Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 10:56 PM
Default "no where" vs "now here"
main road/street in Strangetown is "Road to Nowhere".
how do you read the word "nowhere"? "no where" or "now here".

me; kind of both.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 11:16 PM
I don't think it's meant to be read any other way than nowhere, which is the actual word.
The Sims has a lot of easter eggs and names with double meanings, but I'm not sure this is one of them.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 11:31 PM
You could argue though, that since there's no way of knowing which direction is leading towards "nowhere" and which one leads away from it, that both directions are leading nowhere, essentially putting Strangetown in "the middle of nowhere."

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 12:31 AM
I always read it as 'no where'.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#5 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 12:57 AM
To me it's pretty clear it's nowhere (as in no where) and all. Since it's a compound word and all, Strange Town being in the middle of nowhere, the road to nowhere being a song, the abduction/mystery connection etc. etc. In additon to that "The Road to Now Here" doesn't really sound right.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:20 AM
If it was now here then there would have been a space.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:26 AM
I could maybe see it being a word play with being 'now here in nowhere'. But I agree that it is probably just meant to be 'no where'.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Theorist
#8 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:49 AM
Once you're in Strangetown you are no longer where you were, you are not yet where you will get to. Once you stop somewhere along The Road to Nowhere, you have arrived. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 3:08 AM
Road to Nowhere is a pretty common phrase. I would never have read it as now here - makes no sense at all.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 5:44 AM
Actually, you're never nowhere, you're always somewhere.

Sorry, had to throw in a bit of philosophy.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 6:24 AM
"now here" doesn't fit in with strangetown, so I'm guessing it's "no where", as opposed to "somewhere" or "anywhere".

"In the middle of nowhere" is an expression, meaning being far off from other people, or somewhere that feels desolate and far off from other places. Examples would be the only small town for miles and miles on a desert road, the only gas station in a desert, the only house in a big forest or halfway up a mountain, or anywhere else where you'd be cut off from other people or groups of people.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 7:42 AM
We are now here in a road that leads nowhere
Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 7:57 AM
Mad Poster
#15 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Actually, you're never nowhere, you're always somewhere.

Sorry, had to throw in a bit of philosophy.

Unless you are a Sim2...then you can be nowhere when at school, nowhere when at work. Chances are, you are also nowhere when on a hike!
Nowhere when installing alarm system on a car, nowhere when you go for a ride...
Ask your sim's dog, who saw you disintegrating at the end of that sidewalk..that in fact leads nowhere either.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#16 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 11:23 PM
Good thread

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Unless you are a Sim2...then you can be nowhere when at school, nowhere when at work. Chances are, you are also nowhere when on a hike!
Nowhere when installing alarm system on a car, nowhere when you go for a ride...
Ask your sim's dog, who saw you disintegrating at the end of that sidewalk..that in fact leads nowhere either.
those I take to be your interpretation.
my interpretation:: "no particular location".

probably similar with the other "off-screen" events.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 5:11 PM Last edited by HarVee : 2nd Feb 2018 at 12:40 AM.
I really don't get this thread. Linguistically speaking "no where" isn't even proper usage. Nowhere is proper and means to be not of or in any particular notable place. Nowhere can also mean that an object doesn't literally exist, or is unable to be found. In the case of Strangetown it's being used in the former manner to describe the road as leading to a place that is uninteresting. Road to nowhere is an idiomatic expression used in North American English.

How one is able to read "nowhere" and interpret it as "now here" eludes my mind.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#19 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 5:44 PM
Adapted somewhat - but this is what comes to my mind:

It's a real nowhere road
Sitting in it's nowhere land
Making all it's nowhere plans for nobody
Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where it's going to
Isn't it a bit like you and me?
Nowhere road please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere road, The world is at your command...

Special thanks to (and pleading for forgiveness from!) John and Paul
Listen to the tune here

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#20 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
those I take to be your interpretation.

Not at all. Rather a comical intervention.
I would not have the knowledge to interpret on the matter.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#21 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 3:10 AM
Know where my money went?
No, where?
Nowhere!
**jk jk, my money all went to mcdonalds delivery**
Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 7:59 PM Last edited by gazania : 1st Feb 2018 at 8:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0

My first thought when I saw this in the game years ago. Maxis always did like pop culture references. Even some of the scenes in the video remind me of the Sims, though The Sims came out long after the video.

Besides, the video takes place in an arid landscape and the lyrics kind of make sense in the context of the game. BTW, it 's one of my favorite TH songs. Maybe it was one of the devs' favorites at Maxis.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#23 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 8:11 PM
Oh, you know how a word starts to look really weird and not quite right when you read it over and over again? That's happening to me with nowhere! Nowhere. Nowhere!! I keep reading it as now here, now!!!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine

This seems like a good premise for a surreal horror fanfiction where a Sim realizes their entire life and the world itself are fake.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OpelSpeedster
This seems like a good premise for a surreal horror fanfiction where a Sim realizes their entire life and the world itself are fake.

I think they may already know that when they do that look directly at the camera with a derp face thing.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Page 1 of 2