Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 7:51 AM Last edited by daluved1 : 20th Jul 2009 at 1:35 PM.
Default Tutorial: Creating New Base Textures
Hello! I made a tutorial on how to edit and/or create a new base texture. I don't know if there's one already....I surely hope not.

Anyhoos, here it is:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/Sims_3:Cr...ew_Base_Texture

7-12-2009: Please reread Part II & III. It's been almost 100% redone.

Tweaking and editing is encouraged

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 11:26 AM
Great thanks ^^
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 11:40 AM
Thank You!

free custom contet for The Sims 2 and for The Sims 3

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 11:42 AM
I believe D has plans to rename the Multiplier in a future version of CTU to something more descriptive. Like Base Texture or something to that effect. Just so ya know.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 11:50 AM
Hp, I thought he already did....
-looks at new version-

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 3:12 PM
AWW THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHH !!

I love your tutorials, they're so clear and explicit. I'm still lost with all these new sims 3 stuff, the CTU, and all these things.

It's really encouraging me making new stuff!
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 1:43 AM
Posted by fluttereyes:

Quote:
This bit of the tutorial about using the cut out method. I tried both ways and they don't work for me with photoshop.

# With the Alpha channel selected, hit ALT + Delete (this should make a basic cut-out of your new base texture design). If ALT + Delete doesn't work, try CTRL + Delete

I did try the alt button that says ALT-GR (on the right hand side of my keyboard) with delete and it did work. Just thought it could be added as a third option for people.

Test Subject
#8 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 9:43 AM
It seems I am still having issues with the Alpha, I tried to follow the instructions but its still coming out funky-like.
My goal is to cover the gap and the knuckles.

I have uploaded everything ive done here, please tell me what Im doing wrong
I am Using Photoshop CS4
thank you

Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 3:46 PM
I noticed two things:

1. You saved it in dxt3 not dxt5 interpolated.
2. You didn't change the alpha channel, atleast I don't see where you did.

I'm going to see if I can do it on my computer and I'll post it up when I finish.

Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 5:05 PM Last edited by daluved1 : 15th Jul 2009 at 5:22 PM.
Okay, I tried to make the gloves and I was successful! However, it wasn't the base texture that was your problem. You'll have to edit the RGB mask as well. The RGB mask is the mask that tells the game what parts are recolorable in CAS. So all the white areas on your glove were the parts that the mask didn't cover. Fixing the mask is simple, just follow the same extraction process for the base texture, except scroll down and export the mask. You'll want to cover the knuckle area and/or the back palm area with red. There's more to the mask than adding in the red spots, but for simplicity reasons just stick to what I told you to do I plan on doing a RGB mask tutorial....eventually.

I've attached a .rar file with screenshots of what your base texture, base texture alpha channel, and RGB mask needs to look like. Also, the mask dds and the base texture dds have been included.

Remember to save the base texture as DXT5 | interpolated and the mask as DXT1 | 1 bit alpha.

Simply replace the mask just like you would with the base texture.

* I only did the right hand (sim right) so you can compare the difference.
** The glove is one of those that won't recolor in CAS for some odd reason. So, a work around for that would be to make your new mask/base texture but instead of adding it to the afAccessoryGlovesFingerless mesh, add it to the afAccessoryGlovesLong_fitted mesh. You should get the same result, except this one will recolor properly
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Fingerless Glove.rar (100.6 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
#11 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 11:56 PM
wow thank you so much that is very helpful
I will try again now with all those tips hopefully with sucess :D
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 4:47 AM
Thanks so much for the tutorial, daluved1. It has been really helpful. As a complete noob, one nitpicking thing just for clarity is that in Step 3 of saving you say "GIMP Users: Pick the BC3/DXT5 format and tick Generate Mipmaps , then press okay."

There is both a "Format" and "Compression" dropdown list there and the BC3/DXT5 is in Compression. Obviously I found it but because of the wording I did look in Format first so I thought you might like to know.

The only other issue I have been having is with the canvas colour in GIMP, which I just downloaded. I haven't used PS since the 90s and am used to Fireworks (which I love) where canvas colour is simple. But that is my GIMP learning curve and not your tutorial. Lol.

Anyway, I'm getting there and this tutorial has been really encouraging and helpful. Someday soon, with the excellent guides from you guys here, I'll be able to create something shareable other than a Sim.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 4:52 AM
Valencay, thanks for the info! I'll try to clear that up...eventually.

And think by default the canvas color is white, but I'll have to check.

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 6:54 AM Last edited by Valencay : 16th Jul 2009 at 7:17 AM.
When I open the file exported from Delphy's CTU, I get the background as transparent. And when I display just the alpha channel, I get transparent and black. (Doing a simple subtraction on the transparency works if I don't flatten before save. Flattening gives me the black bg, but all uncovered Sim parts then show black in CAS.)

Anyway, I'll figure it out.

Also, one thing I forgot... "Make sure that the Alpha Channels box is ticked." in Step 2 of save. I don't seem to have one.
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 1:33 PM
Thanks again for you help with the glove
With that lovely wisdom I was able to create my little Lacey Gloves

Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 9:57 PM
Valencay, it's obvious I'm not a regular Gimp user...so, if you can compile a list and/or revision of the gimp steps that'd be lovely

Auron01, those are lovely! Are you going to upload them?

Test Subject
#17 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 2:32 PM Last edited by Auron01 : 18th Jul 2009 at 12:23 PM.
Yes I am
Im going to make an long glove version aswell and upload them both ^^

I uploaded it :D
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Valencay, it's obvious I'm not a regular Gimp user...so, if you can compile a list and/or revision of the gimp steps that'd be lovely

Sorry, daluved1. I missed this message. My monitor died so I'm on my little computer atm and programless. When I get it back (hopefully tomorrow), I'll go through and see what I can do.

(If the monitor isn't fixed/replaced soon, I might have to resort to hooking myself up to the ridiculously oversized telly and Sesame Street be damned. Lol. )

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Valencay
Sorry, daluved1. I missed this message. My monitor died so I'm on my little computer atm and programless. When I get it back (hopefully tomorrow), I'll go through and see what I can do.

(If the monitor isn't fixed/replaced soon, I might have to resort to hooking myself up to the ridiculously oversized telly and Sesame Street be damned. Lol. )

Oh sweetheart take your time! No rush

Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 8:20 AM
Daluved1, I hope you can help me this? I have noticed that on occasion when I replace the textures (put another texture over the original texture) that in CAS, you can see a kind of luminous light of the original texture underneath, even though I have removed the alpha from the original texture and erased it. What am I doing wrong?
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:14 AM
It's the specular most likely. You have to go tinker with the specular a bit. I believe (and I could be wrong) that you have to get the specular to match up with your base texture either via the alpha or the specular texture itself. Sorry for sounding so wishy-washy but I've never really sat down and played with speculars so hopefully someone can append my short comings

Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:17 AM
Thank you. I will give it go.
Test Subject
#23 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 3:49 AM
I'm sure it's a wonderful tutorial but I can't even install the GIMP dds. plug-in. I go to the link and then go to the link on that page. Once there I go to the download section and download those two items. I try to run the exe. item but I get any error message. Could somebody please tell me how they went about getting that plug-in please?
Mother Function
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 4:08 AM
You don't run it, you have to put it into the Plug-Ins folder for GIMP

I believe you put it here:

C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:23 AM Last edited by rubbersushi : 10th Aug 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Thank you so much for this tutorial!

I have a question concerning dark colors. I have made a base texture without problems, but when I placed a dark color like black on the dress I lost a lot of the detail. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Base with light color, Black undetailed badness

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. Thank you again for the tutorial!
Page 1 of 2