Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 6:28 PM
Default Rambling out loud about Dormies and Townies...
No one likes to have the same Dormies or Townies in their 'Hood, generation after generation...
When Paul went to college, he met Peter and Sarah. He befriended Peter..and ended up marrying Sarah. Paul went out with his life..while Peter stayed on campus. Now, Paul has a child..who will most probably meet Peter when he goes to college.
You never get out of this!
I thought creating my own Townies would be nice, and it is indeed. But I'll still face that problem.
I could try to match all the Dormies I made, with my YA playables...but with nodormieregen...I will end up running out of friends.
That's ok right?, since I also made my own adult Townies. So after graduation, if you find no match among the other playable on campus, there is always the adult Townies in the main 'Hood when you go back...
Ah! That game.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 6:52 PM
The dormies and townies are a perennial problem. We've discussed them many times. I like justpetro's solution best. They're celebrities so everyone knows them.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 6:56 PM
When your playable graduates, have him invite all his dormie friends over, invite them to move in so that they grow up, give them adult makeovers, and turn them into townies if you don't want to play them.
Then go back to University and make a new batch of dormies to take their places.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 8:15 PM
Or you could just use Syberspunk's "Grow Up Townies" mod and ask Paul's friends to graduate or drop out the next time you see them.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=4842.0

There are multiple "flavors" of this mod. The basic version (growuptownies.zip) has a relationship requirement, although the changelog seems to say he removed it for the University functions. Here are the other versions (I use # 3):

Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk
CHOOSE ONE ONLY!

The reg folder contains the regular controller. It has all 3 checks.

1) noagecheck - removes age check ONLY, keeps type check (only Visitors have the option) AND relationship checks

2) notypecheck - removes age AND type check (allows option for PCs, Visitors, AND NPCs - use with caution), keeps relationship check ONLY

3) norelcheck - removes age, type, AND relationship checks i.e. the option to Grow Up/Say Goodbye Forever should show up on anyone that is a child or older. Restricted to child and up due to animations (i.e. anims don't exist for toddlers and babies since this is a social interaction - this may be addressed in the future).

The testing version includes the YA options for declaring major and sending sims to finals. These are considered experimental since it has been reported that dormies grades and majors might be reset. Use at your own risk. :P

Ste
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 9:00 PM
Personally, my townies/dormies/vacation locals are walking scenery. I never play them, they're meant to be stereotypical representations of types of people, my sims don't interact with them much. I play with my own sims and if I need a new sim for a mate or so on, I make one. It's never been an issue that bothered me and I don't regard it as a perennial problem. I put a lot of effort into making them but that's about it - I just wanted them to look the part.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 9:53 PM
I like Ancient Highways mod that ages townies a day when they are on your lot at 6pm. This only works well if you have a fair number of businesses since otherwise the NPC being on your lot at 6 pm is pretty slim. Dormies I sometimes marry in, other times I move them in, drop them out and turn them into townies. If I really want someone aged I just age them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:16 PM
Famous or infamous - everybody knows them
Theorist
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 11:40 PM
Yeah to me Townies and Dormies are just like the extras that fill crowd scenes in movies and TV shows. If my Sims interact with them at all then most of the time it's because they need a "friend" for a promotion and I can't be bothered to actually give them another meaningful relationship with a playable (aka proper Sim)
I'm mostly happy to ignore them, I still had to replace the default ones because I dislike them very much.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I like Ancient Highways mod that ages townies a day when they are on your lot at 6pm.

How does it affect Sims who are on the other end of a phone call at 6pm, since they're technically "on the lot"?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 2:09 AM
I don't have generated dormies. Just the townies and playables. But, this thread made me realize, that none of my University sims have interacted with any townie except for the cheerleader and llama...

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 6:07 AM Last edited by gazania : 3rd Feb 2018 at 9:47 AM.
Strangely, they don't bother me. Then again, I'm the sort that hates killing my Sims and once they're past child years, tend to age them really slowly, so aging isn't a problem. I see them as faces in the crowd, much like Orphalesion sees them. I actually have become fond of some of them, such as Jane Stacks and that blond guy cashier whose name eludes me right now. I've had a couple of professors actually marry my young adults once they're out of school, and they've had families. I've even had families adopt one or two of the paper boys and girls. If their clothes annoy me, I use the Christianlov rack to change them or if they have default outfits, get a default replacement, such as the paper carriers.

With some exceptions, such as Mrs. C (I have no downtown, and have no desire to interact with a game-breaker), Unsavory Charlatan, and a few of the less-hood/game breaking NPCs (some just annoy me), I'm OK with the Maxis townies and dormies.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 9:11 AM
Like Gazania, I don't have problems with Townies/Downtownies. I even move them into my hood, cause my neighborhood concept is "Everybody in my hood should has a place to live (except the hobos), even NPCs".What I've done is just give them a make-up and some surgery and some new clothes and...blink ! That was what i want.

For NPCs, i mean, I didn't move them in of course. I just create a home-business lot, and get a mod like guests can sleep or bath in a community/business lot. I build houses in a one-huge lot and lock the door in each house for each NPC. So each chosen NPC has their own house and they can do whatever they want in their house- (-until they leave from my lot of course, and what I do is just teleport them in again). It might not be their actually house but I feel like, at least they aren't came from nowhere. At least it was like they have a place to live, to eat, to sleep, to bath, etc., like my playable Sims or moved Townies/Downtownies.

♒ Aquarius Sun, ♈ Aries Moon, ♈ Aries Rising

Sorry for my English :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 9:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlademasterX2
Like Gazania, I don't have problems with Townies/Downtownies. I even move them into my hood, cause my neighborhood concept is "Everybody in my hood should has a place to live (except the hobos), even NPCs".What I've done is just give them a make-up and some surgery and some new clothes and...blink ! That was what i want.

This is what I do, and will keep on doing. Though since I made them all, no makeover will be needed!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 9:27 AM
if i'm playing with premades i never let them interact with townies dormies etc because i want to "keep the bloodline pure" AKA only breed with premades

in custom hoods i use them a lot

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Forum Resident
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 10:01 AM
And I am just here like

Meh maybe they got families and just like my friend everyone has the same fucking name throughout the lineage? Properly. XD

I build small houses *^*
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dharden
How does it affect Sims who are on the other end of a phone call at 6pm, since they're technically "on the lot"?

I assume it doesn't. Teens get a pop up saying 'Rickie has the opportunity to go to uni' when they are on the lot at age up and I've never seen that during a phone call.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AliaD85
I don't have generated dormies. Just the townies and playables. But, this thread made me realize, that none of my University sims have interacted with any townie except for the cheerleader and llama...

I use SimSurgery to overwrite the appearance of the cheerleader (and streaker) with one of the current playable students' appearances so that it looks like them. I do that with a lot of NPCs - the newspaper delivery person is one of the current teens so it looks like he has a job.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:32 PM
Well that's a cool idea, and a great solution for the people who wish they could see their sims at work.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I use SimSurgery to overwrite the appearance of the cheerleader (and streaker) with one of the current playable students' appearances so that it looks like them. I do that with a lot of NPCs - the newspaper delivery person is one of the current teens so it looks like he has a job.

is that how in polgannon carrow penhaligan is both a playable sim and a landlord?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald1234
is that how in polgannon carrow penhaligan is both a playable sim and a landlord?

That's exactly how Carrow is playable and a landlord - the landlord isn't really him though. He's an imposter!!!! <plot thickens>

If you think about it, Carrow is the only possible candidate for land-owner in Polgannon though I guess you could say Carrow could employ a land agent to collect rents and tidy gardens (which would actually make more sense but whatever) so perhaps the landlord should have a different appearance - How about Owyn Warleggan: a supercilious but faithful servant who takes a jaundiced view of the activities of the tenants he has to manage - land agent to the Penhaligans?

Forum Resident
#21 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 5:02 PM
I created all of my Townies and University Sims. Every graduating class I age up a few of the college townies and send them to the main neighborhood to live their lives as adults. I then create the same number of new college students to take their place. When my playable Sims age I also age up any available townies in their age group; when one of my playable Sims dies so does a townie. I play a very small populated neighborhood (250 Sims including NPC's and Townies) and this system works well for me. I play my neighborhood like a small town with about 20 owned businesses; so at some point almost everyone has met at some point. However very few of my playable Sims have formed friendships with townies. I make use of the visitor controller a lot in my game.