Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 10:56 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Why can't my Sims engineer a baby in the future in The Sims 3?
I read about this feature that allows same-sex couples to have their own child. Great! Family inventory is empty (World Adventures bug), they are married (same as previous), the household is not full, they are good to go. After arriving at Oasis Landing, I paused the game, clicked on the hospital/science lab, then on 'Create a baby with...' and both randomize DNA and Engineer a baby are grayed out! Someone had the same problem but that's been solved with buying a 'Home in the future'. So I did the same but both options are still grayed out.

Details:
  • Both sims are Young Adult females
  • they're married
  • they live in their own house instead of the Community center
  • their present household contains a young dog, a plumbot (or whatever is its English name) and both Sims. It isn't eight no matter how we count it.
  • tried with/out mods and with fewer CC (both my sims have custom skin tone - Lemonleaf_skin A2.5 or B2.5 Non Default)

Installed mods:
  • NRaas Decensor
  • NRaas Overwatch
  • NRaas MasterController (I was too lazy to remove it yet)
  • NRaas MasterController Cheats
  • [Sleepy-Genius]TaxiCharge
  • Arsil_Mangaka
  • Bludhound.ChangeAtHomeAfterWork
  • Simsmatthew_WarmBuffFix_Package
  • MTS_NileBlue_TVChannel_AniNation
  • No woohoo effects
  • NoBuildSparkles
  • nointromaxis
And a lot of CCs (mostly clothes and make-up).

So my questions are, why can't they do it and what can I do to make them able to do it?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 6:55 PM
Silly question I suppose, but do they have enough cash for this? The procedure costs §5,000.

The only other thing I have to offer is that NRaas Woohooer allows this procedure to happen on homeworld hospitals as well as the ITF ones. There was a bug at one point, don't know if it was from the mod or the game itself, where the procedure became unavailable for Romantic Interests in particular, but that's being fixed in v130, the currently in beta testing version of the mod, and doesn't seem relevant here as your sims are married.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Woohooer+Testing

Although it might change things up or at least give you a reason for the failure by mouse hovering over the greyed out action command (assuming you have no tooltip appearing there now?), it really shouldn't be necessary to have the mod for this to work in Oasis Landing if you don't want Woohooer for other reasons. But just a reminder that as you have MC and MC Cheats already, you can always use Instant Baby or Pollinate (to produce a pregnancy rather than a child) on any two sims if you want to do it that way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Silly question I suppose, but do they have enough cash for this? The procedure costs §5,000.

The only other thing I have to offer is that NRaas Woohooer allows this procedure to happen on homeworld hospitals as well as the ITF ones. There was a bug at one point, don't know if it was from the mod or the game itself, where the procedure became unavailable for Romantic Interests in particular, but that's being fixed in v130, the currently in beta testing version of the mod, and doesn't seem relevant here as your sims are married.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Woohooer+Testing

Although it might change things up or at least give you a reason for the failure by mouse hovering over the greyed out action command (assuming you have no tooltip appearing there now?), it really shouldn't be necessary to have the mod for this to work in Oasis Landing if you don't want Woohooer for other reasons. But just a reminder that as you have MC and MC Cheats already, you can always use Instant Baby or Pollinate (to produce a pregnancy rather than a child) on any two sims if you want to do it that way.

Yes, I have enough money. My sims have almost 3 million Simoleons, thanks to the lottery feature.
Yeah, I forgot to add the reason of the failure. Thanks for pointing that out.
The reason is (in rough translation), my sim doesn't have any friend in the future or doesn't know anyone at all to do it. My first reaction to this was a loud "WTF?! Why? Isn't marriage enough?" Or do I have to get them divorced, then married again but this time in Oasis Landing? Just because they've just married a few sim days ago!

I didn't know this can be done using Master Controller... Thanks for the info but I don't want to use that. Neither Woohooer. I had Woohooer but all I used it for were the 'Ask about age' and 'Ask about sexuality' interactions. However, I don't need those anymore since my sim is already married. But if I can't make it work, I'll use Master Controller/Woohooer to do it.

OFF
The funny thing is that her wife is an NPC I originally made for to be her friend -not her wife. What's even funnier, this NPC had a mother who started a romantic relationship with my sim's mother. She sent love letters and asked my older sim out for a date several times... I played the game few times with other families but I've never seen anything like this before... Usually, my sim starts a romantic relationship with someone else. And guess what! Both relationships started with the friendly interaction, 'Ask about zodiac sign'. It turned out that two-two of the four, randomly chosen zodiac signs got along well with each other...
ON
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 8:52 PM
Do the two sims have very high relationship scores towards each other, though? All the way in the green?

If so, this sounds like a different form of the same bug that Woohooer had with Romantic Interests. A spouse should be more than a friend if they actually like each other, but the failure report suggests that they must indeed really be friends, exactly that and not married, to make this work (which of course is silly). So without adding in more mods, you might consider using MC > Sim > Intermediate > Long Term Relationship by Category to reduce their long-term relationship status to Friends, do the genetic engineering thing if that becomes unlocked, and then MC to set them back to married again.

Not sure I would be willing to put them through all those relationship changes myself, though unless maybe the couple had only just very recently married as you said yours are. Of course, if this doesn't work or somehow goofs up their relationship then dump the game session without saving and send me hate mail.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 9:11 PM
Do the two sims have very high relationship scores towards each other, though? All the way in the green?

If so, this sounds like a different form of the same bug that Woohooer had with Romantic Interests. A spouse should be more than a friend if they actually like each other, but the failure report suggests that they must indeed really be friends, exactly that and not married, to make this work (which of course is silly). So without adding in more mods, you might consider using MC > Sim > Intermediate > Long Term Relationship by Category to reduce their long-term relationship status to Friends, do the genetic engineering thing if that becomes unlocked, and then MC to set them back to married again.

Not sure I would be willing to put them through all those relationship changes myself, though unless maybe the couple had only just very recently married as you said yours are. Of course, if this doesn't work or somehow goofs up their relationship then dump the game session without saving and send me hate mail.

Okay, I will try tomorrow (it's 10 pm here) and post the results. To answer your question, yes, 'all the way in the green'. On the relationship panel, there's ring below each other's name. If they're doing something with each other (like woohoo), the text below the reaction indicator (again in rough translation) is 'wife' for both of them.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 9:15 PM
That's almost exactly the backstory of my lesbian couple. Holly's a girl who's been making a name for herself in Bridgeport, but she doesn't have a lot of friends. So I make her a few, and end up playing with one of them; Amber. They might get along, I figure, but they end up getting along better than I'd expected. I'd never had a gay Sim before, let alone a same-sex couple, but Amber was pretty insistant on her feelings. Especially so considering I was still playing with Holly a lot of the time. But they wanted to be together, so I made it so. Now, five real-life years later, they're happily married and ready to maybe have some children.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 2:32 AM Last edited by igazor : 26th Oct 2017 at 9:48 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
When interactions are missing or greyed out, 9/10 times you have bad mods/cc

Yes, and 6/10 times it's the game just being its charming self.

Igazor, that adds up to 15 out of 10.

Yes, I know. You see, in the future world a committee was convened, a vote was taken, and base 10 math was deprecated in favor of...aww skip it.

But the more important thing, have you successfully had married same gender (or otherwise) couples engineer babies at the ITF hospital with or without mods or are others facing the same barrier with the same tooltip explanation on mouse hover if the two intended genetic donors are spouses rather than friends?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 10:46 AM
But the more important thing, have you successfully had married same gender (or otherwise) couples engineer babies at the ITF hospital with or without mods or are others facing the same barrier with the same tooltip explanation on mouse hover if the two intended genetic donors are spouses rather than friends?

Yeah, how about that control group? You can't be sure without a control group.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 12:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Everyone ignoring the obvious?

Did you try it in a clean run? When interactions are missing or greyed out, 9/10 times you have bad mods/cc

Like I said, both sims have custom skin tone. If memory serves, Xia Huang has Lemonleaf skin and Yurisha Iscandar has eSkin Natural. But despite these two, I temporarily removed everything else, including NRaas Overwatch and MasterController(Cheats).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 1:48 PM

Nope, it didn't help. I changed their relationship to friends → good friends → best friends → friends forever → back to married. No matter what it was, the options remained grayed out. Again because my sim doesn't have any friends or doesn't know anyone at all.
Another thing I noticed, the romantic interactions were completely missing. The only available romantic interaction was 'take a romantic selfie'. How didn't I notice this before?!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lesbara1
Another thing I noticed, the romantic interactions were completely missing. The only available romantic interaction was 'take a romantic selfie'. How didn't I notice this before?!

I've heard of that before. Just a wild guess, but could it be that the game has accidentally marked them as family; related? If so, they obviously won't be able to perform actions of a romantic nature. I've had this happen before.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 3:56 PM Last edited by igazor : 26th Oct 2017 at 4:45 PM.
Now we're in different territory. The only way I know of that this lack of romance menu thing happens, and what to do to fix it, is when Woohooer by mod option is linked to StoryProgression. But as you have neither mod, it's obviously not the same issue. You are certain that in the context of Oasis, both sims are YAs and neither one is a teen?

As for what Grijze suggests as the cause, okay but what's the solution? Revert play to back home and try again? Maybe this is one of the things that NRaas Traveler (together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap) silently prevents from happening upon travel, which is why I don't recognize it.

Edit: Wait a minute. Think I've got it, and this might actually be intended game behavior. Your two sims' mothers are having a relationship, correct? How far has this relationship progressed back home? I bet the game is suddenly seeing these two sims as stepsisters for some purposes while still married for others.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 5:15 PM
Now we're in different territory. The only way I know of that this lack of romance menu thing happens, and what to do to fix it, is when Woohooer by mod option is linked to StoryProgression. But as you have neither mod, it's obviously not the same issue. You are certain that in the context of Oasis, both sims are YAs and neither one is a teen?

As for what Grijze suggests as the cause, okay but what's the solution? Revert play to back home and try again? Maybe this is one of the things that NRaas Traveler (together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap) silently prevents from happening upon travel, which is why I don't recognize it.

I'll see what happens if I load an earlier safe as I had issues in the future with Passion and Romance mod. This mod as advertised as a must-have, in order to make the game 'more realistic'. Turned out it crashes the game after either one of my sims starts to do something in Oasis Landing, Plus it didn't add anything to the game that couldn't be done using the basic Romantic interactions menu. Due to this crashing, I started to experiment by removing some of the newly-added mods. Nothing helped until I removed 'Passion and Romance'. It was between 'The Sims 3: 100 mods You Absolutely Can't Play Without' It has good ones like Charge for taxi and shitty ones like the one that makes the blue GUI be pink.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 5:55 PM

Edit: Wait a minute. Think I've got it, and this might actually be intended game behavior. Your two sims' mothers are having a relationship, correct? How far has this relationship progressed back home? I bet the game is suddenly seeing these two sims as stepsisters for some purposes while still married for others.

Their mothers are married too. But I don't see why two sims cannot have a romantic relationship if they are not relatives.
Anyway, I checked it with an older save and the game doesn't show them as stepsisters. But romantic interactions are still missing. Again, why didn't I notice this earlier?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lesbara1
But I don't see why two sims cannot have a romantic relationship if they are not relatives.

Because as far as the game is concerned, if my theory holds up, they are related now even if not blood related, and they can't be romantic. Not while their mothers are considered married, or probably even partners, even if they live out the rest of their lives and pass away as still partners. Which suggests that, without resorting to mods, they cannot reproduce together either.

There are certain situations where the game deems two sims to be "closely related" even though there are no on-screen indicators of such a relationship between them or even on the family trees. This might be one of them. Step siblings, even grown ones who were not step siblings while they were growing up, cannot be romantic with each other unless you have a mod that cuts through the close relation restriction. Another example that catches some players by surprise would be Great Uncle/Aunt and Great Nephew/Niece. There are several ways that two sims can be related this way yet still be age-appropriate to have a relationship by EA standards, this can easily happen in very large families after a couple of generations where the kids are spaced far apart, there are no on-screen indicators for any of these, yet they are still blocked from romantic activity.

And yet First Cousins Once Removed, the game does not recognize as being related in any way at all. Go figure.

AwesomeMod I think recognizes and resolves what they call the Sudden Greg/Marsha Brady syndrome, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend a far-reaching Core Mod just to fix this one thing and that mod is all or nothing, pretty much. Woohooer of course allows user directed close relation romantic activity without necessarily opening the gates for autonomous so that setting doesn't need to affect others in your game. Other than those, again if my theory holds up, I think your options are going to be limited here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 6:43 PM
Because as far as the game is concerned, if my theory holds up, they are related now even if not blood related, and they can't be romantic. Not while their mothers are considered married, or probably even partners, even if they live out the rest of their lives and pass away as still partners. Which suggests that, without resorting to mods, they cannot reproduce together either.

There are certain situations where the game deems two sims to be "closely related" even though there are no on-screen indicators of such a relationship between them or even on the family trees. This might be one of them. Step siblings, even grown ones who were not step siblings while they were growing up, cannot be romantic with each other unless you have a mod that cuts through the close relation restriction. Another example that catches some players by surprise would be Great Uncle/Aunt and Great Nephew/Niece. There are several ways that two sims can be related this way yet still be age-appropriate to have a relationship by EA standards, this can easily happen in very large families after a couple of generations where the kids are spaced far apart, there are no on-screen indicators for any of these, yet they are still blocked from romantic activity.

And yet First Cousins Once Removed, the game does not recognize as being related in any way at all. Go figure.

AwesomeMod I think recognizes and resolves what they call the Sudden Greg/Marsha Brady syndrome, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend a far-reaching Core Mod just to fix this one thing and that mod is all or nothing, pretty much. Woohooer of course allows user directed close relation romantic activity without necessarily opening the gates for autonomous so that setting doesn't need to affect others in your game. Other than those, again if my theory holds up, I think your options are going to be limited here.

... Shit. What if I make my sims move to another town? That will cut everything relationship. Because if I get it right, just removing them wouldn't solve anything.
And since I never wanted to play with my sim's mother (I needed one because of the restrictions, pre-YA sims have), it wouldn't be such a great loss. But now that my sim grew up, got married and moved away from the family house, I don't need her anymore.Same goes for my sim's mother-in-law/stepmother (thanks, EA, you messed things up pretty well).
Or what if I use MC to remove the mothers from the family? Would it work?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 6:51 PM
If you move sims the Traveler mod way, then those earlier generation relationships would be preserved. But if you move them the EA way, either by the Move menu without Traveler in place or by passing them through the household bin and placing copies of your two sims in a new homeworld, then you might have something there. But that way you would also lose friendly relationships with all sims left behind (in case that matters). NRaas Porter offers another alternative if you want to go there.

Seems like removing the parent-child relationships by way of MC should also do it. Sorry, am not really in a position to test anything out on this end currently.

@Nitromon - No, we're not serious. We're making this all up just to waste each other's time. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure that close relations cannot engineer a baby together by EA standards, which is where we've ended up thus far. And either way, the lack of romantic options would persist.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 6:57 PM
How far in the past? Possibly this is something that got patched out with the post-ITF patch (1.66)? I know that sounds like grasping at straws, but this is sounding vaguely familiar now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 9:06 PM
If you move sims the Traveler mod way, then those earlier generation relationships would be preserved. But if you move them the EA way, either by the Move menu without Traveler in place or by passing them through the household bin and placing copies of your two sims in a new homeworld, then you might have something there. But that way you would also lose friendly relationships with all sims left behind (in case that matters). NRaas Porter offers another alternative if you want to go there.

Seems like removing the parent-child relationships by way of MC should also do it. Sorry, am not really in a position to test anything out on this end currently.

@Nitromon - No, we're not serious. We're making this all up just to waste each other's time. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure that close relations cannot engineer a baby together by EA standards, which is where we've ended up thus far. And either way, the lack of romantic options would persist.

I used MC to remove Xia's mother and romantic interactions are now available as well as Engineering a baby in the future. At least there are two things I now know,
  1. Passion and Romance is incompatible with ITF and will crash the game after arriving at Oasis Landing and
  2. Anach mods are incompatible with ITS too and will crash the game after arriving at Oasis Landing as well
Mad Poster
#24 Old 26th Oct 2017 at 9:31 PM
Phew, good job though!

Are relationships and all this silly rule juggling this difficult to manage in real life these days? I don't get out as much as I used to...