Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 2:38 PM Last edited by Aaron4Ever : 4th Jul 2015 at 6:18 PM.
Default S4PE: Cannot Install
I've currently got S3PE on my computer, so Sims 4 .package files are slapped with S3PE, so because I may want to take a look at what's inside the hypothetical box, I tried downloading S4PE.

Clicked download for .zip. Moved or deleted.
Clicked download for .exe. Moved or deleted.

The problem is, somewhere I will want to use S4PE, but because of this issue I have, I cannot use it. I am running on Windows 8.1, and I only have base game, that holiday one and GTW on for TS4. Is there any way I can download S4PE?

And am I in the wrong place?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 2:42 PM
Where did you try to download it from? The official distro https://github.com/Kuree/Sims4Tools/releases seems to work fine.

Also, you should probably unpack it with 7zip, not WinZIP or whatever. github used to have issues with that (not sure whether it works better meanwhile).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 4:17 PM
You do need to unpack s4pe with 7zip - if you use another unzip tool, such as the one that's built into Windows, it messes up s4pe's code for some reason and then it won't work properly. Download 7zip here: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 5:23 PM
The registry stores file endings against the application. Unfortunately since both TS2,3,and4 packages are all called .package, they will all show as either SimPe, S3PE or s4pe files, not a mixture. What you could do is instead of double clicking the .package to open it, instead open s4pe first then use File|Open to open your package.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 6:08 PM Last edited by Aaron4Ever : 4th Jul 2015 at 6:18 PM.
HEY GUYS I FIXED IT
I needed to SAVE it, not open it.
EDIT: MORE PROBLEMS: Like with S2PE, I cannot launch from the shortcut, only the WinRAR .exe. And when I look in files, it's apparently null and a small wall of text.
Scholar
#6 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
HEY GUYS I FIXED IT
I needed to SAVE it, not open it.
EDIT: MORE PROBLEMS: Like with S2PE, I cannot launch from the shortcut, only the WinRAR .exe. And when I look in files, it's apparently null and a small wall of text.

I saved the zip file to a separate folder on my desktop that i named S4PE; i unzipped it by right clicking and using 7zip. when i want to use it, i go into the file, and double-click the .exe or you can right click and choose open or run as administrator. after it opens, click file then open, then find the file you want to look at. do not try to use the shortcut.
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
You do need to unpack s4pe with 7zip - if you use another unzip tool, such as the one that's built into Windows, it messes up s4pe's code for some reason and then it won't work properly. Download 7zip here: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

I use WinZIP for everything and I never had any problems unpacking S4PE..... Just so people know.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 11:22 AM Last edited by Esmeralda : 5th Jul 2015 at 6:56 PM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by mummy_001
I use WinZIP for everything and I never had any problems unpacking S4PE..... Just so people know.

Yes, you will have no problems unpacking it, but it doesn't function properly after doing so. You will have problems such as your Grid being greyed out or your IMGs not previewing. If this is not the case for you, that's interesting.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 11:42 AM
@Aaron4Ever - you can't use WinRAR to extract the files or do anything with the S4PE download. If that's what you mean that is, and you were already told what to use in an earlier post.
Banned
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@Aaron4Ever - you can't use WinRAR to extract the files or do anything with the S4PE download. If that's what you mean that is, and you were already told what to use in an earlier post.

Didn't extract the files, so I left it as an archive on my desktop, which means I have to use the .exe application, which I swear is broken.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 1:19 PM
@Aaron4Ever Please just download 7zip and unzip s4pe with it, as mentioned earlier, and then s4pe will work. It really is that easy.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 1:21 PM
What exactly are you doing with the download?
You need to use 7zip to actually download S4PE. Then you need to make a folder for S4PE and extract the files from the archive into that folder. You can't run S4PE from the archive at all.
If that -is- what you're doing and I'm just not getting it ... then I need to take a nap.
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 4:22 PM
So this was what I was doing wrong all along? Damn me. When I get the chance, I will install it, and sort it out for good. (Hopefully)
And I thought I was good at computers.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 6:11 PM
Also moving to Create > Tools. What was this doing in Game Help anyway?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.