Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 12:46 PM
Quote:
Have you considered doing a plugin for MODLs?

I created the GEOM importer/exporter using this spec
I can't do much with MODLs since its spec is incomplete. I think WesHowe is working on it.
Currently, i'm working on a script to import a GEOM morph file (applying to another GEOM mesh), and export a GEOM morph (calculating differences from an original GEOM mesh)

Quote:
I seem to be having some import troubles. I extracted the GEOM scenegraph and everything, but when I try to import it into Blender, I get an error....and the mesh fails to load. I installed the scripts correctly and the Sims 3 GEOM extension importer shows up, but it just won't load =/

Look at console messages. The plugin writes some possible errors in the Blender console window.
I'm not a very experienced python programmer, so i still don't know how to show messages into Blender interface :p

@Others:
The elf ears is just a replacement to the teen head mesh. I just edited the teen lod1 head.
I don't think it would be useful, as it will cause a whole city of teen elfs
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#27 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:03 PM
I always forget about the console I'll go look at it now

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
#28 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:28 PM
i would try this, but i really have no idea what you people are talking about at all.
so i changed my mind and i'll leave it to the smart people (:

if its 'Survival of the fittest'
then why are you still here?
Field Researcher
#29 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by morgade
@Others:
The elf ears is just a replacement to the teen head mesh. I just edited the teen lod1 head.
I don't think it would be useful, as it will cause a whole city of teen elfs

Actually, I'm glad you said that. Means we don't have to mess about with accessories that can't be worn with earrings or glasses, or trying to match up the colour.

It would be very useful, in fact. Make up the replacement package, install it just for the purpose of making elves, then take out again before you play. PITA I know, but until/unless custom faces are cracked, it's workable - at least we could do that in TS2 without affecting existing sims

So.. pretty please explain how you did it? :D

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
Field Researcher
#30 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 2:00 PM
Updated to version 0.5

Now you can add new vertexes to the mesh or subdivide edges.
The export script will assign to new vertices the same vertexid of the nearest original vertex (so, your new vertexes will deform with CAS sliders)

Do NOT extrude faces as this will change vertex order

I was able to add real nipples (with depth) to female meshes subdividing edges.
I don't know if this kind of content is allowed here. Posted at the adult site (waiting in moderation queue)

Had it been possible to fix the feet and add toes? The game comes with lots of nice sandals but the feet are too ugly to use them. I guess it would be a problem with the texture map; one solution might be to subdivide around the toe area and push vertexes together and inn to define toes. It would not mater much if the areas between the toes got texture distortion as it would be almost invisible.

One related question, how is the morphs for body morphs done, does it has one fat and one muscular mesh in addition to the standard, or does it use a magnet system.
I assume clothes use the same system.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#31 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by magnemoe
Had it been possible to fix the feet and add toes? The game comes with lots of nice sandals but the feet are too ugly to use them. I guess it would be a problem with the texture map; one solution might be to subdivide around the toe area and push vertexes together and inn to define toes. It would not mater much if the areas between the toes got texture distortion as it would be almost invisible.

In theory you can just make more detailed skins to create the appearance of shaplier feet/toes to save the mesh poly count. But then I'd imagine that games with lower graphics wouldn't benefit much from the skins at all...ah well...I'll stop ramblin' now

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:36 PM
Hi, thanks for the Plugin,

One issue though.

I have just tried it now, works ok and the resulting meshes function in game BUT i'm getting the split group seam that we used to get from Wes's Milkshape plugins.

Is there anyway to stop this from happening. Is there a setting in Blender that will avoid this.

I'm starting to like Blender as a modelling package, once you get past the unique interface , the actual modelling tools become pretty intuitive and I would like to continue using it.

Something, something, something, Darkside
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 1:56 AM Last edited by morgade : 25th Jul 2009 at 2:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by RoguePilot

One issue though.

I have just tried it now, works ok and the resulting meshes function in game BUT i'm getting the split group seam that we used to get from Wes's Milkshape plugins.

Is there anyway to stop this from happening. Is there a setting in Blender that will avoid this.

I'm starting to like Blender as a modelling package, once you get past the unique interface , the actual modelling tools become pretty intuitive and I would like to continue using it.

Currently, the only way to not show seams is not moving any vertices at splits. When you move these vertices, normals are recalculated by the plugin and this is the cause of seams appearing. You can make Blender show what vertices i'm talking about using Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M when in Edit Mode.
This will be fixed soon (I just need to make sure that vertices in the same location has the same normals).

Blender UI is simply the best. You just need to get used to the concept of using mouse + keyboard shortucts. When you get used to it, it's the fastest modeling/animation tool in the world !

I tried Milkshape and just can't get used to it (could not even select a vertice on it).

---------------------------------------
Edit:

I posted a morph import beta script (still randomly making Blender to close).
You now can import morphs selecting a morph file, then a mesh file to be applied.

With this you can see how your mesh will react to FAT/THIN/FIT morphs without starting the game.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 4:12 AM

One issue though.

Blender is a great tool, once you get used to the mistakes sensibility. You click once and then your object starts increasing and moving. But hey, i think that might be a beginner's issue, i never mastered no 3d modelling software.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 25th Jul 2009 at 9:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the updates.

I'll keep practicing with Blender then.

I can avoid the seams issue by, as you say not moving them, and then using Milkshape to finish up. Blender has a nice organic sculptors feel to it, but I'm better at using Milkshape for numerically precise edits.

Cheapncheerful. Took me a while to work out how to undo, and with things moving and changing when I don't expect them to, undo is really really useful.

Test Subject
#36 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 6:12 PM
Hrm. I can't get the plugins to work at all with Blender. I currently have python 2.6.2 and blender 249.2 (?). The option to import is there, however when I click on either geom importer or morph importer i get an error message saying to check the console (It took me about a half hour to figure out what the hell that meant), and I have managed to copy the results of said failings.

Aparently I'm missing a module entitled BPyImage ? But I have no idea what this is or why I would be missing it. I just installed Python and Blender. Like an hour ago.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 7:09 PM
Hi aaroc,
I just checked my installation of blender and the BPyImage.py module is in
.blender\scripts\bpymodules.
I've got 2.49a version of Blender and the same version of python as you.
Try downloading Blender again as the zipped directory rather than as a self executable. Drop the whole thing into your Blender folder and that should clear things up.

Test Subject
#38 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 9:40 PM
Thanks RP that cleared things up for me, so I was able to import stuff into Blender.

Still not able to get a good mesh for what I'm trying to do though :P
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 2:31 AM
Blender UI is simply the best. You just need to get used to the concept of using mouse + keyboard shortucts. When you get used to it, it's the fastest modeling/animation tool in the world !

I tried Milkshape and just can't get used to it (could not even select a vertice on it).

I agree with you 100%! I'm in awe at the people who are able to mesh with Milkshape. :P

Any further luck on the MODL imp/exp scripts? I am holding my breath for these-- way eager to start creating for the game but really can't bring myself to use Milkshape...
Forum Resident
#40 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 8:55 AM
Great work!
Hope you can make it!

//HB

♥Adam Ant♥
No, I don't take request at the moment
11/7 -09 My beautiful niece was born!
Test Subject
#41 Old 21st Sep 2009 at 12:44 AM
Can someone help me? I don't understand how you want us to use s3pe.
Test Subject
#42 Old 21st Sep 2009 at 12:47 AM
Hi aaroc,
I just checked my installation of blender and the BPyImage.py module is in
.blender\scripts\bpymodules.
I've got 2.49a version of Blender and the same version of python as you.
Try downloading Blender again as the zipped directory rather than as a self executable. Drop the whole thing into your Blender folder and that should clear things up.
Hey! : I was having the same problem and tried what you said, but it isn't fixed. Can you help?
Test Subject
#43 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 5:33 AM
hi,morgade,thank you very much for the plugin.

but I have a problem with exporting GEOM using sim3pe: I can not find the face mesh geom file in the fullbuild01.package or any where else, its so frustrating!

the screenshot of the teen elf ear you posted makes me confused, it seems like you can import the mesh for the actual sim created in the CAS to Blender, which maybe makes editting the face mesh using third party software possible, isnt it so exicting, but according to other resources there is no face mesh edittable in the Sims 3.

would you pls tell me how you did it, I really don think I can find the face mesh without help from expert like you!

hope you can see these words!
Test Subject
#44 Old 4th Oct 2009 at 4:25 AM
How work this tool ? ;x
Test Subject
#45 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 5:33 AM
This doesn't work with .s3asc files does it?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#46 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 3:24 PM
.s3asc (object) import/export is in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=389058 – WIP, testers welcome.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 5:40 PM
Thank you so much for this!

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Forum Resident
#48 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 6:56 PM
How do I make the .geom a .simgeom?

Field Researcher
#49 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 7:09 PM
For reference, it may be a good idea to have a look at http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...s_3_Hair_Basics

Also, all the Body Meshing stuff seems to have migrated to the CAS area of the forums.

Also see http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...3_CAS_Tutorials
Forum Resident
#50 Old 20th Feb 2010 at 7:09 PM
Thanks again Cei.

Page 2 of 5