Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 6:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Looking for FPS Limiter for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Hi, all.

I have Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and my Sims 3 game is updated to 1.69. I am looking to limit my FPS to 30 or so to help my game run faster. It has a habit of crashing on occasion and my computer gets quite loud when I've been playing for too long. I checked the game's current FPS and it runs between 80-100 most of the time.

I have attempted to use FPSLimiter, but I found out that it doesn't work after 1.69 so I tried using Rivatuner Statistics Server, which doesn't work on my computer, and later MSI Afterburner, which also doesn't work on my computer.

I would like to know if anyone has a solution.

Thank you.
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You don't really need FPS limiter for Intel HD. The high FPS you see are not "in-game" correct? You only see them during the idle loading screen. Intel HD is not really powerful, just turn up all your settings to high, you'll be lucky to play at 20 FPS. Also, in the Intel Control Panel, turn on V-sync and force triple buffering (if available). This will cap it nicely.

Thank you for your response!

The high FPS I saw was in-game when I was playing in Live Mode, so I think (I don't know for sure) my card is actually going at that speed.

As for your suggestion of turning the settings to high, will that make my game lag? I was hoping to decrease lag, so I hope not. I'll try it out.

I also have one further question: since my graphics card isn't very powerful, am I at risk of damaging it? Is that only an issue for high-end graphics cards, or do low-end ones suffer, too? I only learned about all this stuff a couple days ago.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2017 at 5:09 AM Last edited by pikeman101 : 30th Aug 2017 at 5:27 AM.
Of course, also use Intel's control panel to manually enable v-sync. This will almost always cap FPS in most circumstances.

Sorry! I forgot to add that. I don't know how to do that. I tried Googling it, but I couldn't find any concrete answer.

Should I choose "Application Settings" or "Driver Settings?" What about "Anisotropic Filtering?"

Also, here are my current graphics settings (before I turn them up):
- Reflection Quality: Off
- Edge Smoothing: Off
- Visual Effects: Low
- Lighting and Shadows: Low
- Tree Detail: Low
- Draw Distance: Medium
- High Detail Lots: 3
- Texture Detail: Medium
- Sim Detail: Very High

I have "Enable Object Hiding," "Enable Animation Smoothing," and "Enable Advanced Rendering" enabled.

I find this whole thing kind of hilarious. Splurging on pretty graphics can actually help my graphics card in some way.

Anyhow, what FPS should I actually aim for?

By the way, thank you for all your help!
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 3:28 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Everything was working passably for awhile, but now my game flickers when I try to play it.

It doesn't flicker in windowed mode, but in fullscreen mode the top 1/4 of the screen flickers any time the game isn't loading.

Additionally, I have no option of "On" for vertical sync, only "Application Settings" and "Driver Settings." Do you have any suggestions?
Instructor
#9 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 10:29 AM
It is unlikely your GPU will be damaged b/c your GPU is built into your CPU and the CPU has a pretty good safe guard. What damages GPU/CPU is heat, so if you have runaway FPS it means your GPU is being overpushed and it heats up.

Based on my old GTX280 that was damaged for playing TS3 without FPS Limiter, I just want to offer a 2nd opinion, I agreed that the Intel HD 4600 Haswell CPU/GPU is in safe guard with its proper cooling, and so did with my old GTX280's gpu, but the VRAM chips were damaged (fried), when it was still in my possession, the card still work and my computer were able to boot up normally, so my old GTX280 wasn't really dead, but it's lagging badly even just to browse the internet because some its VRAMs were damaged, so in the OP's case, I wouldn't worry about the Haswell CPU/GPU, but the OP may need to check the RAMs cooling as integrated graphics utilizes them as its VRAM.

The only problem is, TS3 1.69's launcher cannot be bypassed, therefore FPS limiter cannot be launched when the TS3 1.69 is launched.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 6:34 PM Last edited by pikeman101 : 28th Jan 2018 at 6:59 PM.
Since it has been a very long time, have you updated your Intel GPU driver since then?

Under Vertical Sync, I have "application setting" and "on." I would imagine "driver setting" would give you another option somewhere to turn it on or off.

1. Not to my knowledge. I haven't gone out of my way to update it. If it can update on its own, it may have.

2. I cannot find any option to turn it on.

Also, is is possible to downgrade from 1.69 and bypass the launcher that way?
Scholar
#11 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 7:19 PM
Intel's basic interface ( assuming you get there by RClick on the Desktop and selecting Display Properties or something similar) may be a bit confusing sometimes.

In the 3D settings you have VSync option on/off, do not ask me why not in the "General", please. It's "on" by default and refresh rate is set as quivalent to your display's device defaults.

With Intel HD you do not need FPS limiter technically, though it may be beneficial visually anyway (stable fps are usually better for eyes than spiking). Embedded GPU won't overheat like some real ones. It's temperature is managed the same way as the CPU's is.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
Intel's basic interface ( assuming you get there by RClick on the Desktop and selecting Display Properties or something similar) may be a bit confusing sometimes.

In the 3D settings you have VSync option on/off, do not ask me why not in the "General", please. It's "on" by default and refresh rate is set as quivalent to your display's device defaults.

With Intel HD you do not need FPS limiter technically, though it may be beneficial visually anyway (stable fps are usually better for eyes than spiking). Embedded GPU won't overheat like some real ones. It's temperature is managed the same way as the CPU's is.

Do you have any suggestions for what I can do to fix the flickering issue?
Scholar
#13 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 11:49 PM
It may be a drivers' issue, as Nitromon suggested. Does other DirectX 9c depended software has the same issues ? If so - DX9 is corrupted, it happens ocassionally).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
It may be a drivers' issue, as Nitromon suggested. Does other DirectX 9c depended software has the same issues ? If so - DX9 is corrupted, it happens ocassionally).

I don't know what that is, but I fixed the issue by increasing the graphics settings.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 3:17 AM
It is just unusual to get flicker or any issues to only part of the screen. That only happened to me when I updated my driver once, which was fixed when I downgraded it.

however, I can't really be sure b/c I'm just guessing what that flicker is. Do you have a photo or video of the problem? I mean, it could be tearing issues, which does have to do with the vsync and refresh rate. One time, my driver updated and the screen would literally "blink" every few seconds when I play.

While I don't have any software to record the issue, I can explain it a little better.

Basically, the top quarter of the screen has flickering where, in cases where there is one screen over another (eg. the Options screen over the save menu), part of the save menu will appear and part of the Options menu will appear, quickly switching to make a flicker.

I fixed it by simply increasing the graphics settings. I'm guessing that this slowed down the refresh rate and stopped this issue. A similar issue was occurring in "The Sims 4" and I fixed it by turning on VSync.