Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:57 PM Last edited by krd123 : 17th Jun 2009 at 5:25 AM.
Default Tutorial- How to make pools of different depths
While playing the sims 3 I found out that you can very easily can the depths of pools. So you can pretty much make a pool that can be really shallow like a spa set up or really deep.

First Step
Build a pool that you want to make shallow. It can be any size you want.

Second Step
Ok I want to make my pool very shallow, so I am gonna to make the depth 4 clicks deep. To do this find land near your original pool and raise the land up 8 clicks (12-8=4). Then build another pool on the 8 click land.

Third Step
Next turn open the cheat window by holdin shift + ctrl + c and type in the cheat constrainfloorelevation false.

Fourth Step
Then from the floor of the new pool on the 8 click land take the leveling land tool and level from the floor of the new pool to the floor of the original pool.

Fifth Step
Then you will get this shallow pool!!!

Additional Stuff
You can make the pool depth deeper. I made a pool deeper by lower the land 4 clicks and leveling that pool floor to the original pool floor. However, I couldn't upload the picture because the file was too big

IMPORTANT!!!
Side Effects of changing pool depth. When you change the pool depth to make the pool shallow, the sim does not swim in the pool at the right level, instead the sim will swim, lets stay as in my example, 8 clicks above the pool. So I guess someone can attempt to make a fake floating pool, I know I tried it. When you make the pool depth deeper, your sim will swim deeper. ALSO if you make the pools too deep your sims will drown and die.
Screenshots
14 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:38 AM
Interesting! This could be quite useful. Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 8:51 AM
thank you
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 10:38 AM
Thanks for this.

The upper limit of the pool is about 4 clicks (1 stair), less will raise the ground.
Be careful with the cfe false if the water surface is altered it is impossible to flatten it. You must redo everything about this square of pool.

You can use objects in the pool :

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=348975
Sims go to the object swimming then float on the air before use it....
anims are very weird !!!

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 12:33 AM
what about putting it on a diff floor? o.O
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 7:25 PM
Hello, I've tried this quite succesfully, but the only (big) problem is the depth changes back to the original one when I make modifications like changing the tiles of the pool floor, or the wall, or simply hovering over the pool with a floor tile (not event making a change). It also reverts when simply adding walls on the lot (not always though, but it always does at some point). And lastly, when I quit the lot and saved, the depth had reverted to the original one when I entered the lot again.
Obviously, since Patul made a whole house with a low depth pool, I'm doing something wrong, but what… ?

I'd be very gratefull for a bit of insight on this problem…
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 10:57 PM
yea i know it's a little screwy sometimes. Hmmm your pool goes back to normal after you save and go back to the lot?? That's odd because I have a house with a shallow end of the pool and it stays like that when I return to it. Do you have another pool on the lot that has a normal depth because I know that makes the shallow pools go to that depth. I don't think you are doing anything wrong, sometimes the pool just changes on it's own
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 4:30 PM
thankyou! now i can make my waterpark complete......sorta. mts never lets in my work becuz im not that good. oh well. thankyou!

There are three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 12:18 AM
Any secret to placing normal stairs in the pool? I can't get mine to go in no matter what cheats I have tried... moveObjects on, disabling snap to grid, etc. I think they look a lot better in the shallow pool than the metal ladder.

Thanks to you, I now have tons of ideas for a community pool!

Quote: Originally posted by patul
Thanks for this.

The upper limit of the pool is about 4 clicks (1 stair), less will raise the ground.
Be careful with the cfe false if the water surface is altered it is impossible to flatten it. You must redo everything about this square of pool.

You can use objects in the pool :

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=348975
Sims go to the object swimming then float on the air before use it....
anims are very weird !!!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:31 PM
you can't place stairs in the pool?? hmm thats weird they work in the pool but you have to re level the floor of the pool after you place them.
Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 4:49 PM Last edited by pragmatic : 25th Jul 2009 at 5:26 PM. Reason: extra, extra!
Style first!
Quote: Originally posted by hazuitokage
Hello, I've tried this quite succesfully, but the only (big) problem is the depth changes back to the original one when I make modifications like changing the tiles of the pool floor, or the wall, or simply hovering over the pool with a floor tile (not event making a change). It also reverts when simply adding walls on the lot (not always though, but it always does at some point). And lastly, when I quit the lot and saved, the depth had reverted to the original one when I entered the lot again.
Obviously, since Patul made a whole house with a low depth pool, I'm doing something wrong, but what… ?

I'd be very gratefull for a bit of insight on this problem…

If the "flatten lot" button is clicked in the terrain tools, all pool depths and terrain elevations will also reset. I've also noticed that if you enter Create-A-Style mode, the pool will revert to its default depth again! I simply modified the pool's looks before attempting to change the depth. I saved the game and went back to check the lot. Guess what? It worked, everything stayed put. Problem solved.

On the addition of walls, I will have to try it out later to play with this later to see if the same problem pops up... I already have a good save game set-up for it!

In the screenshot I was attempting to change the pool depth with move objects cheat on. Ultimately I was trying to make it shallow but it may have deepened. I think it might have reset. I didn't really care at the moment because I was experimenting with a certain look with an ornamental pool: a combination of fire, water, and earth [didn't get to that point yet!] Well anyway, you can clearly see some transparent [alpha?] reflective reflection layer that sits above the pool ingame. As you can see, it's kind of floating in the air because it was still floating at the depth it was before... This might explain any "weird animation" in a depth-modified pool. When I exit the lot and return to it, any depth pool looks quite normal, appearance-wise.

------------------------------
My thanks to the op for this tut! I think the shallow pool would make a great addition to any water park. You know, like those little kiddie wading pools. Shame they can't join in though!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#12 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 12:03 AM
superb, I am going to make a cutom hot tub out of this thanks
Test Subject
#13 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:07 PM
Default Basement Incompatibility
I was able to lower a pools depth, but when I go down to the basement, the pool resets.

Any thoughts? I tried leveling the lot from both the basement and the ground floor.
Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 8:41 PM
mine doesnt even work,I try to get the original to work,But both pool rise at the same level,The cheat is typed in right i know so why isnt it working!?
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 10:39 AM
How about on TS2? Any way of making the pools shallower? I tried this method, but it didn't work out quite right.
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 6:32 PM
Anyone still reading this topic? I can't get to place stairs on pool at all! I tried all cheats people say in thread and still, everytime I try to place them it says "can't place in pool" or "must be on floor"

Please, help I looked for a video to try to do it but coudn't find any T.T
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Nov 2019 at 7:48 AM Last edited by DavidRaftery : 4th Nov 2019 at 7:49 AM. Reason: mistake
Default Want to create a pool with a different level of depth?
Want to create a pool with a different level of depth?
No problem!
Click on the pool and in the action menu select one of three depth options.