Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:32 AM
Default Fog emitter effects on uploaded/downloaded lots
I work on a nightclub community lot lately and I would like to use several fog emitter balls (from buydebug) to create special effects inside. I'm also thinking about uploading it, but I have no experience how fog emitters behave on uploaded then downloaded lots:
- according to fog emitter expert SimEve (who made the emitter animations videos on YouTube), emitter effects can be shared, so the script and the visual of the effect stays the same on downloaded and installed lots just as they are on the original build - is it still true now, in 2017?
- how laggy are they? Is it a no-no to use more than one fog emitter on an uploaded community lot (with continous effects) because they slow down the game? How many emitters are too many (considering lag)?
- do they have any other disadvantages / issues that you know about?
Thank you!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 23rd May 2017 at 9:54 AM
I have used them a lot, but people seldom complain.

You have to be aware that the blue fogemitter balls are not the same as the square white ones. I suddenly forgot the name, but they are white and square with insects and butterflies. They trend to multiply if the downloader turn the lot around on placing it.

The blue balls has no such disadvantages to my knowledge.

I do believe though that it pays to be careful, the lot will probably lag if you put them all over.

When you google for å scriptlist be aware that they depend on your expansions. If you have them all, you probably have several hundreds more to choose from than the guy with only basegame.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2017 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I have used them a lot, but people seldom complain.

You have to be aware that the blue fogemitter balls are not the same as the square white ones. I suddenly forgot the name, but they are white and square with insects and butterflies. They trend to multiply if the downloader turn the lot around on placing it.

The blue balls has no such disadvantages to my knowledge.

I do believe though that it pays to be careful, the lot will probably lag if you put them all over.

When you google for å scriptlist be aware that they depend on your expansions. If you have them all, you probably have several hundreds more to choose from than the guy with only basegame.

Thank you! yes, I meant the blue-ish balls. I'll go on with my experiments then and limit their number to an economical quantity.
Scholar
#4 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:12 AM
It was always my experience that the fog emitters on lots in a custom world/neighborhood keep whatever effect they have been programmed with IF the player opens the world, saves the world, and then plays the save. I'm not sure what happens if a fog emitter is uploaded with a lot. It would be helpful for someone to test this. I'll try to when I get a chance. Or, floraflora2, it would be very helpful if you'd post how it worked out for you. Looking forward to seeing another of your wonderful lots!
dodgy builder
#5 Old 24th May 2017 at 10:31 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 24th May 2017 at 11:01 AM.
I have made and uploaded several lots where fogemitters was the main attraction. It would be odd if no one said anything if it didn't work. I believe I have also downloaded lots where others has used fogemitter, or even installed my own lots at a later date.

I have also seen others upload lots here on mts using fogemitters a lot.

I remember I made a fountain of several levels with cfe and fogemitters, because several levels is very hard to do. I believe reinstalled it just to test if it behaved the way it should.

What about this one?
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/1093838

I challenge anyone to remake that fountain, it was a pain in the butt!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 25th May 2017 at 3:49 AM
Hi Floraflora2!
Yes, lots with fog emitters can be downloaded and the effects remain when installed.

As always with this game, excess use can cause lag. How many is too many depends on the person's computer specs.

I would make a note on the download info that fog emitters are used. Some people seem to dislike them, but they are easy to delete if not wanted. I have also seen people say something like, "If you experience lag, delete fog emitter 1, 3, and 6 to preserve most of the effects while minimizing lag".

Good luck- looking forward to seeing it!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#7 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:48 AM
The fountain effects is probably the most used, but I have seen adventure type lots, and tombs with fireeffects or grunge effects with hazardous substances with fire, smell or smoke effects as well.

There is a long time since I did the wa tombs, but those effects must have been made with fogemitters.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:47 AM
Thanks to you all for the useful info, from now on I'll be less chicken to use them! I intend to use electricity / lightning effects inside a modern nightclub, if it looks good enough by my standards, I'm going to upload it.