words don't you understand?

The Simlogical picture tokens are here: http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...rtmentFixes.htm

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:13 AM
Renting the apartment furnished does not increase the rent. The reason for the deposit is that you get that money back for free when you move out of the apartment, even though you didn't pay for the furniture the game pretends that you did and refunds you the money. So Pescado fixed it by charging you for that money going in. IMO, he should have just made it so that it didn't give you that money on moveout, but oh well. I have a hack that halves both regular rent and the deposit, although I haven't yet confirmed if you need to move out current apartment residents.

Think of the deposit like this: normally you wouldn't be able to rent an apartment furnished (at least, I've never seen such a thing) and you would have to pay for the furniture yourself anyway. Renting furnished in the game is just a shortcut whereby you don't have to buy the furniture piecemeal and can buy it all at once when you rent the apartment. The deposit on the unfurnished apartment technically covers things like fridge and bathroom fixtures, but you can think of it as the security deposit. Sometimes I give my poor sims the amount required for the deposit for free, imagining it as some sort of government assistance. For the sims who can afford the deposit, it's only right and just that they pay up, since I'm always looking for ways to break up large fortunes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 9:57 AM Last edited by matildrao : 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:10 PM.
Renting the apartment furnished does not increase the rent. The reason for the deposit is that you get that money back for free when you move out of the apartment, even though you didn't pay for the furniture the game pretends that you did and refunds you the money. So Pescado fixed it by charging you for that money going in. IMO, he should have just made it so that it didn't give you that money on moveout, but oh well. I have a hack that halves both regular rent and the deposit, although I haven't yet confirmed if you need to move out current apartment residents.

Think of the deposit like this: normally you wouldn't be able to rent an apartment furnished (at least, I've never seen such a thing) and you would have to pay for the furniture yourself anyway. Renting furnished in the game is just a shortcut whereby you don't have to buy the furniture piecemeal and can buy it all at once when you rent the apartment. The deposit on the unfurnished apartment technically covers things like fridge and bathroom fixtures, but you can think of it as the security deposit. Sometimes I give my poor sims the amount required for the deposit for free, imagining it as some sort of government assistance. For the sims who can afford the deposit, it's only right and just that they pay up, since I'm always looking for ways to break up large fortunes.

I understand how deposits work, but for the apartment in question but there's no way that just the kitchen and bathroom cost 15K, the mod just ruined the opportunity for my Sims to live in nice apartments (normally 2 000-6 000/week, unfurnished)... it evens out eventually since the deposit is a one time thing I GET IT but it's ridiculously expensive for someone who can't afford a house either.

Is your mod available...? can't find it on your profile!

Others seem to have had the same issue with the pescado mod: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=582906 http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=1891.0 but I'm not finding any mod for it yet... maybe I'm using the wrong search words...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 10:00 AM Last edited by matildrao : 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Which words don't you understand?

The Simlogical picture tokens are here: http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...rtmentFixes.htm

I did try it now and I removed AP hacks, but this mod doesn't work like I want it too. Neighbors are still outdoors 24/7, there is no way I can rebuild all apartment lots and add _signs_ to common areas which doesn't even exist in most of my buildings :/ I'll stick with AP hacks and search for a deposit mod, thanks!
Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 9:37 PM
15k isn't that many simoleons, I can see kitchens and bathrooms with nice fixtures adding up to that.

Like I said, I haven't been able to verify the things I need to verify about the mod yet, so I haven't posted it. Maybe I'll post a mod that just gets rid of Pescados deposit separately, though.
Page 1 of 2