Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 10:41 AM Last edited by DestinyTheDemon : 8th Aug 2018 at 12:51 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game can't detect CD even on a fresh install
Hello.
I have been trying to install the sims 2 on my current computer for about 3 months on and of, without any success. A week ago, my laptop, in which I used to play the game in without any problems, has unfortunately died. This means that this computer is the only place i would be able to play the game.
And that's where this problem comes in.
Whenever I install the game, everything goes right, until I try to run it. When I do it, this message comes up

(rough translation: " Insert the correct DVD-ROM, press ok and restart the application")

It doesn't matter what I do, it always pops-up. The thing is, I just installed the game. From the DVD. I actually told it to run at the end of the installation. So, there's no reason for it not to detect the DVD. I also don't have any Eps so, I don't believe that would be the cause? I do have a stuff pack that came with the base game (I have the holiday special edition) but it worked fine on my old laptop without it.
At first I thought it was because the game wasn't compatible with my computer (it's a bit on the older side, after all), but then it happened. I managed to get the game to turn on once, only to never be able to do it again (I only managed to get to CAS, since I had school, and had to turn it off). I didn't do anything special that time either, I just kept pressing the sims 2 icon, building up rage as the goddamn thing wouldn't work and then... it did. However, when I tried it again it was back to error message land.
If it helps, my DVD drive isn't that great, often ejecting on it's own, and taking I don't know how many tries to detect that there's something inside it, but after it does, it normally works just fine.
I've had some issues with it when playing the sims 1 before, but it always ejected the DVD when it happened, as opposed to now, when I can have the DVD files open, and it still doesn't work (even after just installing using said DVD).

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Edit: Out of curiosity, I turned on the task manager to see what came up.
Well, this is what came up

Is this normal?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:05 PM
Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Replace the DVD drive first; then you'll be able to tell when the problem is with the game and when it's with your machine.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:07 PM
Were there more than one DVD/CD included? If so, have you tried the others? For the basegame, some of the CDs are only for installing.

If you did manage to get the game going, it's possible you have to delete the cache files (accessory.cache, groups.cache, contentregistry and cigen.package) that you can find in the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents.

One option is to get another EP so you can use that CD. If your DVD rom is borked, there's also the option of getting the Ultimate Collection.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:12 PM Last edited by DestinyTheDemon : 8th Aug 2018 at 2:43 PM. Reason: gmae isn't a word, dummy
@simmer22
There is another DVD included, however, I know for a fact I don't use it to play, only to install more objects.
as for cache files, they're non-existent so I can't quite remove them. After I manged to get the game going, I have already reinstalled a bunch of times, so it's just gone now.
@Peni Griffin
How do I replace the DVD drive?
Edit: Never mind, I googled it myself. Unfortunately it won't be possible to replace it right now. I might have to see if my uncle has one, but it my take a couple months. Or years.

How would I go about getting the ultimate collection?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:46 PM
You call someone who works on computers and ask them to replace your DVD drive. You'll probably have to drop it off with them, but if that's all that's on the fritz it should be a one-day job, most of which will be waiting in line while they work on other people's machines that got dropped off earlier. This sort of behavior indicates that the old one is worn out, and the problem will only get worse.

It's only a matter of opening up the case, removing the existing drive, popping in a new one, and testing. If you were sufficiently motivated you could learn to do it yourself; but I'd as soon pay to have someone else do it, myself.

Don't uninstall/reinstall unless you have to. It's a tedious job that only helps if a problem is in the game installation files, which is seldom the case. It can even create problems, as the game doesn't always uninstall completely, but leaves registry files behind to confuse the next installation.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 2:59 PM
@Peni Griffin
You see, the problem is I'm broke and I can't pay for it. That's why I said I'd have to wait for my uncle to help me out with that, cause he can do it for cheaper, or even for free. He works with computers, so it should be fine. The problem is, he always takes to long to help with stuff like this. Suddenly, what is supposed to be a one day fix turns to a month without being able to use my computer, which would be bad, since I need it for school. Then again, he'd probably only start working on it by Xmas! My other uncle, who also works with computers, is the same. Except this one doesn't even know all that much, as I can tell by the fact he told me to install a useless program when I asked him for an antivirus, and uninstalled all my sims games last time he had to get rid of virus because he thought it was a "useless program"
I believe the option to try to get the ultimate collection would be better, I just don't know exactly how to do it. If you could give some general directions, it would help a lot.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 3:01 PM
To get the UC, If you use the Support Chat at Origin/EA and can prove you have the basegame, they may be able to help you. Some tips here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...lection-windows
(personally I got the UC when it was offered so I'd have it as a backup in case my CD version breaks, so I didn't have to take the route through customer service - but I know a lot of people here have gotten the UC afer the offer ended, so it should still be possible).
Instructor
#8 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 3:16 PM
@DestinyTheDemon
I got the UC earlier this year, if you want help getting it, you can PM me. I see your native language is Portuguese, like me, so we can talk easily.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 3:48 PM
Guess I'll have to update my owned games, it worked!
The adviser, Ruth was very nice and now I just have to wait for it to install. Thanks a lot guys!