Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2018 at 1:07 AM Last edited by T Mrett : 30th Mar 2018 at 5:47 AM.
Default Installing the original game and its expansions, what other basic stuff should I add?
Hello. Back when they first came out I had the original Sims and each individual expansion. They're still with me, and I feel like installing them all and starting up the game.

My question is: once I install each one in order, are there any patches or other downloads I should be aware of?

For example, I remember "El Bandito" appearing on your lot for a split second only to disappear, yet the burglar music still plays. Is there anything that fixes this?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 9:40 PM Last edited by Isa-WP : 15th Apr 2018 at 9:14 PM.
No idea about a fix for the disappearing El Bandito, but you might want the fix for the children's Make Cake charm (without the fix it always backfires) from SomeSimThings or SimSky. 'C&C Enterprises' had a mod for jealously so most dancing and a peck on the cheek won't be seen as romantic (sims dance automatically with others in front of the jukebox, it has caused fights). I think you can find the latter in the Yahoo group . The Sims is a very stable game, especially if you install everything, so there isn't much that is strictly necessary. Oh - patch the game of course.
Lot 85 in Studio town (the one with the big spa) has a second car teleporter, I believe somewhere around the hot tubs. I forgot what exactly it messes up, but if you click around on the floor with 'MoveObjects on' you will find this invisible object, the description box will give tip you off. You can just delete it. (It might look like a trashcan in the description box, but the name tells you it's not.) More info here.

To make your life easier (The Sims is hard!), a few recommendations:
Mood: maybe download some Mood Boosters from Around The Sims (sims pay for a boost in a specific need, the least cheaty), or download the SuperSculpture from SomeSimThings which is also useful for other things. Remember, there is no MaxMotives cheat or platinum mood in this game!
Food: Simslice has fixes/default for the food and drinks from the stalls that give much more reasonable boosts to Food or Energy, especially for what you sims pay for them! 'C&C Enterprises' has a mod that let's you buy 5 of an ingredient, or even the set of ingredients that you need for, for example, baking bread. AroundTheSims has 'home grocery' stuff, a bit cheaty since you don't actually have to pay for the ingredients, but some might remember what a pain it is to get Glacial Glass. If you grow tired of salad or meat/potatoes/beans for your sims, 'C&C Enterprises' has Fridges that give more options for food and others have cloned them for more variety in fridges. Woobsha also has some food stuff and AroundTheSims has grills with more to grill than vanilla game.
Cheaty stuff: SomeSimThings has the SuperSculpture, also very handy to fix things, not just for cheating.
Socializing: Gnohmon's YakYakTable (Liugnoyakyak) is a but cheaty (too much Rel. gain) but it will make socializing between family members more realistic. Woobsha has a more reasonable version if I recall correctly.
Skilling: Your sims live forever, they aren't in a hurry. But a lot of the sites I mention below have stuff that lets your sims skill in a different way, for example clones of the easel that train different skills (charisma points for 'designing motivational posters' or logic points for 'solving formulas'). They often sell better too! However, this isn't strictly necessary.
Other Stuff: In fact, SomeSimThings, C&C Enterprises, Woobsha, Gnohmon, Parsimonious, ShinyThings (hosted at Madoria), MagicSims (hosted at Parsimonious), SimSky (also at Parsimonious) and AroundTheSims have a bunch of stuff that goes beyond the appearances of your sims or their houses, like Home-Business stuff, more gardening options, more cooking options, making becoming a SuperStar a bit easier, more ways to gain fun and much more. The Sims forum NoblesseOblige has some good stuff too, some of them clones of C&C or Woobsha stuff (in a good way, like different looks for the YakYak table, or a wheat crop that you can harvest and sell or grind into flour for more money).

Have fun!

edit: I forgot ShinyThings, and I meant Magic Sims, not SimCrafters! Way to go, me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 11:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Stuff like the "fix for the children's Make Cake charm" you mentioned, and a peck on the cheek no longer being considered romantic, are what I had in mind in terms of simply making the game better by fixing bugs and other presumably unintentional things. :P
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 12:49 PM
I'll still recommend Simslice's food and drink fix, the little amount of food fulfillment the game gives you for the amount your sims pay is ridiculous. It's almost a fix in that respect, although the amount of energy the cappuccino-fix gives is maybe a little bit too much.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Apr 2018 at 12:31 AM
The disks usually contained a fix for bugs in the previous expansions. It's recommended that you test play between disk installations to make sure everything went ok.

There are some downloads that fix problems. The Living it Up litterbox, for example, fixed something that was left on the lot after your Sim played fetch with a dog. I have no idea where to find their stuff anymore.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 12:47 PM
arent most of the things from vanilla sims1 (along with many of the mods available from then) kept in the 'saving the sims' yahoogroups and similar yahoo groups?
i have an old yahoo email just for those groups, because they wouldnt allow you to sing up if you didnt have it (lol)
that was where i got all my C&C stuff after their site got hit by malware (that is still there to this day i think havent been back since i keep CDs with stuff on)
apart from woobsha (a must have for me because of their sinks with servers/cleaners, and the pirate stuff) i have had some great stuff from simlogical and parsimonious. but i have been collecting for a decade or so (lol, wow so LONG now) so i have/had a lot of things from sites that are now dead, and i cant remember where to get them