Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 10:20 AM
Default Taming these Aspirations
I came to realize that among the 6 different Aspirations, there are 3 I never use.
Romance - Pleasure - Fortune
I don't like the wants associated with them. How would I keep a sim happy if I never allow these wants to get fulfilled?
I am one of those who believe that sims can be trained. But would this also applies to the wants they will roll?
I need tips and tricks..how do you guys do it?

I am about to start filling up my new 'Hood and I will clearly need variety!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 10:56 AM
I should probably admit right out of the gate that I am only very vaguely familiar with the concept of training sims, but I assume I'm doing it while not being fully aware that's what I'm doing! My insights may or may not be helpful, but I'll share them anyway.

For all aspirations, I try to add a secondary aspiration for greater want variety and deeper characterization.

Romance
Okay, I used to hate this aspiration as well but now I have mods in my game that adjust the honestly ridiculous vanilla jealousy system into something reasonable. I'm now very much enjoying having four Romance sims in a polyamorous quad; everyone's happy and no one's cheating or lying or sneaking around, so I'm happy too! :lovestruc For other Romance sims such as the married Ethan Stardust, I find his Music & Dance hobby helps throw on a few decent wants, plus he's really quite happy to go on many, many dates with his wife (even though she's Family, they have 3LB), so I just ignore silly wants to fall in love with every new BF and keep fulfilling his "good" wants. (I don't remember what I gave him for a secondary aspiration, but that probably helps as well.) He hasn't even dipped into low green aspiration yet, so I feel like he's doing ok!

Pleasure
My husband dislikes this aspiration as well, but I find them especially easy to keep happy. Jump on a couch? Sure, go ahead. Change into PJs? Probably the easiest want in the game! Juggle? Ok, maybe that's actually the easiest one! The only thing that keeps annoying me is when they ask for bubble blowers (and they always do!) when they don't have any room to store such a thing (bubbles blowers often end up plunked down in a fenced backyard locked from visitors so no one freezes to death in the winter...is it just me, or are those things almost as hard to get sims off of as those darn activity tables? ). But sooner or later Pleasure sims will scroll on something ridiculously easy (yes, please do jump on the couch again...I know how much you love it! ).

Fortune
I'll admit these sims are the ones who still put my teeth on edge from time to time; I once mused that they remind me of Verruca Salt: "Daddy, I want another pony." But they're so good about actually wanting the skill points they need for promotions, they don't even need as many want locks as everyone else! I feel like Fortune is one of the "responsible" aspirations, right alongside Family. They're working diligently to improve their lot in life, and while they can be a bit (or maybe a lot!) frivolous and shallow some of the time with their wild desires to install an at home bowling lane an the like, they can also end up being real pillars of the community, working hard to provide for their families. It can really depend a lot on the secondary aspiration which way they go...Family or Knowledge leads to a more responsible sim while of course Pleasure leads to the opposite.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 11:01 AM
Thank you! You've put a lot into your reply and I appreciate this. It really helps!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#4 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 11:07 AM
Funny enough I always found Fortune Aspiration really easy. They wish first to get a good paying job, then skill up to get promotion, and when they have the money they just want you to buy stuff. Quite the easy play.

Pleasure is easy to mostly. My Allerward is pleasure and he mostly just wish to like paint or jump on couch. Which is easy. He though might want skills, IDK if it's how i also play him. Just like Fortune sims they also wanna buy stuff when the money is there.

Romance, Actually Paul is my first romance and sure the wants may be weird, but I actually enjoy to play him. Their hardest aspirations is properly "woohoo with 10 different sims" "get 10 kids" (I thought that was restricted to family sims, but well Paul has 6 or 7 children sooo) "make out with 10 (or 20) different sims" and these takes time, so you kinda have to lock them, but usually if they have a lover their "woohoo" "make out" "admire" wishes are easy.

I build small houses *^*
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 11:21 AM
I use all the aspirations although I only have very few romance sims. I find they all have fillable wants and if not well aspiration breakdowns can be pretty funny. My adults are all paired up so they are easy, just have them date each other.

All sims will roll more of what you fill, so a romance sim won't roll woohoo with 5 sims unless you have already decided to fill the woohoo with 3 sims first. If you want to channel your fortune sim into skilling wants most times they will need a rabbit hole job which needs skills as part of the promotion. Ignore the wants to buy X and try and fill earn money wants instead.
Pleasure is usually happy with playing on the coach or putting on pj's or pulling a prank.

Make sure they have hobbies since they will also roll hobby wants. Plenty of friends is always good for more and better friend wants. Friends, then best friends then BBF's. Lock any skills you do want to fill.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 12:06 PM
I always find this idea of want training a bit odd - I know Peni is keen on the idea. But then I don't play to wants at all. I play for stories and character so tend to match aspirations to my idea of what the character of the sim is. What I do find though is that aspiration doesn't drop much if you ignore wants but play to type (or deliberately frustrate that). To give you an example. I'd see fortune sims as one of several types of character who are interested in money and wealth - though both these things are relative in real life. At the two extremes perhaps you'd have someone who is greedy and interested in being a successful business person (we all know that type) and at the other you might have someone who grew up relatively poor but who has a keen sense of managing money and is careful with it and likes, every now and again, to have nice things. Those are pretty crude stereotypes but I think gives the picture. I find, as long as I play true to type and play as being concerned with money, that the sims are generally 'happy'. Fortune sims like going to work, like earning money, like getting a bonus every now and again and like buying nice stuff. For the first type, I might fit out their bathroom in expensive marble with tacky gold taps (dictator style) and for the second, they might buy an expensive picture. Fortune sims like buying stuff - I might actually consult their wants if I decide it's time for them to spend and buy accordingly but they still like it when I buy something anyway and it seems to either boost their aspiration even without the want or prevent it falling. That's how I do it anyway and I rarely see the aspiration failure behaviours - in fact, I'd like to see them more often since it would enrich the story-telling for that sim. In fact, if I really want to include the failure behaviours, I usually have to force it. Being able to combine aspirations, a la FT, also helps.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 12:51 PM
Fortune sims are quite likable in my opinion - even though they do roll wants to make money/buy expensive things - and, oh, the fear of missing work ( ) - they also roll wants to master the appropriate skills for promotion; they are nice enough as Sims and one can grow fond of them easily. They seem to get along very well with all other sims and all other sims tend to like them (generally).

Romance sims are very charming, easy to enjoy and I feel that a hood should have at least some of them.

Pleasure Sims - the wants are not hard to fill - play on the sofa, dress in undies, go to a community lot? These sims, though, do tend to become a bit boring over time and too many of them are perhaps not a great idea.

The want training does work, although it takes a bit of time - since I have started sending all my Sims to community lots regularly, all aspirations will at times roll wants for meeting somebody new, a good reputation, going to a community lot, etc. A knowledge sim will probably not roll a want for a pottery wheel. But if he gets one, he will want to master pottery before you know it!
just a girl
#8 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I came to realize that among the 6 different Aspirations, there are 3 I never use.
Romance - Pleasure - Fortune
I don't like the wants associated with them. How would I keep a sim happy if I never allow these wants to get fulfilled?

1. Do you need to keep all sims happy all the time? There are certain things in the game you only witness with unhappy sims. 2. The most characteristic wants are not the only wants sims will have. At first maybe. Later their panels will probably end up filled with hobby wants anyway.
By training, I suppose, people mean that the more you indulge certain wants the more they pop up and/or they trigger related wants. Some life choices or situations also work as want triggers. By and large, you decide what direction to take.
Theorist
#9 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 4:19 PM
Romance sims actually can be kept happy with just one lover. They will still occasionally roll wants to flirt with others or have multiple loves/woohoos/make outs, but if you ignore those they will go away in time and the Romance sim will still get their wants fulfilled from romantically interacting with their partner and befriending their neighbors and other family members. They can make good parents as well, since they tend to be interested in befriending their children.
And as others have said, with stuff like the Romance Mod couples of Romance sims can form happy, poly-amorous "blobs", in my current neighbourhood most of the adult members of the Bachelors and Curmplebottoms are such a "blob" that regularly meets to "love ins".

Pleasure, I don't know how to "tame" them, but I do use them whenever I want a "man-child"/"woman-child" type character, though usually either as a secondary aspiration or in combination with one.

I don't really have a problem with Fortune Sims, so I have never considered alternative ways to play them.
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 6:28 PM
Fortune Sims are easy enough as long as they're allowed to get jobs. They're always keen to get a promotion, which means they tend to roll fillable wants. The single woman in Belladonna Cove (Jennifer something?) is Fortune, and she comes home from work every night wanting to learn the necessary skills for her next promotion. Very easy to keep her happy, and she also likes to build relationships for work, one of which has finally resulted in her getting married. Fortune is a bad choice for a farming community, a hood with high unemployment, Neanderthals, or aristocrats, but for a regular hood I actually find it easier than Family (older Family Sims who roll endless wants for their unfortunate relatives to get married and produce grandchildren whether they want to or not are, in my opinion, far more selfish and far harder to keep happy than the average Fortune Sim).

Pleasure Sims can be a pain, because they just endlessly want to do silly little things over and over again, and it can be hard to keep them happy. I frequently find myself growling, "Well, try rolling a want worth having, then!" when they're whining about low aspiration.

I avoided Romance Sims for years, but they're actually not that bad, especially if they have a work-related LTW like Professional Party Guest. Some I keep single and allow to have affairs with unmarried Sims; those that marry I try to keep faithful by focusing on their non-Romance wants, or directing Romance wants towards their partners - they will often roll a generic woo-hoo want, which gives easy aspiration points if they have a spouse. Yes, they'll roll wants to woo-hoo with other Sims, but soon enough the generic want rolls round again. Also, although they tend not to want babies, they can be very loving towards any that happen along; while some Family Sims roll nothing but wants to produce more babies, Romance Sims quite often roll 'snuggle' and 'play with' wants for toddlers, and any 'kiss' wants can be satisfied by a family kiss with a little one.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 6:40 PM
I believe in the training mechanism because I can see it in action. Possibly I think it's more powerful than it is because Confirmation Bias, but it's definitely there. We're all training our sims - whether consciously, or not. If you play them to a certain character, then you'll train them into that character. And yes, Rosebine, the training directly affects their wants. The more often you fill a want, the more likely it is to roll again. That was the first thing I noticed, with sims who developed strong patterns of want-rolling, to the point of rolling the same wants in the same sequence at the same times of day! But the mechanism involves the gradual changing of the probabilities of rolling certain wants - it's not a hard-and-fast thing, and it occurs within the structure of existing want trees.

So yes, a Romance sim who has been played monogamously from Day 1 will still roll wants for multiple lovers occasionally; but if that monogamous partnership includes lots of woohoo gratification with the partner, if the Romance sim has a lot of hobby enthusiasm, if they have work that satisfies them, if they have children they love and interact with a lot, if you have techniques for breaking up stuck wants panels, you'll never see a numbered want higher than five, because you won't be giving them multiple lovers and they'll never advance past that point in the Wants tree.

If you want to play all the aspirations, the thing to keep in the front of your mind is that all the aspirations have both boring and fun elements; so you need to keep an eye open for the elements that you find fun in that aspiration, and give yourself permission to have fun in different ways. Bear in mind also that sims are individuals - this Romance sim does not have to play the same way as that Romance sim. It would in fact be Very Weird Indeed if shy, nice Woody Weiss went about having a Romance aspiration in the same way as outgoing, grouchy Rhett Hart does. But even the same Romance sim can play very differently for different players, and even in different iterations for the same player, because of player choices.

I don't know what specifically you find fun, but let's take these aspirations one by one.

Romance is a great aspiration for players who are into Drama, because boy, can they make it happen! No other aspiration showcases as effectively the great truth that individual choices affect multiple people. Their decisions, good and bad, tend to send repercussions all across the neighborhood. A Romance sim can be a heartless flirt, a possessive jackass, a serial monogamist, a polygamist, a generous fun date, a conflicted moralist caught in continual struggle with basic urges, a hedonist, a feather-brain, an abuse survivor protecting herself from the dangers of closeness, a flamboyant diva, an artist making one Grand Passion into a life's work - and on and on and on. You may want to adjust vanilla jealousy so you can have polyamourists date other polyamourists without drama; but there's a lot of fun to be had out of a hardcore serial dater who can't take competition, too! Give them character arcs and development. Think, not only about why this sim dates around, but why other people may want to date him or her. What makes this sim attractive? And for your own pleasure, chase the cute and funny animations! Shy sims flirt adorably. The Romance Sim Swagger is hilarious. Set yourself challenges - how many woohoo wants can you generate in this one date? How many woohoo locations can you fit into a day? Keep this sim at platinum filling any kind of want except woohoo wants!

Pleasure I had trouble with to begin with, myself. They want such small things and have no direction in life. With almost no high-point wants that aren't on the Dating want tree, they can be hard to keep happy if you're at all goal-oriented. Because they really aren't. But this can actually make them into powerfully useful sims in the context of a larger household. They're great with kids, always have time to play with them and are willing to take them on outings. When everyone else in the family is focused on The Big Picture the Pleasure sim is quietly filling wants to serve meals (if you have Freetime, all Pleasure sims will build cuisine enthusiasm quickly and start rolling those wants), play with the toddler, teach the dog a trick, or whatever. They like going to community lots and the want is filled just as well by a trip to the grocery store as by a trip to a night club. Just let them play the arcade machine for a little while before making them go home. A Neat Pleasure sim will be happy cleaning up. A Playful Pleasure sim can earn quite a lot of money from painting, busking, and freestyling. An Outgoing Pleasure sim is an asset to every party, with lots of spontaneous joke-telling, dancing, and pranking. Use Pleasure sims to try out things you've never done. Who is more likely to pay for break dancing lessons and get into a break dance battle, than a Pleasure sim? Who is more likely to do the fancy skating moves? Who looks more natural talking to trees once they've gotten that gold badge? But Pleasure sims may also cause more drama, with less effort, than Romance sims, and they are natural choices to be the spoiled brat of a family, the household member whose messes everyone else has to clean up, the narcissist who uses people up and discards them.

Fortune, now - Fortune is my favorite aspiration, because they're so steady and reliable; but they can also make great villains if you need them to. If you don't like filling endless wants to buy things I recommend moving them into a built and furnished house rather than an empty lot or a shell. All sims moved onto empty lots will roll wants for necessities like toilets and refrigerators until you buy them; but Fortune's want trees are specifically structured for filling such wants to trigger more wants, so it's easy to train them into mindless consumption. If, however, you move them onto an already-furnished lot, their initial wants will be to meet people, get jobs, gain skills, interact with other household members, and perform generic activities appropriate to the season, which will allow you to begin training them outside the Fortune want tree. Outside of the Consumerism branch, however, this want tree is structured in a highly logical manner, so that Fortune sims tend to be more methodical and to actively plan their own careers with minimal input from the player. If they need a Charisma point for a promotion, first they'll roll a want to buy a mirror or a parrot; then they'll roll the want for the point; then they'll roll the want for the promotion, probably along with a fear of missing the carpool and a want to go to work. Once they get the promotion, they come home with wants for the next level of skills and also to play with their kids or canoodle their spouses. If you give them a business instead of a rabbit hole job they'll roll wants for customer stars, to make sales, and to gain badges the whole time they're at the business, then come home and roll family wants. They can become the playthings of Romance, but they can also make the most faithful, devoted partners you'll ever see in the game. They can be the evil schemer, the miser, the gold-digger, or the villain cheating to get ahead; or they can be the provider, the philanthropist, the one who works hard and shares the wealth; or they can be hustling to get along, to rise above poverty and make a better life for their children.

Think of real people who could be described as having each inspiration, either people you know or public or historical figures. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were Romance. Paul McCartney is Fortune. Maybe your favorite aunt is Pleasure. How would these people play as sims?

All the aspirations are fun, if you let them be.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 6:41 PM
Fortune is one of my favourite aspirations, along with knowledge and family! All three are extremely easy to fulfill in my opinion, just by making the appropriate decisions (career and object related for fortune, skilling related for knowledge, children related for family).

I'd agree though that pleasure is kind of a pain in the butt, I avoid it a lot. I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but pleasure and popularity are by far my least favourite aspirations, simply because they involve things like throwing parties and going downtown that I do once in a blue moon, so their aspiration bar is barely green at best.

I have quite a love-hate relationship with romance. I don't think you should ever have too many romance sims running around, it's a pretty specific play style, and usually I prefer my families to settle down pretty fast. I do have one romance sim in my hood right now, and I'm working towards fulfilling her WooHoo 20 Sims LTW, she will settle down with someone afterwards, and depending on how long the LTW takes to fill, possibly have children.
Instructor
#13 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 6:54 PM
Another thing to note, is that sims often get hobby-related wants as well, no matter their aspiration. That can get boring as well, though. Some of my sims just constantly wants to hike, look at birds and hunt for bugs.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 9:25 PM
Have to check on that, but I believe assigning a secondary aspiration (from the aspiration benefit perks) would also throw out the new aspiration and it wants there in question. So picked another that you like, while keeping one of your three dislike ones as a primary aspiration.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 10:06 PM
Made 4 new sims (I like sterotypes), I get idea of a kind of type of person, and try to create their story. So you would think my elegant french lady, who is a fortune sim would be all about the arts and the money, want to marry a rich man and buy paintings.. Nope, she is always thinking about training dogs and making them behave. She doesn't even really have a passion for animals according to her interests and hobbies.. Now if we go with my choices, she'll end up a ballet dancer and patron of the arts. But I think her idea is better, so we do more and more dog things and care less about buying things. Her crazy artist room mate, who is a pleasure sim, I expected her to party all day, and want to go out and play. Nope, she wants to buy things all the time. If I play to their wants, they'll be what I imagined, rather than having the more nuanced personalities that I'm coming to discover.
Alchemist
#16 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 10:15 PM
some Wants/Fears are common to multiple aspirations.
on a lot without objects with a newly moved-in household, there would be 3 objects in the Wants of each Adult. if I remember correctly; fridge, toilet, shower/tub.

Fortune; if they are moved into a house full of objects, they would not have object-related Wants.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 10:32 PM
On the other hand, why care too much about those little pleasures? Going on a date causes a full happy-bar, and then needs are reduced!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Fortune Sims are easy enough as long as they're allowed to get jobs.

I've found this is absolutely not necessary, at least not for every Fortune sim. I've got one in my game right now, Fortune/Family. Unemployed, because she has yet to ask for a job! (I've played her for two full seasons, just for context.) Her LTW is to graduate 3 kids from college so even that isn't an excuse to employ her. Her OTH is Arts & Crafts, and she recently managed to sell a masterpiece. She is very happy and fulfilled, and as I said, she never did ask for a job.