Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 4:36 AM
Default Mermaid shell bra
Removing it. Because I don't like it. I don't need to explain further.

Alas, I was hoping that removing it would be a simple matter, but clearly it is not. The game does not allow any changes to be made to the mermaids' "outfit", and trying to replace the CASP files with the ones for the default female nude torsos did not work.

Does anyone have any advice?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 5:08 AM
Have you tried editing the mermaid outfit file and referencing the nude torso CAS part? Cmar has a tool to edit/create SIMO files. The female mermaid outfit's instance is 0xce90c7eb6c9ce83a. Look for it in IP's FullBuild pacakge, extract it and try to create an override that references the nude torso.

I don't if it'll work, but it's worth a try!
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 5:20 AM
Weird... I was able to change the mermaid top to a different top.
Then again, I used twallan's mods to do it. First forced into the 'special' mermaid outfit... and from there into the stylist screen.
Had her go changing in and out of it a few times as she swam from beach to beach, and it always was what I set it to.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 10:16 AM
If you do manage it, could you share how or upload a mod somewhere for the rest of us who don't like the shells? I have no advice on the matter, I'm just shamelessly asking for my own benefit.

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

-- Terry Pratchett, Jingo
Forum Resident
#5 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 7:12 PM
They drive me nuts because they defy physics. They don't have a strap or anything.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
They drive me nuts because they defy physics. They don't have a strap or anything.

They work like pasties.
Theorist
#7 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 8:40 PM
Magic seashell pasties = nuts.
Legs that morph into a fish tail = perfectly logical.

Gonna have to try the Twallan's trick when I get home. Be gone, magic seashell pasties!

Resident wet blanket.
Theorist
#8 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Derotis
Weird... I was able to change the mermaid top to a different top.
Then again, I used twallan's mods to do it. First forced into the 'special' mermaid outfit... and from there into the stylist screen.
Had her go changing in and out of it a few times as she swam from beach to beach, and it always was what I set it to.

I wasn't able to get this to work. When she is in mermaid form, if I go into Stylist using MasterController, she has 3 outfits under Special and it shows the first one. First one is the snorkeling one. 2nd one is scuba diving. 3rd one is retro scuba diving. What am I missing?

I also tried going into Edit in CAS under Advnaced, but didn't see the mermaid outfit there. Exiting even without saving borked my game to where she couldn't change into a mermaid any more, so I had to reload.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 1:06 AM
I'm trying to make a mod for this, but it's not simple!
Theorist
#10 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 3:36 AM
Hmmm, well, I don't know if it will help and I don't know if it's unique to my game, but I figured out why I couldn't get it working.

1. Going into Stylist at all via MasterController screws something up to where the "mermaid outfit" can't be used and needs to be reset. Mermaid will be unable to turn into mermaid form.
2. The mermaid outfit can be reset by going to the mirror and choosing "Set Scale Color" and OK. This creates a NEW mermaid outfit under category "Special".
3. I couldn't even edit the mermaid outfit in Stylist, because mine was Special 4, and stylist can only edit outfits 1 thru 3. However, mermaid outfit doesn't have to be Special 4, it can be Special 3, 5, 6, etc. Whenever "Set Scale Color" generates a new mermaid outfit, it'll be the next higher number in the Special category. The game keeps track of which one it is. Even if mermaid outfit is Special 3, I still couldn't edit it due to previously mentioned point #1.
4. It will break the mermaid outfit if an outfit in category Special is deleted that had a lower number than the mermaid outfit. This is because that will renumber any outfit above it. If the game assigned the mermaid outfit to be Special 4, it has to always be Special 4.

I was able to modify my mermaid's outfit using a combination of Awesomemod and MasterController. It took several steps:
1. Copied the mermaid outfit, Special 4 in my case, to Swimwear 2 using awesomemod command, "outfitcp Special.4 Swimwear.2".
2. Went into MasterController's Stylist to select a new top in Swimwear 2.
3. Deleted Special 4 using MasterController's "Remove Outfit". This is because going into Stylist in step 2 borked the existing mermaid outfit, so might as well delete the borked outfit.
4. Went to mirror and selected "Set Scale Color" to get a new, working mermaid outfit in Special 4.
5. Copied edited copy of mermaid outfit in Swimwear 2 into Special 4 by using awesomemod command, "outfitcp Swimwear.2 Special.4".
6. Swimwear 2 can now be deleted if desired.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Jul 2013 at 12:04 AM
Using "Stylist" via MasterController worked! For some reason there's a strange gap at the waist, though... weird. Oh well.
Theorist
#12 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 1:00 AM
Am I the only one for which MC's Stylist borks the mermaid outfit?

Resident wet blanket.
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 10:03 PM
For questions about how to achieve this via a new mod, try the CAS Parts forum under Create

Leaving thread here for those working on resolving it using existing mods... you might get additional help with the NRaas stuff over at Twallan's site though
Forum Resident
#14 Old 18th Jul 2013 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
They work like pasties.

Pasties stay on with glue or tape, though.

Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Magic seashell pasties = nuts.
Legs that morph into a fish tail = perfectly logical.

Gonna have to try the Twallan's trick when I get home. Be gone, magic seashell pasties!

Hey, I hate the legs, too. But this thread didn't ask about those!
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme

Hey, I hate the legs, too. But this thread didn't ask about those!

They stay on because of the suckers they conceal.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bookdust
They stay on because of the suckers they conceal.

Kinky! *

*Sorry, guys. It's almost 3 AM here and I tend to get silly when I'm tired. Guess it's time to head to bed!

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#17 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 12:57 PM
The first thing popped up in to my thought when I saw mermaid outfit was, "get rid of that shell bra, please."

I'm a polite pervert?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 8:22 PM
If anyone wants to know, you can change entirely the mermaid outfit including the tail using MC. First, your sim has to be a mermaid ofcourse, 2nd, have them swim so they will transform into a mermaid, then you click MC and go to stylist. From there you can choose different tops, and choose different tail bottoms (if you have custom tails). If your mermaid has more than one special outfit, you need to delete the others first, but make sure to leave one.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#19 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 8:25 PM
Quote:
And as a result of this, they don't hold yer tits up. Which EA cheerfully failed to appreciate.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One Minute Ninja'd
#20 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
And as a result of this, they don't hold yer tits up. Which EA cheerfully failed to appreciate.

But there's no gravity in Simland.
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 8:43 AM
I'm really surprised I haven't seen more mermaid stuff on here.
Test Subject
#22 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 11:50 PM
Default Scuba working!
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Hmmm, well, I don't know if it will help and I don't know if it's unique to my game, but I figured out why I couldn't get it working.

1. Going into Stylist at all via MasterController screws something up to where the "mermaid outfit" can't be used and needs to be reset. Mermaid will be unable to turn into mermaid form.
2. The mermaid outfit can be reset by going to the mirror and choosing "Set Scale Color" and OK. This creates a NEW mermaid outfit under category "Special".
3. I couldn't even edit the mermaid outfit in Stylist, because mine was Special 4, and stylist can only edit outfits 1 thru 3. However, mermaid outfit doesn't have to be Special 4, it can be Special 3, 5, 6, etc. Whenever "Set Scale Color" generates a new mermaid outfit, it'll be the next higher number in the Special category. The game keeps track of which one it is. Even if mermaid outfit is Special 3, I still couldn't edit it due to previously mentioned point #1.
4. It will break the mermaid outfit if an outfit in category Special is deleted that had a lower number than the mermaid outfit. This is because that will renumber any outfit above it. If the game assigned the mermaid outfit to be Special 4, it has to always be Special 4.

I was able to modify my mermaid's outfit using a combination of Awesomemod and MasterController. It took several steps:
1. Copied the mermaid outfit, Special 4 in my case, to Swimwear 2 using awesomemod command, "outfitcp Special.4 Swimwear.2".
2. Went into MasterController's Stylist to select a new top in Swimwear 2.
3. Deleted Special 4 using MasterController's "Remove Outfit". This is because going into Stylist in step 2 borked the existing mermaid outfit, so might as well delete the borked outfit.
4. Went to mirror and selected "Set Scale Color" to get a new, working mermaid outfit in Special 4.
5. Copied edited copy of mermaid outfit in Swimwear 2 into Special 4 by using awesomemod command, "outfitcp Swimwear.2 Special.4".
6. Swimwear 2 can now be deleted if desired.

Thanks god! Finally I can scuba dive calmly with my mermaid, wearing a (decorative) snorkel and my custom bra!