Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 8:56 PM
Default Something that really grinds my gears about CC
A lot of CC makers use fanart and other stuff they didn't get permission to use. Official art is one thing and you shouldn't really need permission for it. But when I see so much anime stuff that clearly got ripped from Pixiv or somewhere, it makes me mad. You don't make fan products by taking other fan products! And ugh the lack of self-awareness when these same people say not to upload anywhere else. Like you clearly didn't see an issue in using someone else's design for your own gains but you tell people not to do the same with yours--how can you possibly have this little insight?

I really wish there was better monitoring for this on big sites especially. If something looks like fanart, it probably is, and when something is submitted to a site for verification, that needs to be part of the process.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:38 PM Last edited by MurderPrincessK : 10th Jun 2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I can't type/spell
I personally don't see a difference between using any artists work. Wether they are Chagall, Pollock, or a fan artist on Deviant Art you are using someone else's work. You just need to give credit to the artist in my opinion. Also, you shouldn't be trying to make money off their work ,no pay sites, no adfly.

I use many different artists work in my own game. Not trying to make a profit or steal credit for their creations. I just enjoy them enough to want them in my game.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:43 PM
I've never seen any credit given, and that's a problem itself.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 2:10 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 10th Jun 2017 at 2:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
I've never seen any credit given, and that's a problem itself.

It can't always be that easy for å mod to know what is what always, but hasn't mts at least changed their policy on this recently?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 11:47 AM
Yep and during my mod training, I remember having to check the credits was a required thing as well. (Which was even before the entire guideline was announced) And credits are really important! Not only is it a nice gesture, but as an artist myself, I'd rather appreciate it if people at least would mention my name.

Though I guess if you come across some older downloads, it makes sense that those don't have any crediting on them. Recent downloads should have them and we do check that people do credit the artist and not google ^- ~

But it's rather sad that most sites don't take making sure the artist is being credited on their account! Since not only it will prevent the user from having copyright strikes, IF they get any, it's also a really nice gesture ^- ~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 8:15 PM
Yup!

Some credit would be nice- sometimes I don't want to download the CC but want to know more about the art used in it.
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Yup!

Some credit would be nice- sometimes I don't want to download the CC but want to know more about the art used in it.

It's not a solution to the larger issue of reposting without credit, but if you use Chrome and right click on an image there's an option to search Google for it, and this has been really helpful for me when I'm curious about an image that doesn't have any credit or context. It's not perfect and if the image has been modified (say, someone put it in a frame to use as decor or something) it may not find as much, but it works at least some of the time due to Google's scarygood image/facial recognition...I try not to think about that part too much. ;D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 10:39 PM
BlackjackGabbiani not only is full credit with a name and a link required here the creators TOU must be free to use. If the artist has no terms of use then we assume they do not mind people using what they have put online in a free sharing capacity.

Take a look at our credit rules. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=590143 If you have seen a recent upload not following those guidelines please report it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 12:41 AM
I mean in general, not on any one site. I see it across a lot of sites.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 5:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
It's not a solution to the larger issue of reposting without credit, but if you use Chrome and right click on an image there's an option to search Google for it, and this has been really helpful for me when I'm curious about an image that doesn't have any credit or context. It's not perfect and if the image has been modified (say, someone put it in a frame to use as decor or something) it may not find as much, but it works at least some of the time due to Google's scarygood image/facial recognition...I try not to think about that part too much. ;D

Lol I've been doing that, but it is a bit of a pain to have to crop in the image, save and reload up to Google's reverse search.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#11 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Lol I've been doing that, but it is a bit of a pain to have to crop in the image, save and reload up to Google's reverse search.

Haha yeah, usually whenever I use google images, it's either something that has the same amount of color use as the picture i'm using, or if it's something sims related, google will only show me pictures of actual people! Not saying that it's a bad tool, but it still feels really beta to me. There were moments that it did work though! But it's usually a 50/50 chance that google images will guess it right.
Theorist
#12 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
I mean in general, not on any one site. I see it across a lot of sites.

I've seen this a lot too. But not so much here on MTS, because they have rules, but I didn't think you were referring to MTS in the first place. On Tumblr and elsewhere I agree, I have seen this, and it's not just images. I've seen skin blends using others works too, and the creators seem to think that as long as they give credit to the originals then they can do whatever they want, even when those creators have a TOU that says DO NOT USE MY WORK. Not sure how much plainer they could be about that. A lot of people just think it's OK to ignore all that just 'cause they want to.

So even when they do give credit it still doesn't always make it right. I know of one creator who had the artist contact her and order her to take her pictures down even though she had clearly stated where they came from. That seems a little extreme to those of us who just want a game with nice little paintings in it, and most artists might have let it go, but truthfully that artist did have the right to protect the images of her work.

But what really ticks me off is when these same people put their links through ad fly. You are spot on with that assessment. I hope someone somewhere takes their work and uses it (with credit of course) and tries to make money off of it, because....karma!

This is why I wish all CC creators would just let go of stuff - it's a game, let others improve on your idea if they can, and share it with all of us! But human beings tend to be protective about things they labor over. But the double standards are wrong. If you don't want others to use your stuff, then stop using others' stuff to make it!

/rant

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy