Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:07 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Trouble Extracting Sims
I wanted to move some of my Sims from one neighborhood to another, and I wanted to use the (supposedly) "easy" safe method of extracting the Sims' appearance using SimPE. I followed the steps in this tutorial:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...act_In-Game_Sim

The problem is when I got to the end and it said "export" it wanted me to "save" the package somewhere. There were no further instructions about what to do after you click export, so I didn't save anything. However, my Sims didn't show up in CAS. I figured there was another step.

I went back into SimPE and this time I clicked "save." It appeared to be resaving the package where it originally was in my Neighborhood files. However, now my Sims don't show up in my neighborhood, and they aren't in my SavedSims folder or CAS.

So does anyone know first, where my Sims disappeared to, and second, how do I actually get them to export so their appearance will show up in CAS?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eveysmom
There were no further instructions about what to do after you click export, so I didn't save anything.

No, but then this is written :
Click Export.

And you're done! It's that easy! Your Sim will now be in your Saved Sims folder and show up in BS and CAS.
I admit, this is not the most detailed tutorial, but this is how it works.
You click export, then the window pop up, and you click save. This saves your exported sim into your SavedSims folder.
At this step though, i rename my sim, before i hit save. So instead of 5yuhj6789kdhdyeito679.package, my sim has a name. I will usually add ToDelete to his name.
I will then clone that sim in Bodyshop, and re-save him. He is now all cleaned up and ready to be played with.
I close BS, open my saved sims folder, delete the ToDelete one, and rename the last edited one, since I know who he is.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:20 AM
You can save anywhere, but you have to put the files somewhere in your SavedSims or Downloads folder anyway, so you might as well save there. Just remember to remove the extracted files when you're done, as only the Bodyshop clones are safe to use.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:29 AM
The problem is that I did click "save" when the pop up window appeared - except now my Sims are missing and they don't show up in my SavedSims folder or in CAS. They are also not showing up in SimPE either, which is freaking me out a little.

Are you supposed to save them in a particular folder?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:36 AM
I am sure that it is saved in Saved Sims by default, if you do not tell SimPE to save it elsewhere. of course, if you did not change the name SimPE gave your exported sim when you clicked save, you will have a hard time finding it as the name file is always gibberish. If your savedSims folder is empty, you'll find it right away, otherwise...it might take time.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:47 AM
Okay, I went back and started the process again. The folder it takes me to "save" the character in is N001 Characters, and the file name that appears looks like this "N001_User00675.package." If I rename this and put it in my SavedSims folder, will the characters appear in CAS? (This still doesn't explain what happened to my missing characters, but at this point I'm afraid to do anything for fear it's just going to delete my Sims.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 1:50 AM
That should not be happening. Are you sure you followed the tutorial? I read it, and I cannot see why it would take you to N001 folder, or why it would save your sim as a N001 user. This is wrong.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:08 AM
I went to Tools/Neighborhood/SimSurgery. This brings up a pop up box. One the left side it says "Sim Pool" and shows all the characters in my game. On the right side, it says Patient Sim, Archetype Sim, and Skintone Only. The first two have the word "use" under them. I clicked "use" under Patient Sim because it has the option to Export in blue at the top of the box (Archetype Sim does not). Then I clicked on Export. It brings up the pop up box in the N001 Characters and has me saving the file as "N001_User00675.package."
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:14 AM
Ok..this is strange, and I have no clue why it directs you there. But, you can change the path yourself, so change it to your Savedsims folder, and give a name to your sim. You will then find it easely. As Simmer 22 said, don't forget to clone that sim in Bodyshop before using it in your game, and for more safety, delete the extracted one, keep only the clone.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:21 AM
After you have extracted your sim you also need to clone them in Body shop, do not use extracted sims in your game, they come with bits of data are buggy and will corrupt your hood. Cleaning cleans them.

Also don't use that tutorial, use this one: https://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/16091.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
After you have extracted your sim you also need to clone them in Body shop, do not use extracted sims in your game, they come with bits of data are buggy and will corrupt your hood. Cleaning cleans them.

Also don't use that tutorial, use this one: https://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/16091.html

Thank you for the link to the other tutorial.

Do you know what happened to my Sims that disappeared?
Scholar
#12 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eveysmom
Then I clicked on Export. It brings up the pop up box in the N001 Characters and has me saving the file as "N001_User00675.package."

That would overwrite the existing sim, if you did that then the existing sim's character file is likely to be corrupt and the GUID probably removed. When your game loads a neighbourhood and fails to find a legit character file for a sim it will permanently remove that sim from the neighbourhood.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 6:54 PM
Actually, it sounds like you are possibly overwriting a sim's appearance and not saving an extracted sim. Still, it shouldn't be taking you to N001. If you saved there, you likely corrupted the neighbourhood.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 1st May 2018 at 11:22 AM
First, you need to extract the sim, it's been a few years since I have done it, but the sim should save (I think) in the saved sims folder. Make sure to name it, not the name that SimPE gives it. Then you open body shop and clone the sim, deleting the extracted one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~