Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 4:03 AM
Dirt roads and intersections issues
So I've literally spent days looking for a real solution to the issue with how the dirt roads display so poorly in CAW.

Surprise surprise. I didn't really find one. I was going to tackle working on it myself. I'm not bad with photoshop, but when I realized the .dds files needed a different program I gave up on that idea pretty quick. So then I was hoping someone else had already solved the opacity issue for me and I just went in search of the file somewhere I could download. It still seems weird to me that I couldn't find any dds files for download at all - considering how many other threads have been made on this exact issue. (If anyone has working files, please share, or provide a link!)
From the various threads I've read through it seems like different people get different results with the same files. So no promises that everyone will get the same results with my experiments, I just thought I'd share what I discovered just in case it's of use to anyone else.

Aaaaaaanyway, I attached everything in jpg files, the first image showing all 4 types I think are usable, and then the rest are the individual roads and the files I used (hopefully they're not too difficult to make out.) None of these are perfect, but at least you can see what each file configuration will produce, and you can pick whichever one suits your needs best. You could even mix and match. Good luck!

Note: If you're having a hard time making out the file names, just right click on the image and save it to your computer. You should be able to zoom in enough from your own image viewer to read everything!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 5:07 AM
Not sure if this is helpful or not for you, but it's not hard to open and edit .dds files with GIMP (free) and a plugin for that file type (I was experimenting with creating posters for my game and can confirm it worked). And if you're comfortable with photoshop, GIMP is easy to pick up.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 7:49 AM Last edited by simsample : 4th Apr 2017 at 8:12 AM.
You don't need a different program, you just need the DDS plugins for Photoshop.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there are a fair few groundcover and road textures for download in our CAW Resources section:
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=625
dodgy builder
#4 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 3:43 PM
Yes, you're in the wrong forum on this site. In the top menu click on create on a computer. You find the caw forum under ts3 there.

NVIDIA has a plugin for Photoshop, but if you use it a lot and want more creative program, you could try Adobe Creative Cloud. Then you don't need a plugin ... I think.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 4:53 AM
I tried downloading and installing the plugin for photoshop and it didn't work. I'm not interested in having to download and install or learn any new programs (i.e. GIMP.)

Apologies for being in the wrong forum. I've been around for a long time but this is my first post and I guess I got lost and didn't notice.

Anyway, I was just sharing what I learned, and asked if anyone had FINISHED files to share. I already know all that other stuff about the plugin and GIMP and am not interested in any further fiddling myself regarding making dirt roads in CAW. But thanks anyway guys.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 5:47 AM
Did you try the resource link Simsample gave you. Lots of finished files there.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#7 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 5:50 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Did you try the resource link Simsample gave you. Lots of finished files there.

I've been perusing and have found a couple that might work, but nothing yet stands out as exactly what I want. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again everyone. Nice community here.