Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 1:51 PM
Default Movies and TV shows that are guilty pleasures, you have any?
Are there any movies or TV shows that you find yourself going back to despite the fact that you know they are far from perfect and somewhere in your head you know they are bad? It's odd because I hate bad movies and Tv and yet every once in a while there are a few films and TV shows I find myself returning to despite the fact that I know they are bad.

On the Tv front I have to say 24. I know the plots never made any sense and it bugs me that they always shied away from using real full blown terrorists as the villain, they were always being framed or pawns in some larger plot when in real life terrorist may be the modern day Nazis and given the way they treat woman it would be nice to see a show about terrorism show the full horror of what these people do. I also don't see why in later seasons no one ever believes Jack when he tells them there is a threat out there, but darn it the action is done so well and Jack is like the perfect mix of the old style John Wayne type action hero and today's more interospective action hero. So every once in a while I find myself pulling out my DvDs and watching the show, I just have to fast forward through any scene that features Kim, even I have my limits. Why couldn't she have been killed along with her mother at the end of season 1?

Castle. I knew this show was going to turn into a chick flick the first time I saw the pilot, but I was such a big fan of firefly I had to give it a shot and the cast was good and some of the writing was clever and funny, and to my surprise I ended up caring about the character relationships, this season has wrecked all that and I now can't stand the show but I used to look forward to it every week. To me it reminded me of a modern day take on The Thin Man films and those are some of my favorites of all time, too bad they couldn't have ended the show with season seven. The show had problems before then but season seven felt like the perfect end point and now this season made the rest feel pointless. Still it was a fun show as long as I stayed away from the stupid plot arc related episodes and as a guy I was kind of ashamed to admit it was a show I looked forward to every week, but I ended up enjoying most episodes.

Forever. Normally what a rip off this was of Highlander would have me hating this show but like Chuck did with North by Northwest and the James Bond movies, the writers put enough of their own spin on it that I really enjoyed it and I really liked the characters so I was sad when it got canceled after one season because ABC put it on in the worst time slot they could. It may bot be for most people and I have yet to meet another person who liked it but I enjoyed it for the characters and actors and I thought they wrote Henry really well and loved the flash back scenes. I don't know maybe I am just a sucker for murder mystery shows with a twist.

The Hobbit movies. I know they don't follow the books and they are over long and have problems but I love Peter Jackson's version of Middle Earth so much I enjoy these movies and own their extended cuts on Blu ray. I know they are not as good as the Lord of the Rings movies, but I find myself enjoying them just as much, if that makes any sense.

The A-Team(TV show). I didn't grow up with this show so there is no nostalgia here and each episode is pretty much the same but for some reason every once in a while I enjoy watching it. It's a fun little piece of 80s cheese and while it may not be that good, well I have fun watching it, maybe because the cast seems to have fun making in it and that comes through onscreen.

The First two Fantastic Four movies from the 2000s. This is a hard one to explain because whenever anyone asks me why I like them I can't come up with an answer. Everyone hates them and everyone has pointed out the millions of flaws they have and I can not disagree. What is more I never read the comics much as a kid so I can't even claim to care about the characters that much and yet when I am in the right mood I enjoy them both. The only answer I can come up with as to why I enjoy they is that apart from Alba I like the casting and think the actors work well together and in a world where ever super hero movie is trying to out dark the others and set up sequels these seem to stand alone in their Super heroes as a family sit com take and each movie being it's own stand alone story that only leave room for sequels but doesn't directly set them up, it also helps that they are less them three hours long like most films these days. That still doesn't excuse their many flaws and I know they are bad movies but for some reason I enjoy them enough to own them on Bluray and watch them every once in a while.

Well that is enough from me for now, what about you? Do you have any guilty pleasures that you would like to fess up to?

This may be the most pointless thread on the forum but thanks for reading any way.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 2:44 PM
MacGyver. And Murder She Wrote.

They look so bad (image quality wise) and the hair and fashions are awful, but....

Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 3:54 PM
MacGyver is another one for me. RDA really makes that show for me no matter how silly the episode is, he somehow makes it watchable by having a sense of humor about it all. I am not looking forward to the remake, to me it was a product of it's time and paper it shouldn't work so there is no way to match the charm of something when I am not 100% sure why the original works in the first place.

I have only ever seen a few episodes of Murder she wrote but it always seemed like a harmless light mystery series to and the sort of thing I would enjoy when I am feeling depressed and just want something light to watch. Did you know it was originally going to be a Ms. Marple series? I don't have all the details but it seems the producers lost the rights at the last moment so they had to make up their own Ms. Marple like character on the fly. Given that it lasted so long I say good job on their part, I wouldn't have wanted the job of having to fix that problem on short notice.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 4:36 PM
Ash vs Evil Dead. That tv show is freaking dumb...but well :sigh: I like it
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 7:56 PM
I didn't even know there was a Tv show.

Now I must see it!

Thanks for letting me know this exists.

My PC specs.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 4:46 PM
Clueless and Legally blonde are two of my favourite movies.
Theorist
#7 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 5:33 PM
Big Brother
Survivor
The Amazing Race

People seem to think reality TV is the lowest common denominator for the uncouth, but I love it. Well, at least those 3, with Amazing Race being my favorite because I enjoy traveling the world vicariously through the attractive Hollywood wannabes they always cast on these shows since I myself am too chicken to fly.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#8 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 10:41 PM
South Park, My Name Is Earl, Total Wipeout(UK), The A Team, Malcolm in the Middle, Catfish(?), Chucklevision, Basil Brush

Triple X, Demons Never Die, Scream, The Emperor's New Groove, Spiderman 1
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 25th Dec 2015 at 12:33 AM
Sucker Punch. Enough said.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 2:39 AM
Oh can't believe I forgot this, I enjoy all three of the Mummy movies for the silly fun they are and I think the last Mummy movie was better then the last Indy movie. I know I am alone in this but what can I say? I like goofy 30s style stuff.

My PC specs.
#11 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 10:32 PM
I love those shows where someone goes into a business and yells at the owner until stuff gets done. Stuff like Hell's Kitchen, Restaurant Impossible (though there's less yelling in that one), stuff in that vein.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Oct 2016 at 10:05 PM
QI, the BBC version of Top Gear, and the various BBC comedy talk shows. I have probably watched all the episodes of QI and several of the others, but whenever there's nothing else on TV, I tend to turn over to the BBC channel and watch whatever is on.

Various daytime shows and re-runs like MacGyver, Friends, re-runs of Big Bang Theory, Malcolm in the Middle, and similar. Pretty much anything that's funny or brings some nostalgia.

Star Trek Voyager, and (lately) most of the other Star Trek series. I had a thing for Voyager when I was younger, so even though a lot of people seem to think it's the worst of the series (in my opinion the worst is the original series), I don't. Probably just the nostalgia thing...

Nearly everything medical-related, be it drama series or real-life ones, or even non-medical shows with medical-related scenes in them. Although I was never much fond of Scrubs, if there's nothing else on I might even watch that one. I'll even happily watch the cheesy and obviously medically flawed scenes in series where the writers or directors obviously have no clue what they're doing and have seen way too many flawed scenes themselves. It's just a weird obsession, I guess...

I also have a thing for all the sci-fi, fantasy and superhero series running nowadays. Never really bothered much with the police shows or murder mysteries or whatnots, unless it's got things like magic, werewolves, superheroes or any other fantasy element in them.

Regarding movies, my guilty pleasure there has to be 3D animation movies (Pixar, Dreamworks, and similar). Cute and funny characters, lots of humor, bright colors, and good voice actors - and I'm sold, no matter if the stories keep recycling over and over again. I think at least 1/3 of my DVD movies are in this category. I'm not as fond of the drawn ones, but I do like some of those, too.
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 1:41 PM
My Guilty Pleasure would be 'Masters of Sex' Tv show airing on Showtime. I have seen every episode, inch by inch. see how Masters and Johnson story developed and took its course over a span of 3 decades. With this new season 4 in the offing where Masters and Johnson have already called quits on each-other and Fate tries to unite them again. Certainly hoping it goes for one of the best television productions of all time. A real revolutionary TV Series like their book, and you guys want to check previous seasons too? well here you can watch http://www.couchtuner.site/
Inventor
#14 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

Various daytime shows and re-runs like MacGyver, Friends, re-runs of Big Bang Theory, Malcolm in the Middle, and similar. Pretty much anything that's funny or brings some nostalgia.

I love daytime reruns and anything that brings nostalgia too. I Love Lucy is my favorite show, but I also like The Golden Girls. I used to love Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, The Munsters, The Addams Family, and I Dream of Jeannie. I hate they don't come on anymore.

I'm not embarrased or ashamed to say that I'll never outgrow my love of The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or 3 Ninjas.

I just saw where simmer22 said she like Dreamworks and Pixar movies. She must have been reading my mind or something when she typed that whole paragraph, because I'm exactly the same way.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 9:55 PM
The Office (U.S. Version) it's got that sort of British humor even though it is written for American audiences. I guess Mr. Gervais had more control than he let on.

The gag when Jim encases Dwight's stapler and Michael's mug in gelatin does make wonder...how does one get Office supplies suspended in Gelatin without letting on something is up?

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Instructor
#16 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 6:14 AM
Desperate Housewives and Devious Maids! Extremely cheesy and soapy.