Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 11:36 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime
Default DC Cache files
I am trying to delete some Sims 3 Pack files and I was wondering what the DC Cache and DC cache Bacup files were and if they can or should ever be removed. Do they have to do with Sims3Pack files? I did look in the Help section but couldn't find anything about those two files. I did delete one Sim3 pack file but it still shows up in the game. I always remove the 4 cache files (script, CASPart, and compositor ones) as well but am not sure whatelse to do for the Sim3 pack files. Oh I also checked the Virtual Store file and it is empty.
Thanks.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 12:47 AM
DCCache is where all of your Sims3Packs are installed to- if you delete that folder then all of your installed Sims3Packs will vanish from game. The contents of the Sims3Packs are added to one large file in DCCache (you might have more than one if there if you have loads of CC) so you can't manually delete single items, you have to do this via launcher.

DCBackup is a copy of everything that you have installed to DCCache. It is created when you install a Sims3Pack but is not used by the game at all after the install is complete. You can safely delete that with no ill effects.

Deleting the DCBackup might also help your problem, as sometimed uninstalled objects will remain in game if they are still in the DCBackup folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 2:30 AM
So if I make a copy of the Sims 3 Pack files in my game (the downloads & moving this file out of the EA folder) and take out the ones I don't want in there and then delete the DC Cache file all will be unistalled? Can I then reinstall the ones I want and all works well? I mean will it affect my saved games? If I do this without launching the game until it is done will my Sims still have the cc hair and clothes they were using or will I have to make changes once in the game? I hope I explained that right. Anyhow I was trying to figure out why something I thought I had taken out was still there. Now I know why. Hopefully I can get it out without causing anymore problems with the game. It is just one piece of clothing and one hair style but if they are not good I don't want them affecting my game in any way.
Thanks for responding.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 11:53 AM
Yes, you can save a copy of your sims3packs, delete the DCCache and reinstall the Sims3Packs and then your sims will still have their CC. Make a backup of your DCCache AND your Savegames before you do anything, and then you can always put them back if things go wrong!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:43 AM
Thank you. I will do that. Hopefully this time I will actually get these two files out. I wish the downloads were easier to take care of but I guess we work with what we have. I find the package files much easier and would rather have them!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:48 AM
Well, most sims3packs can have the package files extracted - try Delphy's Multi-Extractor. Doesn't work for lots, sims, or worlds, but everything else should be ok.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:54 AM
I just downloaded Delphy's Multi Extractor. Thanks for that info, too!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 11:22 PM Last edited by Okalanit : 13th Nov 2014 at 8:23 AM. Reason: Updating
Default Problem with DC Cache corrupt files not fixing in Dashboard tool!
I have a problem whenever I run the dashboard tool. It says that installed worlds inside the dc cache folder are corrupted. It won't fix the files at all, so the question is: Do I need to delete them, or do I leave them in?

Now whenever I run the Dashboard tool, it tells me that my gameplay.package is conflicting with EVERY package file. Should this be okay?
Test Subject
#9 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:36 PM
I'm confused by all this