Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 6:37 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 11th Mar 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Default s4pe Inline Help -- WIP/Feedback
Here is the current status of /HelpFiles/Contents.htm (converted to bbcode with http://www.garyshood.com/htmltobb/ so this has no styling now, but I don't think I can post html here)

This is the document that opens when you do top menu > Help > Contents in s4pe.

For now I've just put it all on one page, starting with the TOC; the html has inline links that point to the sub-sections below (not sure whether they work in bbcode too).

I've yet to cover Tools and Settings menus; I just wanted to post this so that I have something to link to for the Inline Help Feedback link.

Additions, questions, comments appreciated!

--------------------------------------

Contents
How to use s4pe

Open the package you want to edit; this will show you the list of resources on the left side and a preview of the selected resource on the right side.

To sort the resource list, use the “Tag”, “Type”, “Group” etc headings at the top.

To find resources by name, type, group and so on, type/paste what you are looking for in the Filter fields at the bottom of the window, then tick the box in front, hit Set and tick Filter Active. Note that IDs are hexadecimal and need to be prefixed with “0x”.

To find resources by content (like tags or internal names), use the Search tool in the top menu: Tools > Search. String search is case sensitive.

--

To edit a resource, hit the Grid button at the bottom of the window.Do not edit the game files directly ‒ copy the resources you want into a new package and edit them there.

To modify collections in Grid view, click on the ... button at the right-hand side.

This will open the collection in a new window, where you can add and remove elements.

--

To renumber, copy, export, replace, duplicate .. a resource, use the contextual menu (rightclick on the resource in the list) or the Resource menu at the top. Export > To File always dumps the resource as-is. Options like Export to PNG (available on THUM resources) are using external helpers that usually do some reformatting or conversion so that the resource will be editable in other tools.

To import new resources, you can drag and drop packages or files onto the s4pe window, or use Resource > Import > From File / From Package in the top menu. In order for s4pe to recognise resource names automatically, they need to conform either to the s4pe (S4_type_group_instance) or the EA (group!instance.type) standard.

To see a list of installed helpers or activate/deactivate them, use Settings > External Program Settings. Here you can also assign external programs for hex and text editing.

--

Documentation

Tutorials

General

CAS Parts

Strings

Walls/Floors/Terrain Paint

Other

See also

Troubleshooting

• “Could not find a resource handler” message in the preview window and all options greyed out

This means you have extracted s4pe with something other than 7zip, which is the single most common reason that s4pe is not working correctly. Download 7zip and try again.

Links

s4pe Inline Help, Revision 1 (s4pe 0.4.4-beta) | 2016-02
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.