Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 1:10 PM Last edited by SuperFly : 3rd Aug 2006 at 8:02 PM.
Default DIY Career Repair Centre, plus how to make careers EP ready (beginner's tutorial)
It recently came to my attention that a number of well written careers are not properly made up. It can be extremly frustrating to find a wonderful career that ins't EP ready, or is overwritng one of your favourite Maxis careers. Without the creator's permission, you cannot change them. This leaves people in a bit of a sticky state. I have decided therfore to create a simple, easy to use tutorial for fixing your favourite careers for your own use. It covers Guid and Group ID fixtures, and EP readiness . I hope that at least 1 person find it useful

The latest version of SimPE can be found here.

The Guid and Group ID

In order for a career to not overwrite anything, the guid and group ID need to be changed. Let us take an example of a career where these values have not been changed.

The Group ID-

Open the career, click on Object Data in the Resource Tree. Look to the right and look at the file's group.

If the group reads 0xFFFFFFFF, good. If not, you need to change it (whilst it is true you can create a Group ID from your guid, it is unwise to do so). Go to the top of the SimPE screen, and click 'Fix Integrity', then ok. You may need to search to find the 'Fix Intergrity' button. Save the file.

The Guid-

Click on the file in Object Data and write down the name of the file found in the filename box (highlighted). Next, click the text that says 'get GUID' near the bottom of the screen (also highlighted).

A screen should pop up. If registered, re-name the career and click 'Register Object'. If you are a new user, register and follow the same procedure.

If you want, rename the career in the filename name (this isn't nessesary however). Commit your changes and save.

Your career will now no longer overwrite Maxis careers

Making a career EP ready

OK, time to explain how to make a career EP ready...

First stage is to open your career in SimPE. In the Resource tree, there should be a set of titles with a number next to each of them. Check the first number.

If it's 108, celebrate with a wild party- the career is already EP ready.
If it's 104, mourn for a day or two- you need to make it EP ready.

First stage is to work out what base your career came from (i.e. what career path did you edit?). For example, all my careers are based on the slacker career. Sometimes this will be available in the Object Data page-

Once you've worked out what career yours is based on, go here- http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038. Download the file that contains the base career you're working from, so for me I'd take TS2USlackerCareer.rar

Open the new base career you've just downloaded and click on Behaviour Constant in the Resource Tree and click Fix Integrity, then OK.

You should see a column named Instance. You need to find instances 0x00001056 (called Tuning - Flags)
0x00001057 (called Tuning - Chance Card Levels)
0x00001058 (called Top Memory)

Select all three files, right click on them and extract them to a known location on your computer.

Done? Now go to Behaviour Function in the Resource Tree.

Locate the file with the Instance
0x00001002 (Called CT - Lifetime Want Satisfy)

Extract it to the same folder you extracted your other files to. Close this career and bring up your own career (the new one you're editing)

Now, click on Behaviour Constant. In the box with all the files to the right, right click and click 'Add'. It doesn't matter where you click.

Locate the first three files you extracted- they should read like the ones in the below screenshot. Select all three and click Open. Save your career.

Click on Behaviour Function. Repeat the file adding process, only now you want to add a single file, which should look like this-

Save again, click Fix Integrity (just to stay safe) and save. Voila! Just check the number of files you have- you should end up with 108- hopefully

Feel free to ask any questions

Superfly

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 2:02 PM
Well done! I hope that your useful info will help people to create fully functional careers

On a side note - Very funny name for your thread: it's a "Repair Center", but "Do it yourself"! LOL!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 2:14 PM
Thank you, I find this extremely useful...now I don't have to decide between interesting new careers and great maxis staples. This is wonderful!
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd May 2006 at 1:10 PM Last edited by blade1446 : 23rd May 2006 at 1:13 PM. Reason: mistakes
First, I am one who forgot do the GUID thing and I must say THANKSSSSS for taking care of checking that and I am very sorry if I overwrote someone else's career, sorryyyy

Second, I have a problem! Can somebody tell me? How to assign my custom careers to my sims? I am sooo stupid that I lost the paper where I usually write down cheats and now I don't remember exactely how to do it and I cant try the new career I've done
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd May 2006 at 1:17 PM
blade, I believe what you are looking for can be found here- http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=99665

Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd May 2006 at 2:32 PM Last edited by blade1446 : 23rd May 2006 at 2:38 PM. Reason: mistake
Have I ever written in here "what would all of us do without SuperFly?"

Thanxxxxxx very much indeed
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 7th Jun 2006 at 12:17 PM
Thank you so much for this! I've been trying to create careers and could not figure out why Clean Installer kept highlighting my careers in red but other custom careers it didn't. The "fix integrity" hint certainly fixed the problem. Superfly, you are my hero!
Instructor
#8 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 2:58 PM
I have only 1 problen to mak own careers and that i don't find a career file to start/clone a new career from

Unauthorized incoming post!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 3:50 PM
Base careers can be found here.

Instructor
#10 Old 16th Jun 2006 at 6:21 PM
Thanks

Unauthorized incoming post!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 17th Jun 2006 at 12:51 PM
Thanks alot for this SuperFly, this helped me ALOT :salute:

Eternally a sin

Dans l'amour vrai c'est l'ame qui embrasse le corps <3

Something wicked is coming up..!
Test Subject
#12 Old 18th Jun 2006 at 4:36 AM Last edited by blade1446 : 18th Jun 2006 at 4:56 AM. Reason: mistake
Default help
This is my last chance to this career which I can't make it work.
This is a career based on chance cards, everything depends on chance cards so the promotion happends depending on the answer to the chance cards which are supposed to always appear with a chance of happening of 100%.

There are more surprises but these are the career's backbones:
1 Travel agent (promote by skills points)
2 Holidays (chance card: Fancy a trip? -> yes level 3, no stay in 3)
3 National trip guide to SimVillage (chance card: Fancy holidays? -> yes level 4, no stay in 3)
4 Holidays (same as 2)
5 National trip guide to SimBeach (same as 3)
6 Holidays (same as 2)
7 International trip guide to Simgland (chance card: Fancy a trip? -> yes level 8, no level 9)
8 International trip guide to Maxis Islands (chance card: Fancy being director? -> yes level 9, no back to 6)
9 Travel angency director (chance card: buy the agency? -> yes level 10, no back to 1)
10 Travel agency owner

Is a travelling guide career so the idea is, my sim goes to work (trip) and spend 20 or 18 hours working, while working a chance cards appears to say it will have holidays as returning from the trip and its answer makes it promote or not. Holidays is a level of the career so having holidays means promoting. While in holidays my sim has to pop around the office to check if there is a trip scheduled, that means it goes to work for just 2 hours and a chance card tells her/him if wanna go on a trip or stay at home for some more days. All rules like that but the first level which works as usual (by skills points).

The problem I found was: Chance of happening 100% doesn't work. I test everything and for me, with a 100% the chance card never happends. If I use a 99% it happens some times but just for holidays levels, keep not appearing for travelling levels.

Can anybody help? Superly? this career is starting being fustrating.

SOS :p
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Career_TS2EP1A_travelling_05_blade1446.rar (16.3 KB, 37 downloads)
Test Subject
#13 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 5:54 AM
Default Help
Here it is SuperFly. I can get the career to show in game, but no matter what lvl you hire in at or get promoted to, it always shows different when you check your job. Ex: you hire in at lvl 1, but are actually at lvl 4. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I used the bidou career tool in conjunction with SimPe.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS2USGHC.zip (302.9 KB, 31 downloads)
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 10:25 PM
The answer to your problem is that the career has 14 levels. I had this problem when creating careers with less/more levels than average- for some reason, the game puts levels 11 to 14 at the start of the female career tract. There isn't any real way to fix this, so I'd advise you take out some of the levels that you do not need.

Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 3:23 AM
im such a newb at SimPE can i have a tutorial on how to make a custom career?

and i want to have the ability to make chance cards and the icon and stuff plz and thx

If your not stupid click here.

If you clicked there your stupider than you look.
Part-time Hermit
#16 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 7:22 AM
simlyjones, the forum you're at now has tutorials for making custom careers.
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 9:17 PM
Thanks SuperFly. When I was editing the career, I started getting some plugin errors in SimPe. I just rewrote the career, using only 10 slots. I will let you know how it turns out as soon as I test it. I accidently deleted my graduate sim
Test Subject
#18 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 7:42 PM Last edited by tacadv : 9th Jul 2006 at 7:44 PM. Reason: Left something out
Ok. The lvls now work fine. However, I have run into 1 other prob. I could not get my chance cards to work. I currently have 3 for testing. I went back into the file and found 1 was at 100%, 1 at 15%, and 1 at 85%. I reset them to 100%. They still do not work. How do I fix this? These 3 cards are not vital, but are important.
Test Subject
#19 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 3:22 AM
Thanks, I hope it will help me fix careers I've downloaded that don't work properly, although they're really good ones (or would be without the bugs), so they'd actually deserved to work fine. Maybe I'll be going to try an own career later myself (haven't a idea yet).
Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 7:29 PM
Superfly, have you fixed my career yet? where is it? I'm so excited!

My mom is scottish, my dad is dutch, and me? A MONKEY! EEEEEEEEEEE!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Sep 2006 at 4:33 PM
briandam8, try this career out- three things to check-

Does it freeze your game?
Do the money reqrds on levels 7 to 10 work corectly?
Is the career text appearing correctly?

The career should be working now, but please test just to make extra sure.

Best wishes,

Superfly
Attached files:
File Type: zip  IT.zip (27.0 KB, 41 downloads)

Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Sep 2006 at 12:24 PM
thank you so much! by the way i love your sig.!

My mom is scottish, my dad is dutch, and me? A MONKEY! EEEEEEEEEEE!
Test Subject
#23 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 9:53 AM Last edited by dogpuppy : 28th Sep 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Hi superfly, I have the same problem as in this thread http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=150545

And I have looked everywhere I can think of for an answer, but nothing. It's just the display that isn't showing correctly. It doesn't work when your sim is searching for work (by paper or computer) or if you get a promotion. All it says is "there is an opening in the secretary career for a." Or "You got promoted to.!" If you look at the sim's jobinfo, everything is there. The problem is just in the "popup windows".
Ok, I hope I've managed to get myself understood. Sorry for the weird english.

I know there are others who have the same problem, but there are no answers yet. I would be so happy if you could figure this out. I'm such a newbie at all of this. Thanks!

Here is my career:
Attached files:
File Type: rar  secretarycareer060920.rar (13.0 KB, 33 downloads)

*Everything changes. The only thing that does not change, is the fact that everything changes."
Field Researcher
#24 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 12:38 PM
I can correct it if you want to.

I'm going to stop modding the sims 2.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:18 PM
I hadn't found anything wrong, but I found a weird thing, your career file is different from mine.

I'm going to stop modding the sims 2.
Page 1 of 5