Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2013 at 12:53 AM
Default sims 1 on windows 8
hello all. i cannot find where to get help about the sims 1 so i'll just put it here and see what happens. i just installed the complete collection on windows 8. it installed fine, nothing seemed wrong. then when i tried starting it up, it just will not work. the start up shows up and i click on 800x600, then i get this message:

fatal error!
the default graphics card doesn't support Thousands of Colors.
exit now.

i've never seen this before. i don't know what it means or how i can change it. any help would be awesome, thanks!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 30th May 2013 at 1:20 AM
I think it's looking for a 16 bit graphics card, and yours only does 32 bit colors. But, that's just a guess.
Scholar
#3 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 8:25 PM
I have been looking for solutions for Sims on Windows 8. I did find a supposed solution for what you are describing but none for my own issue. Going to your desktop shortcut icon and left clicking...then click on properties...then compatibility...run in compatibility with windows xp service pack 2. I have also seen solutions stating that you need to "run as administrator" . My issue is that my fiance' just bought me a laptop with Windows 8 installed and Sims 1 installs fine until Vacation EP...then it says that another version of The Sims has been detected or something along those lines and it needs to be updated. Then it asks if I want to uninstall Vacation. I have not been able to find a solution to this issue. I hope someone here has some insight otherwise my laptop is pretty useless for anything other than facebook

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 3:40 AM
This is very informative, I was wondering if there were trouble getting the complete collection since I have Windows 8.
Test Subject
#5 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 11:22 PM
So if you get that message, the "fatal error! the default graphics card doesn't support Thousands of Colors. exit now." thing here is what worked for me:
Go to the 800x600 Sims 1 and right click. Go down to properties. Go to compatibility and change it to be compatible with Windows 8. Now you when you want to play just right click on the 800x600 and run as administrator and you will do fine! Hope this works for you, too! (I have windows 8 btw)
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:21 AM
I did it successfully on Windows 7