Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 9:47 PM
Default Holiday Shopping
It getting dangerously close...Black Friday will pounce upon us while we're digesting that big meal of protein, carbs and sauce-based, adulterated plant matter.

I have a game plan, but first backstory.

After a screw up, mom instituted Christmas Club for 2013. In 2014, the project was abandoned during the divorce fight as my father's drinking and my money to my parents for Christmas covered the 10 bottles of beer a DAY. We decided to not allow me to give gifts and my mom thinks sharing a wish list is bad form to my NJ relatives. However, I reject clothing gift as I am plus sized and most of plus sized clothing for women is frumpy and make me look like an old lady, so if I receive trendy clothing, the likelihood of it being the wrong size is galactically huge. My mother has forgotten we don't talk in person to these relatives anymore, if not rarely. We are practically isolated.

And Now, the gifts.
*Nintendo Animal Crossing amiibo
*All the games in Animal Crossing's universe
*A few packs of amiibo cards
*A 90 card slot wallet for holding my bus pass, my ID (which always made me look drunk even as a minor), my paper insurance ID that nearly was melted by the heavy rains the day my friend Robert the Bunny Man died on Halloween 2014, my debit card, my food money card, loyalty cards, price reduction cards, rewards cards and gift cards
*5 BD-XL 100GB discs for burning.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 11:02 PM
I do all my Christmas shopping in August. I've almost finished, just I still don't know what to buy my Father-In-Law (I got really personalised gifts for the rest of my fiances family, but I can't think of anything he'd want) and I'm waiting for a cute panda coat I bought for my little sister to eventually come in the post, I really hope it hasn't got lost, because otherwise I'll have to buy her something else (Bought it from ebay, it got lost the first time and the seller sent out a replacement... which still isn't here) - and she kinda wants the elephant sylvanian families family - which is good because I bought my other sister the sheep one so they can play together, but also I'd like it if she had a really good warm winter coat.

I only buy for my fiance's family (parents, sister, brother & his fiancee), my siblings, my Dad and Step-Mother, and of course my fiance. It's too bad the newest Digimon game for ps4 comes out in February, I got him a ps4 but he only has Fallout4 for it so far. Maybe I'll buy him the J-Stars game - but we both wanna play it so I'd need to buy another controller and controllers are hella expensive.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 11:31 PM
I never know what to get anyone. I found a cute little German Shepard ornament for my mom, but as far as my dad goes, I'm always lost. I'll probably get him a six pack of some kind of fancy beer or something.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Inventor
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 9:34 AM
I know i'm getting my baby sister and baby nephew a pack of 4 hand puppets. My sister's mum had a lion one and I remember her saying she looked all over for more like it, so I got the jungle theme one for her, and got my nephew a farm theme pack.

But everyone else??

No clue.

Well, I kinda wanna get my partners brother a dakimakura pillow (commonly known as "waifu pillow") as sort of a joke but my partner wont ask him who his favourite female anime character is. Even as a joke though, I'm pretty sure he'd love it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 10:40 AM
I've started my shopping and have figured out a few of the people on my list. Panda, are you saying you don't get gifts for anyone? Do you shop with one of your parents for other people?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 11:17 AM
VerDeTerre,

I had a really bad track record of gift giving, my mother is at the point where I insist and she is like "For the love of God, STOP!"

I am usually empty handed and she won't accept homemade gifts like knit or crochet blanket which with supplies alone, would set you back a couple hundred.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 11:36 AM
Yeah, I get it about homemade gifts, especially things involving yarn. It is expensive. Would gift giving work for you if you talked over your ideas with one of your parents and they went shopping with you? Maybe your folks could give you their own "wish list"?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 12:47 PM
Right now, she's going on about her ideal of gift giving and is considering ending the practice of gift giving to me and my father, whom she thinks we don't understand the concept.

Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nymphetamine
and for anyone who cannot come, I bake either cookies or brownies, something along those lines.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Right now, she's going on about her ideal of gift giving and is considering ending the practice of gift giving to me and my father, whom she thinks we don't understand the concept.
Ouch! I wanted to hit "love" to show sympathy, but didn't want you to think that I "love" that she's saying/doing that. It doesn't seem right to pull that kind of a thing without talking it up early in the year and getting consent.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 12:23 AM
So, now I'm learning about beer glasses because my son mentioned that he might like some. Apparently, glasses are designed with different types of beer in mind. I'm really liking a set I saw that has four each of four different types of glasses. I'm finding all of this fascinating.

dodgy builder
#12 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 11:19 AM
I bought a Japanese kitchen knife for my sister and husband. They like cooking. For their son of 7 I bought a roller coaster build set for little balls, and for his sister, she's 12 I bought a renewable energy buildset. I don't know if she's so technical, but I hope so.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 5:33 PM
I should go to Germany. They have all the things- and there's so much more to choose from. That means I can actually get myself something I really like :O

@Nymphetamine I love how you call @pizza a brat
Instructor
#14 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 7:35 PM Last edited by pizza : 24th Nov 2015 at 7:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
@Nymphetamine I love how you call @pizza a brat

She loves me so it's okay hee hee
Mad Poster
#15 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:49 PM
I usually try to find something the person I'm getting a present for actually wants or needs, or something I can be reasonably sure fits their personality and taste. I dislike giving something people will just stick in a drawer and never use.

Mom mostly gave up on finding presents for me when I was quite young. Earlier she would always ask me, but now I often do the shopping on behalf of her. Usually she picks a sum, and I go bananas on Amazon, since Xmas presents to me usually consist of food for my ever-growing . It's easier to just do the shopping myself than spending hours teaching her how to use Amazon... I usually also help mom finding gifts for family and family friends.

I do like surprising mom, and she's usually very happy with what I give her. My economy isn't that good, but I try to find things she'll like or things she needs. I usually give her at least one hand-made item, too. Last year (or the year before that), I even made her an advent calendar with little gifts. It's probably the first gift calendar she's ever had, and she loved it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 2:25 PM
I feel really unconfortable about gifts.
When i have the money I usually dont know what to buy because I live so isolated from everyone that I almost dont know what they need.
When I dont have the money (like this year) then a lot of ideas come to my mind but I can't make them reality.

One thing I discovered on the last years is that recieving gifts doesn't make me so happy as before. I just wanna be wiht my parents and enjoy with them all the time I can.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Instructor
#17 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 6:47 AM
I love buying gifts for my family!

As for now I bought a LEGO Wall-E model for my boyfriend, which I was so lucky to find because it went online like a couple months ago and they sold it out immediately so when it came back a few days ago I couldn't miss it. I also got a LEGO Star Wars set for my brother in law which also happens to love LEGO.
Then when I was in Disneyland I got my sister this:

I think it's sooooo cute!!! She's expecting her first child in who will be born in May and I am so happy for her!

Now I am puzzled as usual about my parents. I would have gotten my dad some books but now he has an e-reader so that would feel obsolete. The only things he really likes are tools, as in screwdrivers, wrenches and that kind of stuff. But he basically already has enough for a whole squad of handymen... Any advice?
My mom is also quite difficult. I got away with buying some stuff for her at IKEA last year but I know I can do better this year.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 7:17 AM
Gabrymato - I love the baby onsie! That's simply adorable! Did it come with the booties? I hope you had a wonderful time in Disney Paris! Your boyfriend is lucky as is your brother-in-law. Legos are awesome and the truth is that we don't really ever outgrow our need to play.

Dad's can be difficult because if they are working men, they often don't have a lot of time to develop hobbies and interests outside of work and can often afford anything they may like. If he has enough tools, I'd stay clear of that. Time is one of those gifts that never goes stale. Maybe you can offer him time shared working on a project of his choosing or a lunch or outing date for the two of you. You could pick out a book you like or have heard great reviews on and get it on his...is it a kindle? More suggestions under spoiler

I always think Moms are easier just because I always feel I'm easy, but I guess the guys in my life don't know that yet, so I'll let you know that I enjoy accessories - scarves, gloves, hats, berets, caps, socks, etc... I love anything that is artistic or clever and
Moms also appreciate the gift of time with their sons, too, so a promise of a date together is always a great idea.
#19 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 7:47 AM
Rightly or wrongly, when I choose gifts, I pick what I think someone would love, rather than need or want, if that makes sense ... I believe, personally, that gifts should be indulgences or little luxuries. The sort of thing you say 'oooh!' over, pick up, desire and put back, because it's not practical or you can't justify it; yet you secretly long for in that corner of your heart that is reserved for beautiful things you'd love ...
Instructor
#20 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 1:02 PM
I already finished mine. Either I am making people their own Bluray and DvD copies of good Tv shows and movies that have not been given a home video release yet, or all the gifts are in a drawer I keep year round where every time I find something at a thrift shop or on sale that I think would make a good birthday or Christmas gift I pick it up and stick it in there for later. So I have finished my shopping suckers!!!!

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
#21 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre

I literally just printed your post and will keep it in my coat's pocket this weekend when I'll browse for more stuff!
Thank you for taking the time to write all those great suggestions *hugs you* :lovestruc

Unfortunately the onesie didn't come with the booties... I actually didn't see them at the store, otherwise I'd have bought them!
I always used to buy my dad liquor because he often enjoys a drink after dinner, but now he's having trouble with his eyes and he can't drink more than a glass of wine now and then, due to his medications. When there's a chance to spend time with my parents, I do: as I live in another city, though, that only happens on every other weekend or holidays. I think I am going for your history suggestion. He loves the history of our hometown so I may get him something revolving around that...

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:50 AM
Not this season again.

It's the season where cute toys are everywhere in the dollar stores that my nieces would just love.

What do these people MEAN that I don't get a bulk discount if I buy the whole store?!

All this joking, of course, covers up the fact that I have no. clue. at. all. what to buy all my folks for Christmas. Of what I'll be able to afford to buy. I DO like Nymphetamine's idea of baking cookies for my folks. I may do something along those lines.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
I literally just printed your post and will keep it in my coat's pocket this weekend when I'll browse for more stuff!
Thank you for taking the time to write all those great suggestions *hugs you* :lovestruc
I'm so glad you found them helpful *hugs you right back*. A local history is a great idea! I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
I always used to buy my dad liquor because he often enjoys a drink after dinner, but now he's having trouble with his eyes and he can't drink more than a glass of wine now and then, due to his medications.
Yeah, when people get older, they often have health concerns that curtail a lot of foods and spirits. Older people are also often scaling back on everything and have so much that it can be hard to shop for them. My great aunt and uncle are in a new, smaller space and getting on in years. For their combined birthday (they share a birthday and it's coincidence that forms part of their love story), I sent them artisan soaps and linen guest towels. For Christmas, I'm sending them a themed dish towel that corresponds to their area and a wooden soup ladle and spatula.

Quote:
When there's a chance to spend time with my parents, I do: as I live in another city, though, that only happens on every other weekend or holidays.
Your parents are blessed with a wonderful son. Don't worry so much about what you get them. You're giving of your self many times over. :lovestruc