Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 10:12 PM
Default CAW terrain paint problem
I know I've seen this addressed before, but I can't find it now. I was repainting some terrain on a world last night, and when I opened it today, part of the area was covered in a weird plastic brown color. I tried deleting all my game caches and the CAW caches as per Simsample's instructions, but no change. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 12:29 AM
Simsample clued me in on this too, thank the caw god for Simsample! The _KEY file has been corrupted. I did a tut on how to fix it here;
http://customsims3.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=102
Instructor
#3 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 4:32 PM
Don't fret, it's not a permanent issue. I've had the same thing happen to me but it went away without me having to delete any files. At first I thought CAW had messed up my terrain paints somehow. Don't delete anything, heh. :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 5:32 PM
Rockerduck, anything that causes the _key to refresh will work fine, but deleting the _key will also have the benefit of pruning your textures database.

You can see this by making a world with default textures, and then changing all textures. If you save the world and look at it in S3Pe, you will see that the old textures are still there- still contained in the world file- even though you are no longer using them. Also, if you clear your Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ LocalWork folder and load that world, those pesky old textures are there too! Delete the _Key resource and then they are gone- so keeping your world clean.
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
Simsample clued me in on this too, thank the caw god for Simsample! The _KEY file has been corrupted. I did a tut on how to fix it here;
http://customsims3.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=102

I can't access the thread anymore. Can someone explain me how to fix it here? I'm totally clueless and don't want to destroy my world. Worked so hard for it...

Found it: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...ld_Creation.pdf
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 2:37 AM
This has just happened to me, I'm so upset is there anyway to fix it???
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 4:11 AM
Same issue here. I tried deleting the _key file with S3PE but to no avail. It doesn't get regenerated. I've assumed this was because the texture files aren't in the same folders, but I'm not particularly sure.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 7:34 AM
Try to re-assign the textures to their respective layers. This should solve the brown mud issue.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 11:47 PM
Any updates on this topic? I'm having the same problem and have followed the instructions to delete the Textures _key in S3PE and emptied my caches, but it's still showing brown
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 8:18 AM
Delete CAW world caches and everything that is in LocalWorks folder. Delete _key file in CAW world file with s3pe. Open world and re-assign the textures to their respective layers. This should solve the brown mud issue.