Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game stops responding when loading a neighborood
I've been having this issue for a while and can't figure out how to fix it. Whenever I try to load up a neighborhood the program stops responding. It's happened every single time with every neighborhood. So far I've tried installing the memory fix patch with no luck fixing it, taken out all my CC with no luck, created new saves in case the old ones were corrupted with no luck, deleted the cache files with no luck, and I've even gone so far as to completely reinstall the game. None of it works.
I'm trying to run UC on a Windows 10 computer, and the game has run on this computer before. This issue seemingly came from nowhere. The amount of memory it takes up is about 338,844 K which is quite a bit less than what Sims 4 usually uses (which is close to 1,000,000 K) and I have no issues like that from Sims 4 or Sims 3.
An ideas of what I can do to fix this?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:11 PM
might end other processes before launching game.

if freezing still occurs, problem might relate to computer's firewall and/or anti-virus. adding game to the exceptions of those might help with that.

another thing to try might be to change between full-screen/windowed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
might end other processes before launching game.

if freezing still occurs, problem might relate to computer's firewall and/or anti-virus. adding game to the exceptions of those might help with that.

another thing to try might be to change between full-screen/windowed.

I've tried switching between windowed and full screen, and it didn't seem to do anything. Also checked my firewall and UC should be allowed through it
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:01 PM
How long have you waited? Sometimes the game will show as "not responding" even when it IS loading, either the game itself or a neighborhood or even a single lot, if that lot happens to be very large. So, don't just assume the game is "not responding" just because it says so in the Task Manager or on the game window, if you're playing in windowed mode. That said, if you've waited like 30 minutes, then it probably IS stuck...unless you're playing on a really low-spec machine, in which case it might actually take that long to load a large, heavily-populated/heavily-decorated neighborhood. But, it might just be a matter of waiting a bit more.

If that fails, there might be something "hanging" somewhere. If that is the case, if you get the game into debug mode (testingcheats enabled), you'll get an error message. When that happens, you can hit the "Reset" option on the error message and the load will usually (but not always) proceed. "Classically," you need to get into a neighborhood to turn on debug mode, but you can add it to your userstartup configuration: http://modthesims.info/t/84924 I think (but I'm not certain) that that will take effect before you get to loading a neighborhood, so hopefully you'll get error messages.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#5 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:13 PM
error messages (cancel/reset/delete) I take occur in lot view; or when lot is loading.
original poster seemed to tell it occurs with neighborhood loading.
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
error messages (cancel/reset/delete) I take occur in lot view; or when lot is loading.
original poster seemed to tell it occurs with neighborhood loading.

Nope, if there's an error occurring while a neighborhood loads, you'll get a message. I've seen it happen. It WON'T happen when the GAME is loading. Usually, if an error happens when the game itself is loading, it just crashes. An error message when loading often happens when some token or controller or something else that needs to load is stuck or has gotten corrupted or that can't be read and needs to be regenerated. With lots, it's often weather controllers, for instance. Hanging while loading is usually the game having an error it can't fix itself but that isn't something that'll make the whole thing crash. This is one reason why I always have debug mode on; I often have to reset weather controllers, especially when loading apartment lots.

That said, since OP said this happens with all neighborhoods, it might not be something hanging. I would think that would happen with one neighborhood but not the others. However, it doesn't hurt as a diagnostic step.

To the OP: Also, have you tried deleting the file called NeighborhoodManager? It's in the Documents/Sims 2/Neighborhoods folder. It should be the only loose .package file in there. Sometimes this gets corrupted and needs to be regenerated. It's safe to delete; the game will generate a new one when you load it up. I think it functions much like a cache, if it is not ACTUALLY a cache.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Nope, if there's an error occurring while a neighborhood loads, you'll get a message. I've seen it happen. It WON'T happen when the GAME is loading. Usually, if an error happens when the game itself is loading, it just crashes. An error message when loading often happens when some token or controller or something else that needs to load is stuck or has gotten corrupted or that can't be read and needs to be regenerated. With lots, it's often weather controllers, for instance. Hanging while loading is usually the game having an error it can't fix itself but that isn't something that'll make the whole thing crash. This is one reason why I always have debug mode on; I often have to reset weather controllers, especially when loading apartment lots.

That said, since OP said this happens with all neighborhoods, it might not be something hanging. I would think that would happen with one neighborhood but not the others. However, it doesn't hurt as a diagnostic step.

To the OP: Also, have you tried deleting the file called NeighborhoodManager? It's in the Documents/Sims 2/Neighborhoods folder. It should be the only loose .package file in there. Sometimes this gets corrupted and needs to be regenerated. It's safe to delete; the game will generate a new one when you load it up. I think it functions much like a cache, if it is not ACTUALLY a cache.

An update on the issue: I did like you suggested and checked the error log and saw that there seem to be a lot of errors concerning the game's music files even though I've used Origin to repair the files. I can get the tutorial to load no problem, and somehow I got Strangetown to load up. Not sure what did it though
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 8:43 PM
Music/sound errors happen all the time; I don't think that's your problem. Did you try deleting the Neighborhood Manager? It's possible that'll need to be refreshed, especially if you've uninstalled/reinstalled or repaired your game.