Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 6:43 AM Last edited by sasunaru123 : 5th Feb 2018 at 7:03 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Sims 2 and Windows 10 (Intermittent crashes during lot loading)
I recently got a new computer running Windows 10. I've been having this issue with The Sims 2 though. Whenever I load the game it crashes constantly. I don't really know how to stop this from happening either. At first, I thought it was because of neighbourhood corruption but changing neighbourhoods just changed the kind of crashes I get. In my old neighbourhood, it'll crash where ever I am with a dialogue box alerting me to the crash. After testing with a different neighbourhood that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, my issue now is that attempting to load a lot just leads to the game silently crashing in the background and closing itself.

This doesn't always occur but it does enough that I'd say that the game is currently unplayable but when the game does load it plays absolutely fine. At this point, booting the game means just crossing your fingers that it doesn't crash on lot loading. This seems like a problem with Windows 10's compatibility and I figure there is a fix but I haven't found it. I tried running the game in compatibility mode for W7. These crashes seem a lot like the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) crashes that used to plague The Sims 3 but I'm not sure. More than anything, The Sims 2 just seems really unstable and crashes easily. Does anybody have any theories/suggestions?

EDIT: Fun new addition to this post: I just had a crash where a sim went to take a shower, started flashing red, and then the game crashed.

Wanna see my other Custom Content on Tumblr? Click here!
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 2:01 PM
It seems to be an emergent problem for some people with Win10 updating and, possibly, clashing with their video cards. There are several threads on here already (and over at Leefish) discussing possible solutions. I'm about to post a thread about it too though with a potential solution that probably won't help you. One thing that has been mentioned is installing graphics drivers MANUALLY. Have a look around at some of the threads and see what people are suggesting. Video memory seems to be the issue (hence the flashing pink or red).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 12:34 AM
I fixed this issue. All I did was patch the game with the 4GB patch and then add the game to the DEP exceptions list. Also, if anyone is having an issue with low resolution, you can just change them in Graphicsrules.sgr.

Wanna see my other Custom Content on Tumblr? Click here!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 12:41 AM
Glad that worked for you but it hasn't worked for everyone. My game was already 4GB patched and DEP exceptioned with a modified graphicsrules.sgr - I eventually resolved the issue with a dual boot with Win7. Bit extreme but my game is lovely now.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Not actually evil.
#5 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 11:02 PM
@maxon - I did finally get it to work, not crash, and not even flash pink on Windows 10. Had to NOT use compatibility mode, it turns out, and NOT use -CPUCount:1. Initially thought I needed those but they were not helping and may have been contributing to the pink flash and crashing.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 2:11 PM
Oh interesting CoEG - useful information that. I eventually resolved all issues with a dual boot - the game is back to running beautifully - really smooth - on Win7. My feeling is the performance has been deteriorating for some time - backed up by the fact the game is running really well now for me. I can see continuing issues in the future - unless Microsoft decides to do something about it. We can't be the only users of older programmes that are feeling PO about how things are developing. Him Indoors, as I said in another thread, works in a university where a lot of 'legacy' programming is used to run experiments and things. It was his suggestion to try a virtual machine because that's what they've been doing. One of the issues they have is with background programmes running in Win10 - when you're operating lasers with some precision, you cannot have the operating system deciding now is the time for it to update or run a scan or something. That's not something you can control readily with Win10 and its automatic updates.

Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 12:08 AM
Thank you all for these ideas. The 4Gb and DEP exception helped me to solve the major issues. But after playing 15mn the pink glitch comes back, and then the game crash.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Glad that worked for you but it hasn't worked for everyone. My game was already 4GB patched and DEP exceptioned with a modified graphicsrules.sgr - I eventually resolved the issue with a dual boot with Win7. Bit extreme but my game is lovely now.

I would love to try the dual boot but I did'nt find any good site, or tutorial, explaining how to really proceed. A lot of people say that it's quite impossible as win 10 updates tend to erase the other OS.
Do you have any good trick to give me? I'm open to all suggestion. Playing since 2004!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 1:14 PM Last edited by maxon : 18th Feb 2018 at 5:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Shaniah29
I would love to try the dual boot but I did'nt find any good site, or tutorial, explaining how to really proceed. A lot of people say that it's quite impossible as win 10 updates tend to erase the other OS.
Do you have any good trick to give me? I'm open to all suggestion. Playing since 2004!

How odd you can't find a good tutorial. A dual boot is simply having two operating systems on one computer. I did it by inserting my Win7 disk at start up and installing from there. Once you have two systems on your computer, you choose at start up which one you want to use. Win10 sometimes has a habit of assuming you want to use that (and going straight there - probably fast boot which I need to disable) but a restart usually fixes it. Neither system can affect the other so updates to Win10 will not affect a Win7 install - two separate registries for example. You have to double up everything you want to use on both systems - so I have two installations of Opera, two anti-virus, two PaintShopPro, two copies of WinRAR and Fraps etc. etc. But my Win7 installation of TS2 is running really well now. Better frame rates and more stable. The Win10 version has gone back to flashing pink since that version of Windoze updated itself again (I was stopping it manually) - same physical system remember, it's definitely Win10 causing the issue. I'm about to uninstall TS2 from that side of my computer.

You might be thinking of a virtual machine which is a Win7 installation INSIDE a Win10 installation. This is sometimes more convenient for switching (I've already found the switching around a little irritating - not enough to change it mind) but as the one version of Windoze is inside the other, updates to Win10 can make a difference - with drivers for example.

However, these two things are not the same. A dual boot is a cleaner separation between operating systems - because there's no link at all. Win10 is not running when Win7 is and vice-versa. You obviously need plenty of disk space but otherwise, it's fine. When I'm working in Win7 (as I am now), Win10 hasn't even booted so there's no interference. You do have to watch what you delete but I have the installations on separate hard disks (the Win7 on an SSD so it's superfast) so don't touch the other 'main' disk when I'm in one system or the other. I know which ones they are even though the Win7 calls the disks by different drive numbers.

I'm thinking this is going to be a useful fix for a couple of years maybe - since support for Win7 stops in about a year. I don't know what will happen then though I can see a lot of people being very, very pissed off with the current model for Win10 and its forced updates effing things up for them. I nearly got to the point of uninstalling it and only haven't because I play newer, 'bigger' games. I'm thinking now of the Win10 side of the computer as the Big Game side but spend most of my time in here. I'm hoping this is not going to change. Win10 seems to be a PITA for a lot of things.

Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 3:00 PM
Thank you Maxon. A lot of people/tutorial in french and english said Win 10 updates affects Win 7 and make it unable to work.
Thank you so much for this proper explanation. Do you use a whole partition for the win 7 install? I have one full ready and a proper win 7 disk at well.
And sorry to ask you so much questions.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shaniah29
Thank you Maxon. A lot of people/tutorial in french and english said Win 10 updates affects Win 7 and make it unable to work.
Thank you so much for this proper explanation. Do you use a whole partition for the win 7 install? I have one full ready and a proper win 7 disk at well.
And sorry to ask you so much questions.

Win7 is on its own physical disk drive which, as I understand it, is a separate partition automatically so to speak. You don't need to partition a separate standalone drive. A partition would be a separation on the same drive where the partition is given another new drive letter - it's a software created drive as I understand it (I'm no expert).