Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2018 at 12:23 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 24th May 2018 at 9:47 PM.
Default How do your sims, the society progress in time?
Just wondering, for those to play a playstyle where there's a progress going on where like the world is changing in technological, studies, education advancements.

For example, the particular hood I had set this sort of gameplay is where all the households of the first generation start with only basic simple shelter, a kitchen that only includes a mini fridge and a sink tube, no electricity (candle instead of lights), dining chairs with a table, cheap plumbing. To earn more stuff, everybody in the neighborhood has to make a step that would introduce things, such as invention of objects (through object-making stations), the introduction of literature and literacy (somebody needs to publish a novel), master a particular skill to unlock specific npc services (cleaning for maid, garden badge for gardener) or item (the painting corresponds the value of the artwork's enviroment score), position filled for architects to unlock build mode item, transportation via attain bronze robotic badge and restoring the junk car, etc. and etc. I have made a set of rules that I shared it here for those who are interested to see or try it out.

Now, how do your neighborhoods envolve in time?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 20th May 2018 at 1:45 PM
I tried something like that in my current Beginning Neighbourhood, I pretended the Neighbourhood started in 1920 with electronics, clothing and social norms adapted to that (including the horrible parts of that society).
That lasted until the 3rd generation, who were dressed in 1950s style during their teenager phase. Once they grew up into adults I had a women's lib and social rights movement and from then on it kinda dissolved into the "vague 2000s" the Sims 2 is set in. The one important thing that is still missing are proper LGBT rights (marriage and adoption) which will come about once Cassandra Goth turns into an adult.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#3 Old 20th May 2018 at 2:46 PM
Unfortunately, there's not enough CC for me to do as much with this as I'd like, but my current hood is in some vague space between 1975-1985ish. Wealthy Sims can afford the boxy computer. I downloaded several older cars. Flat screen televisions and monitors are not available yet. They're just coming out of the era that expected unwed mothers to give their children up for adoption and that believed an unhappy marriage is better than a divorce. All Sims have equal rights though. Everyone of every color lives in harmony and anyone can marry whomever they want as long as they're both adults.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st May 2018 at 2:27 AM
I've got a BACC-type set of rules that have my city work its way up from a shack on the beach to a thriving metropolis. I'm trying to use building style as a shorthand for time passing, with each subhood having architecture specific to a particular time.
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd May 2018 at 8:55 PM
well my current hood dinglebogian village has a sort of vintage feel to it and will soon be completely modern,and sims will be more accepting as aliens are segregated in the village.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd May 2018 at 10:26 PM
My society progresses, but not very quickly - and it's complicated both by the fact that there is magic involved and that the starting point was, in some respects, already in the future.

Near the start of SimHampton, space flight as a viable, convenient, interstellar public transport service was invented, but most Sims couldn't go there for more than shopping trips or short visits due to bureaucracy (unlike in real life, it was never a financial problem once the basics of the public transport system were created - it is paid for out of taxes - though occasionally the company responsible has refused to accept the money of a leader they considered corrupt, bringing the service to a halt). Various potions have been invented in the years since, solar panels were considered to have been invented four "Sim years" ago (or, when Apartment Life came out) and nowadays any Sim with enough ties to another planet can generally expect to convince the local authorities to give them a residence visa and dual citizenship rights.

Magic has become more powerful and more techniques invented, even though most of these powers and techniques have to be invented and enacted without reference to built-in game capabilities. Witchcraft of all moral angles has become socially acceptable, werewolves are never commented upon (vampires have always been regarded highly, in part due to their mesmerism skills). Elves have, however, become more insular - not all progress is good.

Now, the Sims are trying to adjust to the fact that their town has landed next to a quaint English village and they all have different ideas about society, technology and magic...

None of these has been through a specific checkpoint - rather, I get story ideas and gradually think through the consequences of these actions, I get a download that inspires me to enact change... ...or my Sims do things that make me think a change in background circumstances is occurring.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 24th May 2018 at 12:45 AM
Mine has not really progressed but rather expanded. When I not play my megahood which is basically set in modern times, I play my medieval-fantasy kind of hood.
It is a set of main neighborhood and sub-neighborhoods functioning as different monarchies. Women are their fathers or husbands property and can be married or sold off at any given time. Through the hacked wedding arch it is possible to marry a child to an adult or children to each other to strenghten the family bonds. While the peasants and city folk are easier on their families and may easier look away when things happen that are not supposed to happen, nobility and royalty is a different theme. They are the most hypocrites you can imagine...just like in history. Women have to be pure and bear children, no more. But her husband can take as many mistresses as he likes. Especially the king who disowned his own wife in favour of his mistress and is now whooing that mistress niece (I think she is her niece or her second cousin, not sure right now). Other women have secretly climbed the social ladder through their "services" to the highborns and others have lost it all in failed attempts.
Things progress slowly. Since the queen of a neighbouring country had to seek refuge in the main hoods kings kingdom, female opposition has risen. Her oldest daughter is willing to do everything to secure the throne for herself instead for her brothers. She is supposed to marry the crown prince's son but instead has seduced the crown prince himself to make him divorce his wife (a member of the second most important noble family in their kingdom) and marry her instead, so she will first be queen consort and then go to war with her brothers to claim the throne once her mother dies...
Other women have fled from their families into the desert where the Sultan rules and seeked refuge in the harem. Unlike what many in the west think, the harem was not just a place where the sultan could take his concubines from but was actually a place for women to receive free education and actually rise in social means.
Others that did not want to run away but also did not want to marry some stranger they never met, joined the covent of Queen Anastasia (the disowned queen of the already mentioned king). She is heavily funding the convent what her husband ignores as long as his mistress keeps him happy.
I'm now in week 8 and by now the old generation is slowly dying and families start to climb social ladders, women break free more often and racism is slowly breaking down as more people of color marry into the more wealthy families. But it will be a long way until they will reach a modern society. At the moment it is like two steps for and the one step back.
Inventor
#8 Old 24th May 2018 at 1:23 AM
I tend to play 'through the decades' in real-world settings my 'hoods (Pleasantview, CA; Riverblossom Hills, NH; etc.). With this particular one I'm planning, it starts in the late 80s; all the great-grandparents settled in the 19th century and their descendants live within the same proximity. The Cold War is nearing its end, and my neighborhood has grown from a simple northwest Florida beach town/military base to a beach resort. A good chunk of the population is military families and transfers. The locals that have been there for a long time are slowly being pushed out in favor for tourists and vacationers. Then it skips forward to the 90s and then to the 00s-10s, and the beach resort town is now a mini city. All the residents have long since moved out because of its growth through the decades. There are other neighborhoods I have planned in my 'Across Simerica' story I'm brainstorming, but that's the gist.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Scholar
#9 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:43 PM
My partially inhabited hood Feeladelphia is a strange mix of various periods, 1920s to mid 1980s, where the majority of buildings are from 40s and early 50s building plans. Are the buildings in any particular order? Nope, I just build them where ever. I think that time does progress and changes are made frequently, in that there are new looking old buildings or old looking old buildings.

I still use up to date tech in many of the buildings because the backstory that I have is that Feeladelphia is actually an advanced simulation facility where experiments are being carried out on the inhabitants, guinea pigs developed in another experimental facility (testing hood). The aim is to see how these artificial beings adapt to life situations designed to intentionally manipulate their lives out of their control while they continue believe otherwise. So while the simulation is presently being carried out, citizens think that they are in a different year than they actually are. That's why Feeladelphia has to be a combination of everything or else the future citizens could get suspicious and I can't have that happening.