Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

University Mod for use with the Desk Locator

by MogHughson Posted 3rd Jan 2009 at 10:30 AM - Updated 11th Sep 2010 at 4:48 PM by MogHughson : Replacement .rar after server problem

32 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 24 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 10:39 AM
My student sims are quite socialable, and often leave their door unlockd: a little chit-chat (or maybe romance!) with other students is always welcome, but when they do their assignment on my desk (and usually leave them unfinished) I just hate them!
Thanks a million for this must-have addition to your Desk Locator mod!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 10:53 AM
Yeah, I have the same problem as Numenor describes. (Of course, they also leave thier half-finnished asignments all over the tables in the cafeteria, all over the floor of the bathroom, on the ground outside, etc... lol) I guess for me this will be most useful in dorms/houses where I have more than one playable so they'll actaully use thier own desk instead of everyone else's (because it just makes more sense that way!).
Field Researcher
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 1:06 PM
Thanks loads for this! It annoys me when sims choose to do their homework in whatever room they choose when they have a perfectly good (and clean) desk upstairs.

One question. Will this still work if we make an unplayable sim selectable, make them claim a desk as their own, then make them unselectable again?
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 1:19 PM
My students never use desk even if there are several desks available, they always try to use a locked room desk or with a computer on it.

Your mod is great !

Sadly my students leave the college soon.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 2:39 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 11th Jan 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by inuyasha_babe
Thanks loads for this! It annoys me when sims choose to do their homework in whatever room they choose when they have a perfectly good (and clean) desk upstairs.

One question. Will this still work if we make an unplayable sim selectable, make them claim a desk as their own, then make them unselectable again?

I imagine it would work since I'm sure the same code would be being run to find a surface upon which to do their homework. However I have not tested this because I didn't know you could do this! For my own knowledge in general and so that I can test it with my object too, can you teach me how to do this?

EDIT: It does work to a degree - restrictions now listed in the main post.

Cheers
Mog
Field Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
I imagine it would work since I'm sure the same code would be being run to find a surface upon which to do their homework. However I have not tested this because I didn't know you could do this! For my own knowledge in general and so that I can test it with my object too, can you teach me how to do this?

Cheers
Mog

I don't know if there is another hack out there (besides SB) that does the same thing, but you can make sims (including other playables, townies, downtownies, other uni students, NPC's, etc) selectable with InSIMenator. InSIM allows you to do much more than just make sims selectable/unselectable. Aw heck, you check it out yourself here. You can also find Sim Blender here, which basically does the same thing as InSIM and is not "unsupported", unlike InSIM. I use both InSIM and SB, so if you want my opinion on what would be best to download, I'd suggest Sim Blender. There's been too much kafuffle over the InSIM site, so I'm trying to cut off ties with it. InSIM will eventually disappear from my downloads folder too
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 7:01 PM
The teleporter cat from Simlogical has an option to make sims selectable/unselectable. You can find it here: http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm I use this object and love it by the way.

You can also find an option when shift-clicking with boolprop testingcheatsenabled set to true that makes the sim you shift-click on selectable (and then you can shift-click and choose to make him or her unselectable again). It involves looking through confusing debug menus, but it doesn't require downloading any CC since it's an option that's there already.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 8:01 PM
Thanks to inuyasha_babe and Rosawyn for enlightening me. I will have a play with that when I get back - am now going to be away for a week.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Field Researcher
#10 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 1:02 AM
Neat Mod, thanks for sharing.
Instructor
#11 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 11:38 AM
I love you for making this mod! I have looked for such a mod for a long time! Thanks a lot, you are a genius

1st place in SimCity's Most Eligible Bachelor 2009
2nd in Wicked/Angel male models
2nd in The Ultimate Maxis Sim Makeover
2nd in Bollywood's Next Idol
3rd in Miss Curves
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 12:56 AM
Oh, I love this idea. This is why my YA sims have locked dorm rooms. I would love to let them have unlocked dorms, but finding a random sims homework in their rooms is kind of off-putting. So thank you for making this version for University. My YA sims will benifit from it greatly, just as my kids and teens will once I actually have time to play, again.
Test Subject
#13 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 5:50 PM
umm one thing once a sim was going to do his homework and it was a ncp sim and well he sat at my desk and i kicked him out about the home work i picked it up and put it in his dorm and i hate that thx for this new one ^.^
Test Subject
#14 Old 18th Apr 2009 at 9:10 PM
one thing were is it found under
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zinubes
one thing were is it found under
This download is a global mod so it does not show up in the catalog. You need to download the desk locator as well though which will be in the catalog along with the desks. The link is in the main description.

Cheers
Mog
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 11:27 AM
I LOVE THIS THING its in all my houses and my dorms
i put a table instead of a desk 2 chairs,put the locater on a shelf
my YA sims can have computer and a place to do there college work^_^ thank you 4 makeing such a great thing
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 6:16 PM
Luvvin' it xD

graphic designer. how in the world do i still have this account after so many years?
Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 10:38 PM
Can you make this a zip file I want this and the child/teen version but rar files don't work on my comp
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Oct 2009 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by forrest25
Can you make this a zip file I want this and the child/teen version but rar files don't work on my comp
In order for rar files to work, you will need a program such as WinRAR - see here for details. I used to just want zip files too, until I tried WinRar. It is so much better than zip - and it can work with zip files too - so it's even better. It integrates with File Explorer in a much nicer way than zip too. I suggest you try it.

Cheers
Mog

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 1:27 PM
I love the design, thx.
Test Subject
#21 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 12:21 AM
omg the girl in the pic looks exactly like a sim i made a few minutes ago

Tell me darling, do you wish we'd fall in love?
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 9:28 AM
TY TY TY so much i didnt thank b4 bcos i hadn't tried yet but it works perfectly and thanku so much
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 4:36 AM
can you please put it in a WinZIP format? or just tell me how to use a rar file?

thanks!

"Ladies and gentlemen,
take my advice:
Pull down your pants,
and slide on the ice."
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 6:59 PM
Click on the auto-link the word rar has in your post (or in this post).

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 10:35 PM
There is a workaround if you want to put the dormies' desk locators in their rooms. While dormies can't "see" their own room, they can see rooms within their rooms. So if you put the desk in a separate room that's still in the dorm room, or just wall the desk and chair area off with the room dividers from Pets, they should do their homework there. (I haven't tried this specifically, but I found out about the "room within a room" solution when I was trying to make each dorm room a mini-suite.
Page 1 of 2