Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#51 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:27 PM
I did what you said and it's disabled the dedicated GPU completely. The Sims 4 device log changed as well... The texture memory is at 1gb now rather than the 3gb. Also, the option for switchable graphics have gone when I right click the desktop. Looks like a ring up for AMD tomorrow then.... I'm getting tired of this now.... Look at zip for further pictures.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Sims4UMA.zip (33.3 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
So unfortunately the UMA only disables the integrated? That's really misleading when they said in the description to "choose" your GPU.

Man, hope things work out. Unfortunately, from my googling, a lot of people with this issue never got it resolved.

I saw something about someone needing to have their motherboard replaced because of this problem. Although I don't think it'll need to come to that because Minecraft is using it no problems, so I'm thinking its a possible software issue. (Fingers crossed!). If I ever find a fix. I'll post here and let people know.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#54 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:33 PM
Spent around 3 hours today arguing with AMD and Lenovo. Lenovo says that apparently my model of laptop should never of had a dedicated GPU and my laptop was tampered around with, hence the reason why the switchable graphics doesn't work properly. However I argued and said "Why say this laptop wasn't supposed to have switchable graphics or 2 GPUs if there's an option for it in BIOS". AMD says that if the GPU isn't supposed to be in the laptop then there's a chance that there might not even be a fix for it which will render the GPU useless. I truly reckon it's to do with OpenGL. Google Chrome also runs fine on the dedicated GPU, I even told both companies that it's something to do with OpenGL and they just ignore me.

Lenovo now wants me laptop to go over for repairs.... But if they sorted their flipping software out properly then it wouldn't need to go back. Retailers shown here:
https://www.tesco.com/direct/lenovo...d?source=others
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/leno...kuk/version.asp
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-B5...b0AAOSwyjBW4UVy
All of these websites show MY laptop with a dedicated GPU. DEDICATED?! Lenovo is saying my laptop has been played with by someone when other laptops like mine are fitted with the same things.... Anyways.... My rant over.

It was just an update!
Instructor
#55 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rocketman
... hence the reason why the switchable graphics doesn't work properly. However I argued and said "Why say this laptop wasn't supposed to have switchable graphics or 2 GPUs if there's an option for it in BIOS". AMD says that if the GPU isn't supposed to be in the laptop then there's a chance that there might not even be a fix for it which will render the GPU useless.

Ok this is just my opinion and analysis about your AMD Lenovo, I'm not trying to defend Lenovo or anybody or anything.., because my laptop also Lenovo (Thinkpad E330 Model) but it's an Intel and Nvidia dual system gpus, but if that's what they said and that also to conclude that your dual switchable gpus system is not working because it won't switch especially for TS3 (let's focus on TS3 and put aside another game on this subject for now), I'd say the customer service that was talking to you.. don't really know what their saying with they said that "it which will render the GPU useless", which of course your dedicated M230 in this case.

Now to the OP if you doubt that your M230 is not running or automatically switching when needed to be precise, we can double check and even triple check to make sure it's switching as is suppose to, because if it isn't, (1) your Win 10 OS will disabled it automatically in the 1st place for some reasons, (2) to double check, you can see it in your Device Manger >> Display Adapters and right click on both of your gpus to open its properties windows for each gpu, in "General" tab you'll see that your device status is working properly, so from Win OS side perspective side, it saying the opposite from what the customer service was telling you, because if they were correct.. one of the two will be automatically disabled, for this purpose I also attached pic from my Lenovo E330.

Now.. (3) to triple check that it is switching to your M230 and your M230 run well as is suppose to for TS3, as you see in the pic I attached, you see in the red boxes that the 4 digits devices IDs for my Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT610M are also there, this mean both of device IDs are registered in my Win registry, and you can do the same in your laptop to see it that both of your device IDs are also there, so it confirms that from Win OS perspective that both are working properly.

Now to interpret this to TS3, you now understand that in order TS3 to be able utilize and run one of your gpus, one of the two of your device IDs need to placed in your GraphicCards.sgr, otherwise TS3 will report to you in TS3 DeviceConfig Found 0 Matched 0 with your primary device ID even if you didn't put any of your device ID in the GraphicCards.sgr, and why is that? Because TS3 followed what it was registered in the Win registry, so what happened when you haven't placed any device ID there, the one that will be reported in DeviceConfig is your primary gpu, so when you put your primary device ID as it was the case earlier, it confirms that your primary gpu that was working at that time.

So because TS3 game engine or program was designed prior to this switchable laptop model era so it's not automatically compatible for your AMD Catalyst software to switch it, you need to remove your primary device ID with your dedicated device ID, and when you finally placed your dedicated device ID there, it confirms that you tell TS3 to use the second device as you remove the primary one, and if the secondary failed to work or render to be precise, your TS3 will failed to load or maybe even crashed.

So if after you placed 666F and your TS3 failed to load or crashed, that would confirm what the customer service was saying to you, but if this not be the case, then what they saying is not true.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 4:57 PM
I think it has something to do with DirectX. Is Sims 3 run by DirectX? If you look in switchable settings, it says at the top that programs using DirectX 12 will not effect them at all. So if you want a program to run on a certain GPU that's made from DirectX.... Bad luck. This is just an observation though.... Still don't understand why my computer has to go back though....
Instructor
#58 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 6:07 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 12th Jun 2017 at 6:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by rocketman
I think it has something to do with DirectX. Is Sims 3 run by DirectX? If you look in switchable settings, it says at the top that programs using DirectX 12 will not effect them at all. So if you want a program to run on a certain GPU that's made from DirectX.... Bad luck. This is just an observation though.... Still don't understand why my computer has to go back though....

No it has not something to do with DirectX, DirectX 12 means that your graphic device supports up to its latest version which is version 12, TS3 is not DirectX 12 gaming program like newer/today's games, and to be able to run DirectX 12 games, you'll need to have the card that support it and Windows 10 as your OS. If your game wasn't build for DirectX 12 then there's no DirectX 12 in your game, TS3 was build on Win XP generation, TS3 was based on DirectX 9c if I remember it correctly, so even your graphic device supports up to DirectX12 and your Win OS is Win 10, the latest DirectX version running for TS3 is Directx 9c, but anyway it doesn't have anything to do with your dual switchable gpus feature. DirectX is not different from OpenCL, CUDA, PhysX, and DirectCompute, they are just computing methodology like instructions inside your processor chip, the newer the processor, the newer the instructions also added to the newer processor chip.

If you still have any doubt that perhaps your TS3 is not running on your secondary (dedicated M230) gpu, go check in your DeviceConfig after you placed your 666F device ID replacing one from the one that already listed in your GraphicCards.sgr and do test run at least once, if you see 666F as your device ID in your DeviceConfig then TS3 is telling you that it is 666F (M230) that was run in the last game you just run, if it says it was other device ID than 666F, that means TS3 is telling you it was using other than your 666F or your M230 in the last run, you only have two device IDs 9851 for your primary and 666F secondary, it's either one of them, and don't put them both in GraphicCards.sgr.

Somebody else that was also not sure about which GPU that actually running in TS3 already asked about the same subject here , and that's why I posted my screenshot above as an example how to check them in Win OS and how to interpret it to TS3 in particular.

PS: (Edited) no your computer doesn't need to go back to Lenovo, the customer service has misled you, unless after you put your 666F device ID into GraphicCards.sgr and then TS3 failed to load, then it may need to go back and claim your replacement, if you send them back to have a look, they'll check everything but in general way, not specifically just for TS3, when they see nothing wrong and send your laptop back, then you're back at the square one again..lol, for the technical person at Lenovo to understand specifically what happened when TS3 is being run as you claimed the dedicated gpu is not working for TS3, that technical person also has to understand how TS3 works to fit in the newer graphics generation computer, if the technical person don't even play TS3, how the guy would know? So if you insist to send your computer for them to take a look, make sure you also asked, please send the computer to be check with the technical guy who also play TS3 like you..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#59 Old 8th Jul 2017 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
No it has not something to do with DirectX, DirectX 12 means that your graphic device supports up to its latest version which is version 12, TS3 is not DirectX 12 gaming program like newer/today's games, and to be able to run DirectX 12 games, you'll need to have the card that support it and Windows 10 as your OS. If your game wasn't build for DirectX 12 then there's no DirectX 12 in your game, TS3 was build on Win XP generation, TS3 was based on DirectX 9c if I remember it correctly, so even your graphic device supports up to DirectX12 and your Win OS is Win 10, the latest DirectX version running for TS3 is Directx 9c, but anyway it doesn't have anything to do with your dual switchable gpus feature. DirectX is not different from OpenCL, CUDA, PhysX, and DirectCompute, they are just computing methodology like instructions inside your processor chip, the newer the processor, the newer the instructions also added to the newer processor chip.

If you still have any doubt that perhaps your TS3 is not running on your secondary (dedicated M230) gpu, go check in your DeviceConfig after you placed your 666F device ID replacing one from the one that already listed in your GraphicCards.sgr and do test run at least once, if you see 666F as your device ID in your DeviceConfig then TS3 is telling you that it is 666F (M230) that was run in the last game you just run, if it says it was other device ID than 666F, that means TS3 is telling you it was using other than your 666F or your M230 in the last run, you only have two device IDs 9851 for your primary and 666F secondary, it's either one of them, and don't put them both in GraphicCards.sgr.

Somebody else that was also not sure about which GPU that actually running in TS3 already asked about the same subject here , and that's why I posted my screenshot above as an example how to check them in Win OS and how to interpret it to TS3 in particular.

PS: (Edited) no your computer doesn't need to go back to Lenovo, the customer service has misled you, unless after you put your 666F device ID into GraphicCards.sgr and then TS3 failed to load, then it may need to go back and claim your replacement, if you send them back to have a look, they'll check everything but in general way, not specifically just for TS3, when they see nothing wrong and send your laptop back, then you're back at the square one again..lol, for the technical person at Lenovo to understand specifically what happened when TS3 is being run as you claimed the dedicated gpu is not working for TS3, that technical person also has to understand how TS3 works to fit in the newer graphics generation computer, if the technical person don't even play TS3, how the guy would know? So if you insist to send your computer for them to take a look, make sure you also asked, please send the computer to be check with the technical guy who also play TS3 like you..

But this isn't just happening with Sims 3.... It's GTA, Harry Potter... And game I basically play. The laptop was supposed to be sent back last week and they still haven't come to collect it. I don't think it's just The Sims 3 that's the issue....
Page 3 of 3