Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 7:46 PM
Default Malware Virus Talk Fourm
Hello! I have recently came across the enemy of the internet: Malware. I had this awful Malware virus on my computer and it sucked.. Everything was slow, crashing etc.. But I downloaded multiple Malware solution virus thingys and I finally got rid of it. So in your replys tell me if you ever had malware, ever heard of it, your experience, or/ and how you got rid of it. Or if anyone CURRENTLY has this virus on their computer maybe others could leave ideas on how to fix it. (BTW I used Norton Security Suite to get rid of Malware, I recommend it, tell me if you used Norton too) So yea, pretty random but ^.^
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 8:29 PM
Yeah, I got a bad infection from an email sent by people from the church I used to go to, but got tired of. This was years ago. These people do not understand that sites are not safe just because they have religious content and greetings card level sentiments. So this malware was a nasty rootkit, the kind that shows up every time I booted the computer, and it had embedded itself and some ads right on the desktop. It was an ad for a virus protection program and it was bs because that was the virus itself. It also blocked some windows functions to stop me from fixing it. What solved it was using an online virus scanner ( I think it was called Panda ) and then a boot time scan by a newly installed Avast! to prevent it from replicating its programs again.

Norton is not only incrementally worse, but it's also not free. Get Avast! or Comodo, use Mozilla Firefox and learn to use NoScript along with it to notify you when sites want to do shady things. Also, don't forget the Windows restore from last restore point feature.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 4:47 AM
God, SO many! Recently went to TSR to get some stuff, but when my Kasperski kept saying it had detected something bad (forgot what it called it), I stopped. Makes me even more mad then the phone calls that you can't stop, despite the "do not call" list. I was told lots of them are from non-US companies, which don't have to follow laws. My gym trainer wanted me to go to a site to track my diet, but it's only "free" because (like every place else) it sales your info to companies that will bombard your computer (AND your phone) with adds. No thanks.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2014 at 4:51 AM Last edited by sims 1 : 4th May 2014 at 5:39 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Just look out for 1kb and 2kb files with no programming extension or unusual file extention those can be the worse because no anti-virus on the net can detect them, and they can be many processes in one, and also look for unauthorized connection's by typing in netstat in command prompt to see who is looking through your hard-drive currently.

Normally they don't do anything noticeable but they do have access all the established connections do. Also various types of viral files can be picked up or downloaded from the net or just by viewing a bad web page or site, or even clicking a trip wire link. But yea anyway most times it is a hidden or sometimes not hidden file that is installed.

When installing a program not just from the internet I've had peace of crap computer with tons of virus on it that were undetectable just by buying brand new computer games and software that I paid money for.

Mainly because I had no virus protection and no internet at the time. and yes the games needed patching badly.

Mal-ware is usually a text file when it starts then gets transformed into program using advanced coding or an advanced coding tool. To most eyes it looks like a bunch of crap when written out. But it is really a combo of code in for example when the normal user press w, t, or, f each letter has a certain combo of IO's each letter and key on the keyboard represents a code combo of I's and O's you don't see the codes but that is what is taking place in the bone structure of your computer.

I also know web design and no I don't build programs but I can manually script web pages. have a lot of download experience. I never download any file that i know is supposed to be big but is vary small in size most internet badass'es make them undetectable for any to most anti-virus software and to cause the most damage that is as much damage as your anti-virus software allows without detecting it.

there are 1000's of billions of viruses that no anti-virus can detect. Want my advice download smart, and install anti-virus software I am not saying spyware protection because usually an anti-virus program detects types of malware notice that malware comes in many different forms and ways.

some will just mess with your game, Some will hack the crap out of your computer. Those ones are usually call Trojan horses. Trojan horses on the net are usually caught by anti virus software. because those are the most dangerous kind of malware.

always run a registry cleaner (and) empty out all of your %temp% folders and windows temp and app temp and internet temp after a usage on the internet

don't trust downloads that don't identify the creator or give contact info

if you keep any downloads make sure that you delete any file without an extension sometimes you may have to break the file structure by renaming it if the non extension file won't delete and if it won't delete then it is a virus and you may have to recode the roots in which I just rename it but that don't useuly work for the advanced programmers on modern internet downloads

A GREAT ONLINE SCANNER IT WILL PICK UP THE DANGEROUS ONES I use this one because many techs I paid pointed me out to this one. I don't like Avast because I Had been broken into by someone while using that software but the virus scanner I use now is not rated the best but it is full version and free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/s...us/default.aspx
Scholar
#5 Old 3rd May 2014 at 5:54 PM
I can't find my Kaspersky in my computer anymore since I updated to Windows 8.1..
Alchemist
#6 Old 3rd May 2014 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChinchillaJesus
I can't find my Kaspersky in my computer anymore since I updated to Windows 8.1..

It's just begging to be said... I'm sorry, but I must: That's because Windows 8.1 is a virus.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2014 at 6:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Feb 2016 at 7:52 PM.
I've never (kncok on wood) had anything my computer(s) and their antivirus/antimalware couldn't handle there and then. I do however keep getting nightmares about having computer viruses, and my imagination is quite vivid. So I try to do frequent backups and the like, just in case.

How to avoid picking up viruses:
- Get an antivirus program that picks up and/or blocks most of the viruses, one that does not interfere too much with other programs and isn't stupid enough to delete files you want to have on your computer (yes, some will do that, and better stay away from those). Don't use antivirus programs you've never heard of before, and check them out before you install.
- Don't upen E-mails if they look weird, if you're not expecting them, or if they're from someone you don't know and/or trust. And if you open them, DO NOT click any links!
- Set up your browser so you have to ctrl-click to get up pop-up windows. This will rule out most pop-up window malware (and annoying ads). Might be a bit annoying at first, but you'll get used to it.
- Get AdBlock for the browser(s) you use the most.
- Don't visit questionable sites.
- Don't click every single link you can find, particularly not if they look suspicious.
- Don't download files that look suspicious.
- Be wary of adf.ly links and similar.
- Be wary of download pages that aren't common.
- Be wary of USB sticks/dvds/CDs and external harddrives with stuff from other computers.
In other words: Use your head, and don't be gullible.

Also do frequent backups of files you don't want to lose, preferably at least two backups (such as external harddrive + CD/DVD).

And while we're on the theme of internet security, don't let everyone you meet on the net know your personal E-mail addresses, phone number, address, and so forth. That's just stupid. Have at least one E-mail address you use for forums and such, in addition to a personal address for important, personal stuff. Using your full name on forums is also bad. There are a lot of screwed-up people out there, not just those who make malware.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd May 2014 at 7:26 PM
I don't get them, but my husband does even though I put the same programs on his laptop that I use on my PC. I think he picks them up from watching sports matches on free sites. Even though I tell him time and time again, he just isn't careful about the sites or links he clicks on. I usually remove viruses and malware from his laptop without too much difficulty by using Malwarebytes and use Avast for virus protection.

However, he got one that was so bad that it took me several hours to remove entirely. I think it was called the Moneypak virus, and it comes in several forms. It makes you think that either Interpol, the FBI, or local police have detected something on your computer and disables it and says it will unlock by paying the "fine". It accesses your webcam and the "warning" screen prevents you from doing anything. Thankfully I was able to login as a guest on his laptop and work on it that way, but traces of it still remained. I had to install like 3 other things to completely eradicate it. It took me about 6 hours. I swear if he ever gets another virus like that again I'm going to install NetNanny on his computer, lol.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th May 2014 at 5:26 AM Last edited by sims 1 : 4th May 2014 at 5:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Elledee
I don't get them, but my husband does even though I put the same programs on his laptop that I use on my PC. I think he picks them up from watching sports matches on free sites. Even though I tell him time and time again, he just isn't careful about the sites or links he clicks on. I usually remove viruses and malware from his laptop without too much difficulty by using Malwarebytes and use Avast for virus protection.

However, he got one that was so bad that it took me several hours to remove entirely. I think it was called the Moneypak virus, and it comes in several forms. It makes you think that either Interpol, the FBI, or local police have detected something on your computer and disables it and says it will unlock by paying the "fine". It accesses your webcam and the "warning" screen prevents you from doing anything. Thankfully I was able to login as a guest on his laptop and work on it that way, but traces of it still remained. I had to install like 3 other things to completely eradicate it. It took me about 6 hours. I swear if he ever gets another virus like that again I'm going to install NetNanny on his computer, lol.

That is a fairly new virus I heard of, I think your thinking of the FBI virus in which disables all windows features like clicking on the start button clicking on icons and ONLY lets you view your desktop but can't click type or do anything that one was at first undetectable and Microsoft warned me about the FBI virus that had many people screwed to the point, even after a windows re-install.

if you get that one you may have to throw out your hardirve.

being nice to people has it's benefits and being mean or nasty has no benefit and your only hurting yourself in the long run.
if anyone want to make an angel like mine here is the wings link (blue eyes not included) sorry
http://modthesims.info/browse.php?tag=wings&f=38
Field Researcher
#10 Old 4th May 2014 at 6:42 AM
That is the one my husband had on his laptop, but I think it's actual name is MoneyPak. I live in Spain and in my case it was a warning from the Spanish Police, so it was the same virus with a variation. It did exactly like you said, it disabled his laptop. Thankfully it was just his login that was effected. I logged in as a guest and was able to remove most of it that way. After I removed most of it, it would still attempt to launch the virus, there were still traces of it deep in the registry that the other programs I used couldn't remove. I had to download a few other programs to get rid of them. I did eventually remove it completely, but I must say that was the most difficult one I dealt with. I'm not a computer expert by any means, I'm sure a more tech savvy person would have wiped it in less than 6 hours, but I did at one stage think it would have to be removed by a professional.
Test Subject
#11 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 5:27 PM
TeslaCrypt is a ransomware trojan which targeted computers with specific computer games installed.
Upon infecting a computer, the malware searches for 185 file extensions related to 40 different games, which include the Call of Duty series, World of Warcraft, Minecraft and World of Tanks, and encrypts them. The files targeted involve the save data, player profiles, custom maps and game mods stored on the victim's hard drives. The victim is then prompted with a ransom of $500 worth of bitcoins in order to obtain the key to decrypt the files. To decrypt and remove telsocrypt go to - http://sureshotsoftware.com/guides/teslacrypt-mp3/
This will guide you well
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 8:49 PM
I use an email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) and avoid many issues with email by only letting it show me emails in plain text. Forget the html - you're on a hiding to nothing.

The worst thing I had I couldn't get rid of with just Avast and had to employ Malwarebytes to winkle the sucker out. Can't remember what it was now. Naaaasty thing though. Oh and there was that one thing I had to download a specific fix for. That was a long time ago. I think the biggest protection is just not going to dodgy sites you don't know.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 9:49 PM
Having an adblocker plugin for your browser is a first step in the right direction. Secondly, having an antivirus is a must. Windows 8 and higher come with one built-in, but it should not be used as the first line of defense.

I use Bitdefender Free Edition, it automatically scans in the background and runs silently for the most part. I did have Avira Free, but it pestered you to upgrade too often. Bitdefender Free is like a ninja. Takes care of problems swiftly and silently.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

I'm with Maxon, and highly recommend Malwarebytes Free edition. This isn't necessarily a virus scanner, but a virus / trojan / malware remover. Run it once a week before you go to bed and you should be okay. This should be used alongside your antivirus, it's not a replacement for your antivirus.

And lastly, just like Maxon and others have said, don't download from strange websites. Download from trusted creators, MTS, etc.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smh0407
Hello! I have recently came across the enemy of the internet: Malware. I had this awful Malware virus on my computer and it sucked.. Everything was slow, crashing etc.. But I downloaded multiple Malware solution virus thingys and I finally got rid of it. So in your replys tell me if you ever had malware, ever heard of it, your experience, or/ and how you got rid of it. Or if anyone CURRENTLY has this virus on their computer maybe others could leave ideas on how to fix it. (BTW I used Norton Security Suite to get rid of Malware, I recommend it, tell me if you used Norton too) So yea, pretty random but ^.^

There are many malware tools available in the market, and most of them can be used to deal with malware. However, not every tool can detect and remove all types of malware threats. Hence, sometimes you need to install different tools on your PC. Below I will list several tools that I find useful in dealing with malware.

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/ - One of the best removal tools out there right now.

- TDSSKiller - http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363 - Rootkit removal tool from Kaspersky. Pretty snazzy if you ask me.

- Avira AntiVir Personal - Avira Free Antivirus 15.0.19.164 - Really good free anti-virus application. Has somewhat annoying ad that pops up reminding you of all the fantastic other stuff you get it you would just buy it already. I've found this confuses and scares less savvy users that think it may be one of those fake-AV trojans.

-SpyHunter - http://www.trymytools.com/download-tool/ - A powerful anti-malware program that can deal with different types of malware including Trojans, worms, viruses, browser hijackers, adware and PUPs.

- Microsoft Security Essentials - Windows | Official Site For Microsoft Windows 10 OS, Laptops, PCs, Tablets & More - Microsoft's free Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program. Has gotten great reviews and I've been using it on systems instead of Avira. Doesn't catch everything but neither does Symantec, McAfee, Sophos, ESET, Avira, Avast, Panda, Trend, etc . . .

Mad Poster
#15 Old 25th Apr 2017 at 12:41 PM
Thank you for making this thread. I get so confused by all the anti virus stuff out there. Recently I've been very unhappy with AVG, which I've had for years. But they've become SO aggressive in trying to sell me their more premium products, that I hesitate to even run the scan. I literally cannot turn the internet on without popups from them (I have ad blocker, but it doesn't stop installed programs from spamming me) DEMANDING that I protect my computer better by paying them a LOT of money. At one point AVG even uninstalled itself from my computer and then spammed me that I was unprotected.

I will certainly be checking out some of these programs.

And your explanations of what all I need and why I need it are helpful, too. I'm never going to be a computer person and the technology and terminology change so often I really can't keep up.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 6:52 PM
I get that people are mostly trying to be helpful... but in future, if this thread is resurrected after a year+ of inactivity by someone just posting links, the post will be considered advertising and will be deleted. If, however, people want to chat about malware, go right ahead.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.