Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 7:28 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 27th Jan 2018 at 10:07 PM.
Default How (would) do you manage Finance and Child Custody regarding Divorced/Separated Couples?
Now, I did create a thread regarding historical hoods a year ago, where the women were not allowed to live alone in my game, but I wanted this thread to more GENERAL. The thread: LINK and before making this thread, I didn't saw any general threads regarding this matter (at least not on MTS2), beside very specific ones like the ones linked, so sorry if the thread feels a bit repeated.

In my game, where I use many romance related mods and ACR2, it's very difficult for them to cheat themself when being in a relationship as they keep refusing the other sims interactions, so whether a sim divorce another sim or not usually depends on the random occurrences I added to spice up the scenarios. (Divorce or Abandoning are just one, sometimes its adoptions, sometimes death, debt, lottery etc...) and ended up with a couple of sims.

Some "general" topics:
How would you deal the money the sims who get kicked out get?
Playing with No20Khandouts, I can find its rather annoying as I haven't established personal family funds for my sims such as banks. Their household funds are simply shared, but some families doesn't have any on hands due to various payments I use for my hood (Tuition, Taxes, Penalties, Dowry for weed daughters etc), So I'm not sure how to play this out. Just because you broke up with someone, doesn't mean you end up on the street. Loans feels a bit odd as they need a house first and I don't usually play with apartments. Now, I just have them dumped at a local "temple", technically, it just empty lots with the essentials and hacked objects but I plan to create an actual lots later on - kind of like an Abby/Almshouse/Charity-based lots where sims with problems live temporary and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. For people who had read my previous threads, I'm not a big fan of "empty nesters/single sims" as my current hood has 70 households right now.

How do you decide which kids remain at which parent's house?
Since a sim leave the lot when being broken up with, I was more thinking of mods that allow you teleport them to the other sims house. Simmers who play more vanilla, I'm not sure there is a way for the kicked out parent to have custody of a/some of the kids without having him/her move back in again.

Is it worth the hassle of having them (the kids) switch houses?
Where I live, this seems rather common and there was a thread related to this, four years ago : http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ghlight=Divorce

Also, I added "would" in brackets, because some simmers doesn't have this happening very often, but wanted the thread to be more strategic topic regarding this matter..

Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 9:32 PM
I've never done this, but if I was having a couple split up I think the leaving parent would take a good chunk of stuff in inventory. They would probably just send money via one of the money mods with the amount based on their income. I guess the kids would go with whoever they had the highest relationship with. Visitation is a good point, I would do that with Christainlov's mirror.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 9:40 PM
Ooh, interesting question. I usually elide over this and just have the kids stay with whichever parent I think makes most sense. Noncustodial parents tend not to be very involved in my game (although occasionally they'll call their kids on the phone, which is nice I suppose). But in my BACC hood there is one family who had four kids. The mom cheated with another guy, and her husband left her. She married the guy she cheated with, and now has cheated on HIM, and they haven't divorced yet but are on the rocks, so her husband decided it wasn't a stable environment for the kids and sued for custody and won, so now they all live with their dad. He had to buy and furnish a bigger house for them.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 10:06 PM
I've had this situation before-and because I do have the "No20k handouts" in the game, the leaving spouse took what money he could and moved into a smaller lot. The kids stayed with their mother, as she was the 'innocent party' and they weren't of age to go with Daddy, nor was he interested in the idea of having kids interfere in his private love life.

She got child support from him and got a job while he opened up a shop to pay the child support. He made enough money between that and his day job to survive on.

They were separated, not divorced.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Alchemist
#5 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 11:13 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 27th Jan 2018 at 11:32 PM.
like I told in some past thread, caused only 1 divorced couple; Daniel and Mary-Sue. and that was in some past time playing. Angela and Lilith remained at their original home; and only changes to income were through shipped version means.

O'Mackey; re-united that couple.
Instructor
#6 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 11:50 PM
I recently started playing a hood with No20k installed. I haven't divorced a couple yet, but I usually split household income between the ex-lovers anyway as somewhat of a 'divorce settlement'. For the sim who filed for divorce, they'll received marriage alimony.

I always have children of divorced couples stay in their original home.

I'll say that its worth the hassle storytelling wise.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Theorist
#7 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:04 AM
I've had this situation in my previous hood once.
The couple divorced after they lost a child (she was a teen at the time).
The husband was having an affair with his first love (they dated when they were teens) and decided to live with his mistress (They weren't lucky because the mistress died from disease the day after he moved in).
They still had a kid. The boy stayed with his mother and his dad paid child support. He could afford it since he owned three businesses.

I also play with No20k. I usually add the lot value to the family funds and split that between the ex-lovers.

The boy spent the weekend with his father once. It's easy to achieve with Christianlov's transporter mirror.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:21 AM
Monique has a child support hack. I got it and haven't used it yet, because no one has divorced. XD
Theorist
#9 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Monique has a child support hack. I got it and haven't used it yet, because no one has divorced. XD

The mod actually works very well. It will always charge the biological parent that the child is not living with. I think the default amount is 200 simoleons per day, but don't quote me on that as I modified (easily done with SimPE) the amount for my game some time ago.

I too play with No 20K Handouts, so a sim that has been kicked out or moves out usually gets to take whatever household objects that are deemed their stuff with them. As for funds, if they had individual savings via Monique's bank account, then they get that as well.

If a relationship breaks down due to a mutual issue, then sometimes I will move everyone out and split the value of the property between the parents, and they all get a fresh start elsewhere. If it was not an amicable split and one parent gets kicked out, then that sim only gets whatever they land in the family bin with. So, oftentimes they end up sleeping on a friend or family members sofa until they can get back on their feet. If they do not have anyone to call on, then their only hope is to find cheap lodging for the time being.

I always choose the parent the child has the best relationship with, does the most nurturing and who is more financially equipped to raise the child/children.

As for having a child spend time with the other parent, for children I just teleport them in and make them selectable when playing the parent's household that does not have guardianship. I usually only do this during their summer vacation or holidays. If they are a teen, then I just have them periodically hangout with the other parent at a community lot for the day.

Now, if the other parent never showed any interest in spending time with or getting to know their child, then I do not bother with trying to maintain the relationship.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 6:08 AM
Finances: I divvy up according to what makes sense to me. I also have no20khandout. Some sims who stay in the home may have to take a loan against their house to keep it. Others, well, it makes sense that they had a pre-nup and the cheater doesn't prosper. I use the money order by Pescado, which will go straight into the moved out sim's finances in the sim bin, so the sim can then spend it on house or rent.

Kids: Primary custody is based on what makes sense to me--taking into account characters and child/parent relationships. Some non-primary parents have no custody at all: they aren't friends with their kids (or possibly have never met them), don't live in an environment that should have children in it, don't behave in a way children should be around, or they have a powerful and vindictive ex. Some kids spend weekdays with one parent, weekends with the other. I use the teleporter cat to move them back and forth, and the rotations go five-two for those families.

Child support: paid using the money order, a flat $1000 a week per kid, to the parent who has weekday custody. Basically this will just keep the kid in private school.

Of course, there are some single parents who have kept the child's existence secret from the other parent, so they get no child support but all the custody. If the other parent finds out, though, the parent who is hiding a child stands at risk of losing all custody of the child and having to pay support, so keeping the baby from meeting the other parent is a high priority--or not, if the other sim is protecting a marriage and other children. There are also some sims who simply didn't want a child, but since the child's other parent did want the child, gave up custody to the other parent and have no further obligations--if the other parent marries then the step-parent may adopt the child in that case. Likewise there are some children in the custody of grandparents because neither parent wanted to parent. If neither parent wishes to raise a child, and the grandparents do not wish to, then the child goes up for adoption. (It's my world: there's risky woohoo but no abortions. All sim children get adopted. Even--maybe especially--townies--I have my own canon for who adopts many of the Megahood townie children and teens.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Forum Resident
#11 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 6:09 AM
I also play with No20Khandouts. If they're in an apartment with no kids, it's not exactly a 50/50 split of household funds, so I'll buy a TV to put in the mover's inventory, depending on how much money they have. If they're in a house, I put more stuff in the inventory to count towards the house value. And of course, if there's kids, whoever takes the kids gets more. It's not an exact science, but I want to make sure both sides continue to live in the manner in which they're accustomed. Or at least enough to rent an apartment and start over.

Depends on the household. In my last sim divorce, the husband cheated on the wife and she caught him. She took the kids. In others, it depends on stuff like how old the kids are, who has the more accommodating job (i.e. someone who works 2pm-10pm who has child-age kids would mean being raised by a nanny versus a parent with a 9-5 job), aspiration (family sims definitely get the kids). Sometimes it depends on the story. I had a couple (not married) who got pregnant. She was a high-ranking military member, he was a pleasure sim with a slacker job. She didn't mean to get pregnant because she wanted to focus on her career and become the first female general. Soon after she had the baby, they broke up and he took the daughter.

I don't teleport them and move them in, but I have the non-custodial parent invite the kids over for the day on their days off. Sometimes, when the child becomes a teen, I have them move in with the other parent so it's more of a shared custody arrangement. In the above mentioned story, the daughter became a teen and was sneaking out with older boys while her dad was at work DJing, so the mom thought she could do a better job monitoring her. (Didn't work, she was already pregnant due to Risky Sneak Out.) In another situation, the parents broke up but eventually decided to stay friendly for the kids. He moved into an apartment in the same building, so the kids could visit him when I played their lot and vice versa.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 8:00 AM
1. Put things into the inventory; trying to be fair to both; sell some things as well if needed.

2. Kids - well, it depends on the circumstances. I use Pescado's money order for maintenance.Normally the parent that stays will keep the kids - less disruption.

3. Kids that will live with the leaving parent will move out with him/her. The other parent can phone/invite over (and vice versa) and, in my game, gets to take the kids on vacation.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 12:48 PM
Depends - if the father is a feckless a*******, he'll disappear and not pay a penny unless Sirencester Social Services can track him down. Even then ...

OTOH, if he's a good dad whose relationship with the mum just collapsed, he'll come round, pay money, buy stuff and make presents and so on. Same if it's a feckless/responsible mother who left. Everything in my stories depends.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#14 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 1:05 AM
I've only had it happen twice, both times before I got the no20khandouts.

The first time, the child stayed with the father while the cheating mother was kicked out, and the mother had nothing further to do with the child.

The second time, the father moved the Other Woman (townie Michelle Tse) into the family home, then moved out with her. I shuffled stuff around in inventory so that he and Michelle got only Michelle's money, while the abandoned wife had the full value of the family funds with which to feed her five children. Until the youngest child left home, the father was required to send every simoleon he earned back to his wife, which I did by having him invite one of the kids around each day when he got home from work, and giving them gifts to the exact value of his wages. Once the youngest child left home, the heir was deemed to have inherited early; from that point on, he was the one responsible for his 'widowed' mother.

I've also had twins born out of wedlock; the father (who was the respondent in the first divorce case, then married someone else, then had this other affair!) did nothing to support his twins, and the mother eventually had to move in with her brother's family because she couldn't cope by herself. Annoyingly, when the twins went to college, it was the father they'd never met who took them!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 11:33 AM
I am wondering if all of you who have/had cheating sims use ACR? or maybe you just let them do it?
I do not have the mod, and I never let my sims cheat on their partners. Boring you'd say? Well, you get used to it.
Never experienced a divorce in this game...or parents separating and moving out.
If ever this happens though, I guess I would share the money equally between them. If children are involved, they would go with the parent they have the higher relationship with. That would be hard, as normally, everyone has a high relationship with everyone in my families.
I too have Monique's child support hack, so it would take care of this.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 2:27 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 29th Jan 2018 at 2:39 PM.
In "normal" gameplay, my sims usually cheat from having several crushes before they find THE ONE in ACR2, not necessary acr itself cause the cheating in my game but the relationships had before being in a commitment.

Because I don't like playing with single sims, I usually have all suitors gathered on a lot (moved to an edit lot, the "unnormal" gameplay to speed up thing) and see who they get along with, along with boosting friendship here and there with hacks like Sim blender. But most of the time, though, I have to cheat the game by adding crushes on sims with hacks because I also have romance-mod which make it harder to from romantic relationships, but still like the idea of having sims of opposite gender being just friends. Having a crush flag along with a non-static the one in ACR, it make it easier when I want them to cheat.

It's rather hilarious when you end up with several "rejected the first kiss"memories (one poor guy got rejected by EVERY female sim he tried to flirt with ) because with the mods combined, they are a bit too PICKY.

In this case, regarding the thread: The divorce/separation was through hacks where I set their relationships to 0/0 each and had them argue (along with the break up anytime mod, which I only use when their LTS is low) . My sims doesn't always divorce from cheating. These sims on the random rolls were divorced to low relationships.
Theorist
#17 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 3:02 PM
I only have the romancemod (my game is a strictly ACR-free zone) and yeah it does make it more difficult to cheat, but it still works well with Romance Sims (and some others, depending on character, I believe). I haven't had a divorce in my current neighbourhood, so I'm not entirely sure how I will handle it this time around, particularly if kids are involved. The only problem I have run into is that I sometimes have to cheat a Sim bisexual if I want them to actually be bisexual.
In any case, my Sims don't need the ACR to cheat, I direct them to cheat according to attraction and personality. Like in my current Beginning of Pleasantview Neihgbourhood I have the Al Mahmouds (the maternal grandparents of the Caliente Sisters) I started them out as a very conservative couple of recent immigrants to Sims City, but since then Benazir (the wife) has steadily emancipated herself, particularly after finding success in her career. Since the Al Mamouhds have no attraction towards each other, at all (not a single lightning bolt!) this emancipation also included for Benazir to find herself a lover (or two, or three) whom she is actually attracted to. The family situation is steering towards a divorce for multiple reasons, but I'm not sure how I will play it out yet.
I do have the money order thing, so i might employ that to have Tariq pay child support to Benazir...but on the other hand Nighat and her twin brother are speedily growing up, so they might become adults before their parents divorce and Benazir is already earning a lot more than Tariq.
There's actually one family right now where the husband/father lives apart from the wife/mother and children, but they aren't divorced or even separated and he's pretty much an indentured servant, forced to work off astronomical debts, so there isn't really any money he could send his family...

But in future divorces I plan on having the kids live with the parent they have the highest relationship with/who would be the best guardian.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 3:26 PM
I’ve actually just had three graduating from university where the couple got a child but I also say that my sims need to pay 15K per child to go to university. Some households only get one to university, some gets 2, some gets none.

Anyway, in the case with my university couple was it the uncle to the child I made take the custody of the child. I just pick after what seems best, or to where I know the certain sim can save money up VwV
And take care.

As for how many money my sims get when kicked out: i’mconstantly doing Math on how much each parent earn, how much get used and so on. Constantly.
So I give them whatever is back and take it away from the other parent.

I build small houses *^*
Alchemist
#19 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 5:03 PM
I do have ACR, but I also pretty much let my Sims live their own lives. I had this whole story planned for Cassandra and Don, but Cassandra, the family Sim, was the first one to cheat in that relationship, and that was before installing ACR and without me having anything to do with it. She autonomously flirted with Darren. Back to the OP's questions, my Sims get the 20K handouts, so money isn't an issue. I use the teleporter cat and casual groups to simulate shared custody. No need for child support when both parents have the kids an equal amount of time. As a family player, it's worth the hassle for me. It's also a nice change of pace because the Sims can do different things based on whether they have the kid with them or they're on their own because the kid's with the other parent.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 5:52 PM
How would you deal the money the Sims who gets kicked out get?
I also use the No20K handout mod and I use a mod that stops the game from kicking out a spouse after breaking up. This allows me to decide who leaves. I’ve also modified the child support payment mod to an amount that makes sense (allows for bills to paid, pays for private and buys clothing for children). Some of my married Sims and couples who live together have separate bank accounts. Some of them also save by investing in silver or gold coins. So far there haven’t been any divorces or breakups in my current neighborhood (I use the going steady option for unmarried adults in relationships). However, I do have a couple who share parenting of their daughter. While she is with her mother she receives child support from her father and vice versa when she is living with her father.

It would depend on who has the highest relationship with children, their lifestyle and extended family relationships.

Is it worth the hassle of having the kids switch houses?
I currently have a couple who are not married and still involved and they live in separate households and different neighborhoods; they share custody of their daughter. Her mother is the primary parent, and she spends weekends and summers with her father (birthday’s and holidays are also shared). Teleporting between houses is easy and I don’t mind (she has her own bedroom at her father’s house); however for short weekend visits I just use Inge's teleporter to make her selectable while she is visiting so she can eat, sleep, change her clothes without actually moving her in. In fact she has just returned home after spending her summer vacation with her father. She just celebrated a birthday and is now a teen. She will move back to her father's house just before she leaves for college.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 3:00 AM
Rosebine, I do have ACR, but because I play premades in a Megahood, there are a bunch of them set up for/already cheating. But the biggest thing is if one of my sims rolls a want to cheat, he or she is very likely to get it. ACR is much more likely to get committed sims to be and stay faithful. In Vanilla Game, a happily married sim will accept a flirt from a best friend and thus become a cheater. With ACR's One Sim function, that same happily married sim will reject the flirt, because he just isn't into cheating.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#22 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 6:01 AM
If its not in the game I don't force it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 7:09 AM Last edited by Nukk : 30th Jan 2018 at 7:20 AM.
I handle most situations in my game based on the Sims' personalities (both in-game and what's in my head).

Like many other posters here, I have the No20KHandout mod. Depending on how kind the involved Sims are feeling (and how much money they have), there may be a lot going to the leaving Sim or there may be very little cash going to the leaving Sim (or perhaps that Sim will steal extra money from their ex).

It depends on who owns the house, why the parents are breaking up, and whether or not the kids have a strong preference for one parent over the other.

In one family a few months ago, my Sims Ivy and Matt divorced because Matt was caught cheating on Ivy (he later married the woman he cheated with, they had some kids together, and they stayed together until her death). They'd bought a house together on money that Matt earned from a job chance card, so in my head the house was more his than hers; as such, their daughter Katelyn stayed with Matt. Katelyn had a whole bag o' problems because of this, lashed out, rebelled, and argued with her dad; unfortunately for her, Ivy ended up pregnant with twins (it was a one-night stand out of desperation for closeness) and rarely bothered to contact Katelyn--I always figured that she was just too busy (she was the mayor, after all) and Kate was a reminder of the life that was stolen from her.

In an ongoing story, my sim Skye absolutely hates children but loves WooHoo. She ended up with two kids by two different guys as a teenager. When she became an adult, she got a small house, intending to party it up and WooHoo around, only for a Sim from the Welcome Wagon to offer her a blind date. She and her date had three bolts of Chemistry, and on the first night they did it in bed (gotta love ACR) and thus she became pregnant. He moved in and they became an official couple. Soon after their son was born, Skye's boyfriend (his name escapes me--been a while since I played them) noticed that Skye not once helped him care for the baby, and as a result they started arguing. She promised to help out more, they made up (in bed), and now she's pregnant with another one. There's been more arguing and I intend for her to give birth, then leave in the middle of the night.

In short, despite Skye buying the house by (and for) herself, she's the one leaving because she can't stand the idea of raising kids.

In both of these situations the father ended up with the kids, but I haven't been playing this 'hood long enough for there to be other outcomes. There are many more to come!

I don't really consider it much of a hassle, so it's definitely worth it for me.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Rosebine, I do have ACR, but because I play premades in a Megahood, there are a bunch of them set up for/already cheating. But the biggest thing is if one of my sims rolls a want to cheat, he or she is very likely to get it. ACR is much more likely to get committed sims to be and stay faithful. In Vanilla Game, a happily married sim will accept a flirt from a best friend and thus become a cheater. With ACR's One Sim function, that same happily married sim will reject the flirt, because he just isn't into cheating.

This is very interesting Sunbee. Thank you. I thought wrong of ACR.
Rolls a want to cheat? maybe I never saw these wants...do you mean, said sim is in a couple with Soandso, but rolls a want to..romantically hug/kiss/etc.. some other sim?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#25 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
This is very interesting Sunbee. Thank you. I thought wrong of ACR.
Rolls a want to cheat? maybe I never saw these wants...do you mean, said sim is in a couple with Soandso, but rolls a want to..romantically hug/kiss/etc.. some other sim?

I've seen married Sims roll wants to flirt, give back rubs, and fall in love with other Sims; normally this behavior happens with Romance and Pleasure Sims. However, years ago I had married couple (Maurice and Danielle Synclair both Family Sims) who were both BFF's with their neighbor Natasha (Romance Sim). One morning Maurice rolled the want to fall in love with Natasha; Natasha also rolled the want to fall in love with him. Long story short, they fell in love, Maurice began an affair with Natasha and a child was conceived. The strange thing about this situation was that Danielle never showed any outward anger towards Natasha. They remained friends on paper, but their relationship wasn't as friendly; however Danielle was with Natasha when the baby was born.
Page 1 of 2