Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#151 Old 18th Aug 2016 at 5:54 PM
So... I didn't have much luck. Even with trying to follow the steps in that tutorial it came out looking... well, for lack of a better word, like shit*. I would move one set of vertices and from one angle it would look okay, but I'd turn the model and it would be all distorted and stuff. I think I'm going to have to google basic Blender tutorials at some point when I have the time to really focus on and learn it in depth. So, if it's alright, would you be willing to give this a shot for me? I hate having to ask again after you've already done so much, but I think after this I'm going to finish up the combadge and pip meshes (and hope they actually work in game this time) and then I'll be content with what I've got. No more clothing for me!

I'll keep giving it a shot whether you agree to help me or not, so hopefully I can get the hang of it at least a little bit.

(*Apologies if I'm not supposed to swear on this site, but I didn't see anything about it in the rules.)
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#152 Old 18th Aug 2016 at 9:02 PM
When you say 'distorted looking' does it look like the mesh exploded? Do you import it as a OBJ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#153 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 12:10 AM
No, it doesn't look like the mesh exploded; it just looked really awkward on one side. I guess distorted wasn't really the right word. I didn't save any photos unfortunately, so I can't show you. One other way to describe it would be that upon moving the two vertices say, more to the right on the right side of the left leg (when facing the front of the mesh), it would look okay from the front, but when I would turn it around, it would have moved into the mesh and be on an odd angle, I guess. That probably is more confusing then helpful, but... I tried my best to remember what it looked like.

I did import it as obj, yes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#154 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 6:41 PM
I was also wondering; does The Sims 3 use back face culling on their models? A friend just asked if I could try something for her (since she was having issues), but for the mesh to look correct in Blender I have to click the button to turn on backface culling for it to show properly. Will this be an issue in game or should it be okay?

Still haven't had much luck with the clothing meshes.
Virtual gardener
#155 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 11:39 PM
The sims 3 does not have backface culling. So I would suggest duplicated the parts that show some sort of transparency, (you you're not) switch to edit mode, spacebar and type 'flip normals'. that should fix it. I usually scale it down to 0.99.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#156 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 12:18 AM
So to confirm steps; select the piece that has issues, duplicate it, and use the flip normals command?

As for the clothes... I don't know if you saw my message above the one about backface culling, but no luck still. I don't know if you want to maybe take a quick peek at the meshes to see if it's an issue with that or if I'm just screwing up when I try to move the vertices? You don't have to actually do it for me or anything, I was just wondering if perhaps it's the mesh that's causing me issues. (Ignore the shoe meshes in there; I was transferring to my external hard drive and added them since those are what I plan to make the pants fit over.)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Base Meshes.rar (209.7 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Virtual gardener
#157 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 10:27 AM
Yep those are the steps!

Also, it seemed that EA made sure they split the sharp edges, which I fixed on both male and female meshes. It's likely the fact that the UV map is made that way, but I haven't really seen the UV map on both these 2 meshes.

Anyway! You won't have any issues right now with meshes splitting, because it really was all over the place.

What I did was selecting the entire mesh> spacebar and write down 'remove doubles'. THis will delete the split issue. Second thing I did (which is just a thing I did really fast) was smoothing the edges that were sharp after I remove doubled it. Which you can do in the left toolbar when you're in edit mode and go to the UV/Shading tab.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  OBJ meshes.zip (183.5 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Your meshes!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#158 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 5:47 PM
Hmm... this flipping normals thing is more complicated than expected. It's working though (or so it seems) so that's good.

...Did I upload the wrong mesh? I know I removed the doubles on it at one point.... maybe it didn't save or something. Anyways, I'll give editing it another shot. Somehow I don't see it going too well, but we'll see what happens.
Virtual gardener
#159 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 9:36 PM
I hope this will get a bit easier meshing though. Let me know if it works out ^-^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#160 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 4:13 AM
Well, everything is working properly now. However, I've got a new problem. It looks absolutely terrible. I managed to get one leg looking okay-ish, but couldn't copy it over to the other side. I tried duplicating and flipping and all that stuff, but I couldn't figure out how to make that work properly either. Got any more helpful suggestions?
Virtual gardener
#161 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 3:41 PM
The mirror option is a great one for that! Recently I'm using that option for all my conversions because I hate repeating the progress again.

ANyway this is how you do it:

-Split the part that you want to 'mirror' from the actual mesh. Make sure that the other leg is deleted.
-Go to the right window tool (under this list of names of your meshes, camera, etc.)
-Search the modifiers tool (it's a blueish icon next to the chain icon and the icon with the 3 dots triangle)
-Click on 'add modifier' and use 'mirror'

I usually keep it on the X axis but it depends on where you selected the cursor. If you haven't moved the entire mesh in edit mode around, you won't find any issues of your mesh mirroring things wrong.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#162 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 9:16 PM Last edited by OkamiFukuro : 25th Aug 2016 at 3:29 AM.
Okay. I'll that a try. The only problem is, the legs don't look great. I was trying to copy how a base jeans looked, but I can't see the vertices to move them to the right spots, lol. So it could be awhile before I let you know how the mirroring goes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#163 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 2:35 PM
So yeah... that didnt work as well as I'd hoped. My meshing skills make it look pretty bad, so I tried snapping the vertices to match another mesh, but that didn't go great either.

On another note, I did mange to complete a different project, so I guess that's good.
Virtual gardener
#164 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 2:18 PM
It might sound stupid, but it's all about practice. But i'm glad you did finish another project ^-^
Page 7 of 7