Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 12:30 PM
Default Top texture bleeding through bottom
Questionable title aside, I'm having some issues with editing a Store top. So far I've filled in the straps and edited it to be 4-channel recolorable, but I'm having an issue with the first channel (the under part of the top) bleeding through some clothes. This only happens with some bottoms - as far as I can tell, the ones that may be skin-tight or closer to the body mesh?

The funny part is that even the unedited Store top is doing this. But what's odd is that it only does this with three bottoms: two from Island Paradise (shorts and skirt) and one from Supernatural (pants). Whether the problem is with the top or those 3, I don't know.

I uploaded my modified file too in case it's necessary. I'm not sure what could be causing this, so any help is very appreciated
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  afTopTankOpenLacePrestigeStrapsOpaque.zip (1.67 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 1:18 PM
Ah yeah those are pretty 'high' in the spot where they're suppose to be. You might be familiar (or not) with this little charm: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...449#post4106449 (Do scroll down to the end of the post, it's quite long and you can read it if you like, but it's just the image with the red, yellow and green we need right now).

Now, store items aren't always that... nicely done. So, that's why there are fixes! What you want to do is editing the uvmap of the mesh. I'm not sure if you're familiar to UVmapping, but you want to make sure that the top's uv map is in the RED part of the image. Else, you'll get the effect that your top has (or... EA's top). If you don't know how to do UV mapping, you should be reading Simlicious's reply, OR you can watch this video for blender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE (and read simlicious' reply in case you wanna read it of course )

You can also (if you're comfortable with mapping in Milkshape) UV map it in Milkshape or another 3D program. It's just the texture that you'll need.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 4:37 PM Last edited by sweetdevil : 3rd Dec 2016 at 7:25 PM.
Hoo boy, I really can't escape Blender, lol XD Thank you for the explanation and for linking me to those!

(Yes I am an absolute n00b I can count on one hand the number of times I've opened Blender.)

So far I've exported the meshes for the high, medium and low LODs using TSRW (I have 3 files).
I imported each into Blender and figured out how to move the...thingies (vertices?)...and resize them so they fit within the red part (that was neat in the video!).
I renamed the group to "group_base" as well.
Then I saved them as .obj, which also created a .mtl file for some reason.
Buut when I tried to import the meshes back into TSRW (the .objs), I get the "Make sure the number of vertices is 2156." error. And the project looks like in the screencap but looks fine in-game, though I assume that's either a display error or because of the bad UV map.

So I have some questions:
1. I imported Bloom's reference image; am I supposed to delete it (how?) or leave it in there?
2. Should the vertices (?) be completely within the red part, or is it OK for them to "bleed" into the bottoms part as well?
3. Is the TSRW error related to 1. or is it error code ID10T on my part? I didn't delete any vertices when resizing them. Could it be screaming about the fat/fit/thin morphs missing from the edited .obj files, which it doesn't even export?
4. NEW: hold up, what are the textures mentioned in the tutorial? The base, specular and map? Do I have to move those up too?

Thank you so much for helping me out here and sorry if I'm stressing you out D:

Edit: looking in Blender, the high LOD mesh has 2156 vertices already? But TSRW still won't import it... (I learned how to delete the cube! :D)
Screenshots

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2016 at 8:48 PM
Quote:
So far I've exported the meshes for the high, medium and low LODs using TSRW (I have 3 files).
I imported each into Blender and figured out how to move the...thingies (vertices?)...and resize them so they fit within the red part (that was neat in the video!).
I renamed the group to "group_base" as well.
Then I saved them as .obj, which also created a .mtl file for some reason.
Buut when I tried to import the meshes back into TSRW (the .objs), I get the "Make sure the number of vertices is 2156." error. And the project looks like in the screencap but looks fine in-game, though I assume that's either a display error or because of the bad UV map.

You did change the groups name in milkshape right? Blender doesn't like it when you change the group's name.
The MTL file keeps all the materials (or... well textures) That you used on your mesh. Even the none one. So you don't have to worry about that file! But I won't delete it, because Milkshape won't like that!

The 'make sure the numbers of vertices' error is actually not even an error about 'vertices', but a normals issue (Shadows/shade on your mesh that's not from your textures). In fact, you need to apply align normals on your mesh in order to make it work (Align normals is a custom plugin for milkshape which you can find here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=139859 ). But, you can't just align normals it and leave it. Nope! There is more! Because else we'll be getting seams.

I've made an entire tutorial on how to do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44s...outu.be&t=3m18s

Quote:
1. I imported Bloom's reference image; am I supposed to delete it (how?) or leave it in there?

Okay so you're in 'UV editing' and you imported your reference mesh. In that same bar where you clicked on 'open' (to import your image) you'll see several small icons next to the name. It's probably called 'Blooms something' you want to click on the X icon. It's next to the folder icon. And that's how you do it! Unless you imported your texture a different way, if that's the case, let me know ^-^

Quote:
2. Should the vertices (?) be completely within the red part, or is it OK for them to "bleed" into the bottoms part as well?

It's not okay for them to bleed through the bottoms part as well. If it does, it's actually the reason why the bottom's texture's is bleeding through you top mesh. That's why you want to keep your top part in the red part.

[QUOTE] 3. Is the TSRW error related to 1. or is it error code ID10T on my part? I didn't delete any vertices when resizing them. Could it be screaming about the fat/fit/thin morphs missing from the edited .obj files, which it doesn't even export? [/QUOTE

As mentioned above, it's a normals issue ^-^

4. NEW: hold up, what are the textures mentioned in the tutorial? The base, specular and map? Do I have to move those up too?

You mean in the UV map tutorial for Blender? Because you can ignore those. You might need to tweak the textures a bit though because you made changes in your UV map. (Probably just move stuff a bit higher) Because changing the UV map, means you need to make changes to the textures as well! Simlicious mentioned it in her reply, which is the reason why you should export your UV map as well to make things easier. ^-^ (It's not a must though. It will make things easier, that's all!)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Dec 2016 at 7:34 PM
OK, I think I need to watch the entire tutorial. You're seriously amazing (yes you are!).

Just a couple of questions:
1) (this may be answered by a previous tutorial) Do I need a specific reference mesh or can I use the mesh of any top (preferably an EA one)?
2) Since I'm working with a top, I need to use a reference mesh for a top, not an entire outfit, right?

As a sidenote, I've had to resize the torso area of the top, since it was too tall to fit within the red area in the UV guide.

Virtual gardener
#6 Old 5th Dec 2016 at 9:17 PM
*Blushes* You're too kind!

Quote:
1) (this may be answered by a previous tutorial) Do I need a specific reference mesh or can I use the mesh of any top (preferably an EA one)?
2) Since I'm working with a top, I need to use a reference mesh for a top, not an entire outfit, right?

Well... Most CC creators won't tell you about this in their tutorial, but it doesn't matter that much (If we're talking about bone assignments, I would have used a top reference for morphs) Fullbody doesn't matter that much. SOmetimes it turns out to be the best way to assign stuff, although if the bottom part of the top mesh is really close to your bottom, it might actually clip through it. I've had that before. But any top will work! Just make sure your reference mesh is one group! And I wouldn't recommend it, but you could use someone elses CC as reference as well (For bones) If there is a need to.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Dec 2016 at 11:21 PM
Quote:
As a sidenote, I've had to resize the torso area of the top, since it was too tall to fit within the red area in the UV guide.

Generally, you should try to stay inside the boundaries of UV map spacing, but if you are making a longer top, it would actually be okay to have a little bit of overlap onto the legs section.
The allotted space for tops on the UVmap goes only to the waist (belly button height). Everything lower is considered to be for bottoms. But if your top mesh covers the hips, it would be okay for your top's UVmap to cover the pants section that is invisible underneath the top anyway. Strictly speaking, you'd only need to stay exactly inside the bounds if you have a waist-length shirt, one with slits/exposed pants areas or transparency.
TSR workshop always displays the pants texture over the top mesh, but in the game, the top's texture will be displayed correctly over the pants. So when in doubt, try to look at your top ingame (also from a frog's perspective) and try on a few different bottoms to see if you have to do some further adjusting to the UV map
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Dec 2016 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simlicious
The allotted space for tops on the UVmap goes only to the waist (belly button height). Everything lower is considered to be for bottoms. But if your top mesh covers the hips, it would be okay for your top's UVmap to cover the pants section that is invisible underneath the top anyway. Strictly speaking, you'd only need to stay exactly inside the bounds if you have a waist-length shirt, one with slits/exposed pants areas or transparency.

Ah, thank you for explaining this. I've cloned a few other EA tops to look at how the UV mask is placed, and almost all of them go past the red and into the bottoms part, so I was a bit confused about that.

Thank you so much, guys <3 I have been a bit busy the past few days but I'm slowly getting the hang of Milkshape and Blender. I have to look at the tutorials carefully and will update in 1-2 days.

I can't wait to learn more so I can make pregnant meshes too! So many cute clothes to modify!