Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 11:24 PM
Default Bad News Regarding Chuckimation
To my fan base,
I found out the hard way this project may be delayed by a month. My grocery cart, which I use to carry groceries home, lost a wheel a while back. Today that axle broke. It's not even a first because the extra basket broke when we put it away the first time. This costs money.

Also, I'm suffering from depression, so I may have to take time off. This costs time.

I have to care for my self and if I don't, I could hurt myself in a way that is not obvious at first.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 12:11 AM
Aren't there other ways to carry your groceries home than by cart? Carrying plastic/paper bags is most common, but I prefer a backpack, as it saves the hands and arms, also leaving them free to open doors and such. Other ways can be a suitcase/bag on wheels if you happen to have one, a bike (put the bags on the handles), taking the bus, or asking a good friend to pick you up by car. There are lots of ways if you get a bit creative. If you feel carrying lots of bags is awful, don't shop more than you can actually carry. If you're living alone you rarely do need to shop more than you can carry.

As for depression, being alone and miserable rarely helps in the long run, even if it might seem to help at first. Taking time off big, stresssful projects can help, though.

(by the way, what's Chuckimation?)
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 12:22 AM
The answer to your question @simmer22 is post 16 on The doll hobby thread (I think)

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 6:37 AM
Well, the packing is nice, but I buy with a month of food in mind and they're dry goods.

I described the fragility of how close I am to crying: I am like a living glass sculpture who, one false move and I shatter.

Chuckimation, in essence, is like playing with dolls with focus on the dolls moving in front of the camera. There are countless videos on YouTube devoted to this art. My favorite are the ones made for the crafting channel MyFroggyStuff as the majority are featurettes that showcase the craft or the custom doll made for the video.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 4:58 PM
What about a wagon? You could probably find one for $20 or so and secure the groceries with bungee cords.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 6:26 PM
PQ don't supermarkets do deliveries? So wouldn't that be easier for you if you buy large quantities?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 6:56 PM
About the suggestions...I can't bring red wagons onto a bus as it may block the aisle for safety reasons. Also, delivering is very expensive as the prices go up quite a bit and I can't use my food benefits card for deliveries.

As you can guess, we've reached an impasse.

However, my father is starting me on light therapy. Using a light box, a special lamp that mimics sunlight, it will be used to fight with depression and give me a fighting chance to get better.

Scholar
#8 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 11:09 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 6th Nov 2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: edited for coherency.
I googled grocery carts for you. And I've got a scathingly brilliant idea!

You could return one of your new dolls, and use part of the money to buy a new cart!

Easy Peasy!

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ndow=1&tbm=shop
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
I googled grocery carts for you. And I've got a scathingly brilliant idea!

You could return one of your new dolls, and use part of the money to buy a new cart!

Easy Peasy!

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ndow=1&tbm=shop

Ever since the scalping drought of 2012, I don't return dolls. Serial returns make me like my mom and I hate turning into her.

Scholar
#10 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 12:58 AM
When needs must...

You have items that aren't necessary, and you don't have an item that is necessary.

Another idea would be to borrow money from your parents till your next check, and pay them back on the day your check arrives.
You could hand over your new dolls as collateral. :lovestruc

I'm sure you'll find a solution.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 1:34 AM
Dolly Folly #1 A Grand Day Out

Besides, all I can think about is the October 2005 fire that destroyed Aardman Animations' models since it was founded. I miss that orange rocket from A Grand Day Out. It was actually based on an invention the creator's father made one summer. Nick Park's father was the kind of inventor who was "Never say die!" and persist to make every invention work. In fact, Wallace is heavily based on Nick's father in the strictest sense of his quirks. Gromit is based on Nick Park himself and his facial expressions. The expressions were actually the deciding factor in whether or not he'd have a voice or remain silent when reviewing the footage during the 7 year production of Wallace and Gromit's A Grand Day Out. It took 7 years, because half the animation was done all by Nick's self. By the mid 1980s, Nick needed help as an animator and Aardman Animation needed an animator. He joined and the condition of working on other projects as well as A Grand Day Out was set. After all was said and done, A Grand Day Out debuted on BBC in 1989. It was up for an Oscar, but lost to Creature Comforts, a short combining foreigner commentary, hospital patient commentary and shut-in commentary and synchronizing animals to better convey the trapped and culturally shocked feeling. This was actually one of Nick Park's other projects

#12 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 2:38 AM
Do you need to haul so much stuff all at once, PQ?

Why not go out more often (get that sunshine you seem to need to lift your mood, on nice days) buy less and save yourself some cash too? Is there any real necessity to buy for a month all at once? You live in a civilized area, its not like you're stuck out in the wilderness - you have public transport. I only have myself and my son at home and I shop, more or less, for a week at a time - I don't consider it necessary to stock pile like we're Elves under siege or something.

On a side note, check that your current meds and medical conditions aren't contraindications for the use of light boxes.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 9:24 PM
I'm responding to the light therapy rather well. However, all your suggestions on carts are terrible when they coincide with the conditions as they apply to me.

I am currently doing chores today to earn back $100 I would otherwise lose to my mother for dishwashing services. After about 2 years of lost wages from a "because I said so"-based subscription, I told my mother on Halloween that enough was enough and I have to take charge for the cleaning. I otherwise make a lousy housewife.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Nov 2015 at 10:33 PM
I thought Thranduil Oropherion's suggestion was quite good. I don't see why you can't just buy less stuff at once and spend more time outside, it saves getting a light box and when you're trying to save money like you mentioned in the other thread, it seems like a win-win situation.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 1:20 AM
I live in Seattle area, where the sun rarely shines during days in November and the daylight hours are extremely short in this part of the contiguous 48. The only reason I bring up location is for clarity. Seattle is not known for sunny days, only rainy ones.

The Dark Period is always unsettling for me, because when I was 5, I came face to face with a monster identified in my adulthood as El Cuco. That vision was one that made my bedtime difficult for the next 23 years. Many nightmarish kin in the dark have invaded my dreams and as I grew, so did my list of fears.

In the attribution to Jon Snow "Winter is Coming"

Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
I'm responding to the light therapy rather well. However, all your suggestions on carts are terrible when they coincide with the conditions as they apply to me.

Gee, thanks for calling our suggestions terrible.

That probably wasn't your intention though, so a more polite way to say that would have been 'your suggestions on carts are good, but not when they coincide..." or "your suggestions will not work because of the conditions..."

Or pretty much any other way than "your suggestions are terrible".

Scholar
#17 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 1:46 AM Last edited by tsyokawe : 11th Nov 2015 at 2:07 AM. Reason: remarks deleted - only the facts remain.
1. Even when it's cloudy, there is MUCH more light outdoors than there is indoors.

2. Cloudy or not, exercising (e.g. walking) outdoors is beneficial.
The sun doesn't need to be shining for you to benefit from the sun's light filtering through the clouds.
You'll notice that plants do not die out from cloudy days...they still receive UV light - up to 80%, depending.

3. And it's early November; your days in Seattle aren't that short yet.
Certainly not too short to find time to walk outdoors. Like me, you have about 10 hours between dawn and dusk.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
Gee, thanks for calling our suggestions terrible.

That probably wasn't your intention though, so a more polite way to say that would have been 'your suggestions on carts are good, but not when they coincide..." or "your suggestions will not work because of the conditions..."

Or pretty much any other way than "your suggestions are terrible".

Sorry...I have been trying to correct my speech.

Well, that's another blown opportunity

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 2:50 AM
Apology accepted.

#20 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 3:18 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 11th Nov 2015 at 5:47 AM.

I am currently doing chores today to earn back $100 I would otherwise lose to my mother for dishwashing services. After about 2 years of lost wages from a "because I said so"-based subscription, I told my mother on Halloween that enough was enough and I have to take charge for the cleaning. I otherwise make a lousy housewife.

This reminds me of when I was still living at home in my late teens and very, very early 20s.

I gave my mother a lump sum of money every month to cover food and bills and I did around the house any of the 'man jobs' that needed doing, as my father wasn't around to do them. So that was the garden, painting, decorating or whatever she asked me to do. I didn't even consider something as insignificant as doing the dishes or cooking, or going to help my mother each week with the grocery shop as a chore, because it's what responsible adults do in a house sharing situation.

There comes a time when we have to act as responsible adults and pay our way; whether its by giving them a sum each month, or buying your own clothes or doing chores or whatever is needed around the house; to expect parents to keep giving to you, long after you've reached the age of responsibility, can only smack of selfishness.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 1:46 PM
I live in Seattle area, where the sun rarely shines during days in November and the daylight hours are extremely short in this part of the contiguous 48. The only reason I bring up location is for clarity. Seattle is not known for sunny days, only rainy ones.

The Dark Period is always unsettling for me, because when I was 5, I came face to face with a monster identified in my adulthood as El Cuco. That vision was one that made my bedtime difficult for the next 23 years. Many nightmarish kin in the dark have invaded my dreams and as I grew, so did my list of fears.

In the attribution to Jon Snow "Winter is Coming"

I can't relate to this. I live in Britain and according to the internet, our weather is almost identical - but we have it all year round
I presume you can't take anti-depressants or if you do, you aren't responding well to them because you're on light therapy, but as someone else said being outside will help. Exercise is really beneficial and even if you can't see the sun, the natural light of outside should help more than an artificial light source.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Theorist
#22 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 4:45 PM
I think I can relate to it. The past couple years, I've felt significantly more depression in the winter, especially after the change back to standard time. I've come to loathe standard time. I wish my state, local, or whatever government would just leave it daylight savings all year. During standard time, basically I wake up, go straight to work when it's barely daylight. I'm stuck in my windowless cave for 9-hours. Then by the time I go home, it's already dark. Feels like I didn't even have a day. I hate it. I don't know if light box therapy could work for me, since for me it's kind of more a mindset thing. I get home in the dark, feels like the day is already over with nothing to show for it but 9-hours of being in a windowless cave under harsh fluorescent lighting.

I have never been to or lived in an area where people own their own shopping carts. So there are shopping cart stores and repair shops for them? I really need to travel more.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 9:37 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 14th Nov 2015 at 8:28 PM. Reason: To tell of equipment upgrade
Also, technical difficulties involving my phone's camera in terms of power as I'm currently working to fix it. I'm testing to see if the phone will charge and... it just did. A small victory for learning to reset the device every so often.

EDIT: Nevermind the phone was a dick and gave me false hope.

UPDATE: I checked out that this new phone I got yesterday has video camera capabilities of recording at 4K, a definition much higher than the standard of HD on most electronic video devices. Sadly, most of my electronic equipment is outdated and that means the video would stay on my phone or until I upgrade.

Still, my dad is a wee bit jealous of my phone as it's a model newer than his.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I can't relate to this. I live in Britain and according to the internet, our weather is almost identical - but we have it all year round
I presume you can't take anti-depressants or if you do, you aren't responding well to them because you're on light therapy, but as someone else said being outside will help. Exercise is really beneficial and even if you can't see the sun, the natural light of outside should help more than an artificial light source.

I am on antidepressants, but I'm a sufferer of Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD and I'm aware of the irony and coincidence of the disease.

I haven't been outside due to what seemed like non-stop rain and then came the nasty windstorm that knocked the power out for 18 hours, so I had to board the bus to not only get a bottle of soda at a reasonable price but charge my phone as the town I stopped in had power. I ordered some ice water to at least rehydrate after taking a rather long walk via a detour and then winding through the store, hoping I didn't face a Minotaur. (nod to my Greek heritage and how labyrinthian the store was)

Banned
#25 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 6:43 AM
Also, technical difficulties involving my phone's camera in terms of power as I'm currently working to fix it. I'm testing to see if the phone will charge and... it just did. A small victory for learning to reset the device every so often.

EDIT: Nevermind the phone was a dick and gave me false hope.

UPDATE: I checked out that this new phone I got yesterday has video camera capabilities of recording at 4K, a definition much higher than the standard of HD on most electronic video devices. Sadly, most of my electronic equipment is outdated and that means the video would stay on my phone or until I upgrade.

Still, my dad is a wee bit jealous of my phone as it's a model newer than his.

And my phone is also quite dissapointing and broken, too.