Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 2:57 AM
Default Why are my videos so dark?
My actual gameplay looks fine. But my videos are a different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oWm7YO0Y4U&t=1889s Here's an example. Why do they look like this? I don't understand. I have a history of screenshots looking dark too.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 9:54 AM
Do you use any kind of lighting/shadows mod for the Sims 3?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 11:22 AM
That's normal, I get that too. It's a game limitation due to the way the renderer works. You have to use Fraps or a similar tool to properly capture in-game footage.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 1:24 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 23rd Jan 2018 at 1:34 PM.
Gamma correction won't help either. Trust me, I've spent an afternoon mucking around with OBS footage in Premiere Pro and I wasn't able to fix it. Looked bad even with my best efforts. OBS FUBARs your footage, simple as that. It butchers your contrast, it messes up the color channels, and the dynamic range is beyond horrible. Now I hadn't even heard of dynamic range a year ago, but ever since I did I've become VERY picky about it.

TS3 doesn't have great dynamic range by default, but with a bit of clever tonemapping you can get a pretty convincing picture out of it anyway. And I don't know about you but when I was filming that Let's play of mine I thought it was way too pretty not to have a true-to-"life" recording of it. I spent €750 to be able to have Sim sunrises that make you wear sunglasses, and if I have to use the clumsy Fraps to record it, so be it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 10:43 PM
It's not OBS but xSplit Gamecaster. I can never figure out OBS. I also don't have any light/shadows mods.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 10:48 PM
The same is true for xSplit.

insert signature here
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 11:32 PM
So, how would someone help with this? Which way do I gamma correct?

(also what do you think of my videos aside from the dark?)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 11:51 PM
I had this problem when I tried to record with Mirillis Action. It just couldn't handle the game properly. (I'm still mad I paid money for this stuff >.<)
So maybe using different software is worth a thought?

I tried pretty much everything but in the end the guys at the official mirillis forums said that they couldn't help me...
Fraps works and I'm trying OBS today.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 1:43 AM
This is about the only software I have. As I said, OBS just is incomprehensible to me.
Test Subject
#12 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 8:11 AM
Maybe you can edit your videos after you record them?..

Here, 1st screen shot is made by pressing C in game, 2nd is a Windows screen shot. Same frame. Very dark due to Outdoor Lighting Tweaks v2.2 by dDefinder.
3rd one I tweaked with Photoshop, the UI is too bright even...
Screenshots
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm kinda confused, why is the 2nd one so dark? The outdoor lighting tweak is not an overlay is it? Which one do you see while you play?

Hehe, you had me curious, so I took out the mod and tried taking screenshots.
Yup, the game is dark without the Lighting mod. My bad. I don't know why I was thinking that...
So apparently I have the same problem as the author of the thread. :D
To answer your question, the one I see while I play is the lighter one.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#15 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 9:17 AM
Lots of people use obs to record, and they have videos with the same light as in the game.

Simsupply made a tutorial on how to use obs. There might also be others out there. I'm on my phone, so I can't help with the link atm. I might find it later.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 9:45 AM Last edited by daisylee : 24th Jan 2018 at 9:59 AM.
I am totally curious now so will go and record a video in my game to see what happens. I do not recall them being dark in the few I have done in the past. Will see what happens now.

edit: I just did a video and it is just the same as my game. Done in the daytime and the video is no darker than in my game. I use no lighting mods, if that makes any difference. (?)
dodgy builder
#17 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 10:42 AM
I did tons of videos on sims3. I used Fraps mostly, but also a few at the end with obs i think. They all looked like the game.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 6:26 PM
I just turned on the camera in the game and did a short use of it and turned it off. The quality is not very good but I have zero idea what the settings are now as I do not do them. But the lighting was fine.
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmileeFowler
Maybe you can edit your videos after you record them?..

That's a bugaboo since I have no idea how to do that. That's why so many of my videos are in different parts.
Inventor
Original Poster
#20 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 3:18 AM
Ok, I looked it up and can't find anything on how to "gamma correct" on xSplit. Turning up the brightness of the game itself won't help, will it? I'd rather avoid that if at all possible because I'm very photosensitive.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 11:37 AM
You'll have to use a compatible recorder. That means Fraps or the Nvidia thingy. Game Capture or whatever.

insert signature here
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 11:18 PM
I have Nvidia. And as I said before, my screencaps are dark too, so I doubt it's exclusively the recorder either.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:10 AM
What do you use to take the screencaps?

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#24 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:28 AM
google your screen model and dark screenshots, and see what comes up
Mad Poster
#25 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 1:58 AM
Nothing useful will come up, it's not screen-related. That's to say, there is no screen that will not give you this issue.

insert signature here
Page 1 of 2