Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business
Default constantly crashing game
:confused: I have a very frustrating problem. My game has always crashed midgame, but very rarely. Suddenly it keeps crashing over and over. I can't play the game without it crashing every 5 minutes (literally). I freezes up and I get device error. Why is this? please help! I am gettint ready to add RAM to my computer. hoping this may help, though I worry its my video card. its fully updated as far as it can go, but its the device that seems to crash.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Turtle Turtle!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:14 AM
By the way, I run on windows XP. My computer is a Sony VAIO.
Totaly Physical memory is 512MB,
available physical memory is 78 MB
Total Virtual Mem 1.47 GB
avail. virt. memory 871.91

Part of my problem is that I've partitioned the drive. My sims game is on drive C and not much space is left available on this drive. is there a way to take space from my partition and add it back to this one? -- did that make any sense even?
Scholar
#3 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:14 AM Last edited by teresa7159 : 14th Jun 2005 at 4:21 AM.
What are your computer specs. One thing you may want to check for, is overheating. This can cause crashing and freezing. It sill sometimes say you video something or other has failed. Can't remeber exactly what it says. I play on a laptop and this is what was happening when mine overheated.

Is this a laptop, if so getting a cooling pad for it will solve the freezing problem, well it did for mine.

I don't know about the other part of your question. The only thing I know is you can move your game to a bigger part of your harddrive, by relocating the my documents folder. Read here http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=53400

Teresa
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:17 AM
I doubt that the ram is the problem on your computer, I know people who use the sims 2 with even less ram. More ram would probably improve the overall gaming experience though.

What is the error exactly?

What video card do you have?

By partitioning the drive do you mean that you have allocated like 10 gb to user "A" and another 10gb or so to user "B".....?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:19 AM
I do play on a laptop, but I don't know how I would fix it? It only has started this recently, with crashing after 5 minutes of play. I get a device error of my video card every single time, and my computer goes into the safe mode colours, and huge interface graphics
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:19 AM
The huge interface graphics are because of your resoloutuion, what resoloution are you running sims 2 in?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eddie
I doubt that the ram is the problem on your computer, I know people who use the sims 2 with even less ram. More ram would probably improve the overall gaming experience though.

What is the error exactly?

What video card do you have?

By partitioning the drive do you mean that you have allocated like 10 gb to user "A" and another 10gb or so to user "B".....?

I partitioned the drive, and made a partition "d". I am the only user on this computer... It didn't partition evenly either I don't think. I keep all my pictures and some programs on partition D, to keep room open for TS2 but thus far I'm still low on space, something like 7% or so is left.

Turtle Turtle!
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:21 AM
I doubt it's your video card, if you can play for five minutes on your video card, then it aint that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:22 AM
The huge interface graphics are because of your resoloutuion, what resoloution are you running sims 2 in?

It only does that once the game has crashed. it seems to go into safe mode.

I'm not sure what resolution I run in. How might I check?

Turtle Turtle!
Test Subject
#10 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:22 AM
what size is your harddrive?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:24 AM
I just looked, and Local Disk C only has 13.9 GB where as Local Disk D has 55.5 GB. .97 GB is left on C, and 54.4 GB is available on D. If I could just snatch some of the space back..
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:23 AM
The resoloution doesn't matter that much (makes images larger). I don't see how it could be going into safe mode like that, how do you know it is?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:27 AM
Well, its not really safe mode, but it mimics it, graphic wise. Everything goes huge. Its not like that before the game crashes, but once the crash has happened and I get the device error, it kicks me into the desktop, which is about twice as big icon wise.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:30 AM
That and my colours go down to about 16 bit. I usually keep it at 32 bit. *grumble* I shut down all but explore and tskmgr before playing hoping that will help, but thus far it hasnt

Side note: My Video card is a Radeon IGP 345M
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:30 AM
You must be running 1024*768 normal resoloution. Smaller icons, your game must be running 800*600 and then creahing and not automatically defaulting to your normal resoloution. Taht is why the icons are larger
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:33 AM
is this why my video card crashes? It only goes into huge graphics after my game has crashed and shut itself down. also when this happens, my fan starts going and gets quite loud.
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:32 AM
I'm not sure how to allocate more space on a partitioned drive as my own isn't partitioned. I googled the net and didn't find anything useful or in system help and support. Eddie
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:34 AM
Mine to, my game always crash every 3 menutes. But my problem is, i download ot many gameplay hack from download site. SOme of them doesnt match with another.
And now i have to start install it all over again.
Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:34 AM
I don't think your video card really is the problem. With your fan going quite loud this could be the proble 'teresa7159" said earlier that it may be overheating, that could be whats happening
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bobvhan
Mine to, my game always crash every 3 menutes. But my problem is, i download ot many gameplay hack from download site. SOme of them doesnt match with another.
And now i have to start install it all over again.

if its a hack problem, just remove your downloads that are hacks. at the top MTS2 homepage is Sims2pack Clean Installer. It highlights your hacks and gives you the options of deleting them from your game. You may want to try that first.

Turtle Turtle!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:37 AM
I don't think your video card really is the problem. With your fan going quite loud this could be the proble 'teresa7159" said earlier that it may be overheating, that could be whats happening
hm, I wonder how to stop that. I think I'll have a diagnostic evaluation done on it at the comp store and see if they can't help. After I back up sims, of course. *grumble* so frustrating! I want to play my game! Why would it start overheating now? when it never did like this before?

Turtle Turtle!
Test Subject
#22 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:37 AM
DON"T RENINSTALL YET bobvhand.
Just remove all bad hacks and downloads from your sims 2 downloads folder. The folder is found in My Documents/ Ea Games/ Sims 2/ Downloads
If nessecary sut those files and paste in another folder on your desktop. load up your sims 2 and see if it will work without possibly causing problem hacks and downloads.
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:38 AM
I really have no idea, lol.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:45 AM
I really have no idea, lol.

LOL well, thanks anyway! Gave me ideas, I haven't really thought about overheating. Maybe someone else will read this thread and have some answers. Leave it to me to have probs like this.

Turtle Turtle!
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#25 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:44 AM
My computer used to freeze up and need rebooting every time I played Sims 2 until recently. The only thing I do differently now... as far as I'm aware, anyway... is that I let the game load properly. When the Neighborhoods screen first appears, DON'T try to load your neighborhood yet. Wait until the CPU light stops flashing and the drive is quiet. When it seems like it's done, wait some more.... it'll start up again for round 2. After the CPU has been calm for a few minutes (no light, no noise) that's when it's time to load your neighborhood. Let the neighborhood load fully too before loading your lot. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it sure seems to work for me. It's worth a shot anyway. The trick is to be very patient.... or to surf MTS2 while you wait. Ooh! My game just finished loading! Bye! :nana:
Page 1 of 3