Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 3:12 PM
Default Nameless Yacht (No CC)

Ok, I was thinking about maybe uploading this yacht, since it has no CC (which I know is appreciated by folks here) and I want to share something for TS3. There are few issues I need help with.

1) Mods. I've already said I built it with no CC, but that doesn't mean no mods, I'm not perfect, I have my weaknesses . Mostly, I'm talking about Twallan's Debug Enabler (which allows object free height manipulation, and is sort of a no cc replacement for OMSP) and velocitygrass's No Stencils mod. Those are mods I can't live without. I know that as long as the objects aren't touched, the layout should be fine even without having those mods, but I would appreciate if someone could test it in their game too, or at least confirm it from past experience.

2) Steering wheel placement. Apparently, the game doesn't like my heavy use of MO.

This is where I chose to place a steering wheel:

And this is where the game places it whenever I reinstall the lot:

Is there a way to prevent the steering wheel from randomly spawning elsewhere, without deleting the counters it is originally surrounded with? I really want to keep that continuous, connected feeling of the command room. And it is fully accessible and usable where I placed it, so Sims obviously don't mind it staying there.

3) Name. I have no idea how to name the lot. Classic Yacht? Realistic Yacht? Based-on-reallife-yacht-google-images yacht? I see uploads usually have inspiring names, and I never give characteristic names to my lots. I saved this as "No CC Yacht" (to distinguish it from yacht I made with Luna's CC pieces).

That's all for now. Thanks in advance. I'll attach the testing version of the lot if someone wants to try it (it was built with 1.55 version, but if moderators want it, I could export a file from 1.67).
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  No CC Yacht.rar (1.70 MB, 112 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 3:21 PM
More pictures of the yacht.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 3:03 AM Last edited by attuned : 3rd Oct 2016 at 4:07 AM.
Hi MystAngel
Wow!!! Let me say that again- wow!!! This is amazing and I can't wait for it to be available. I have downloaded the test version and I will report back. As for your questions:

1. Many of us use both The No Stencils mod by velocity grass and NRaas Debug Enabler. The results do stick with the lot, unless the player changes or moves the object. Most creators simply mention the use of these mods in the lot description, with a warning if you make any changes.

2. Steering wheel- I have no idea if this is possible. I would suggest two things. Post this question in the Create>Sims 3 Creations>Building- http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=594. You can certainly make a note on the download that the placement will shift, and how to replace it.

3. Name: How about "Your Own Yacht", because who doesn't want a yacht?

Great work!

EDIT: another name suggestion- "I'm on a Yacht" based on this Saturday Night Live skit "I'm on a Boat" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU
Instructor
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 10:16 AM
I suppose it's not too much work for the downloaders to move the steering wheel again? Looks great anyway
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 7:11 AM
Hi MystAngel
I installed your yacht into my game. It is even more amazing than it shows in the pictures. Really A-mazing! I especially love the kitchen and bath room and the use of the fish tanks. Wow!

I didn't get a chance to test it, and I wasn't sure you were asking for testing. I did not have either of the mods you mentioned in my game when I installed your yacht, and everything looked as it should. Well, except for the steering wheel, which moved to the place you show in your pictures. I had a thought about this. You have lots of stuff overlapping there, especially the phone and boat statue and little hammer. You also are placing the wheel house between two counters, and it is all very close to the telescope and chair. I think all those overlapping footprints might be why the wheel is jumping out of place. I used MOO to move the phone and boat statue and hammer, and then placed the wheel house into just one counter (see picture). I am curious to see if this shift helps it stick when importing. If so, perhaps you can play around with placement so it pleases you AND stays in the same place. It is quite a lovely boat!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 11:41 PM Last edited by MystAngel : 11th Oct 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Wow, @attuned , thank you so much for your thorough feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the yacht, and I believe you when you say the pictures don't do it justice, I'm actually not very good at taking screenshots. Also, I took out all the environment mods (to appear as much vanilla as it could) so that might also be the reason why it looks better in your game. Maybe I didn't even have all the graphics options maxed out. I could try to choose better angles in the future (although, like I said, I'm not particularly skillful), and include few more shots from a player's perspective, but only when I finish it.

I was actually slightly discouraged after my playtesting session last week. The kitchen bar counters with high chairs (the ones I intended to function like a substitute for a dining table) - turned out not to be fully functional. I can drag a plate there and direct a sim to sit and eat, but sims cannot place plates on their own (while the high chairs aren't moved when used, they still need a whole empty tile behind to provide full counter-chair functionality). Right now, my sim rather chooses to eat on the couch , so that problem needs to be addressed and the dining area slightly renovated. This is a tiny, cluttered lot, I've built it for a single loner sim, but I still need everything to be fully functional. At this moment, replacing one counter with a pub stand table, works as a temporary solution:

The second reason for my delayed update is - the novelty of this lot wore off very quickly for me. At one point, I even thought it was ugly (edgy, with too much CFE work, like I overdid it) so I decided to take a break from building for a while. I'm an extremely self-critical person, so that often happens to me. Those are moments I don't feel like uploading... because, if I'm not satisfied with something I did, it's hard to imagine someone else would be. And that's why sometimes validation is encouraging (when I read someone else likes it, or wants to play with it ).

By the way I forgot to thank you for actually trying the lot in your game and paying attention to objects I used mods on. That was most helpful and I'm so glad no problems were found there! :lovestruc About the steering wheel... Actually, removing phone, boat statue and such - didn't help. Sadly, the main problem are those two overlapping counters. That is frustrating because every object there is accessible how I organized it (steering wheel, phone, computer, telescope, chair..). I must admit, I like SimsMatthew's idea very much. If that is allowed by moderation, I could write a small instruction about moving the object where it belongs. Thanks, @SimsMatthew !