Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 7:37 PM
Interview With The Vampire
So, I know I'm not the only person here that likes it. But what do you guys like about it? I love how much more real the vampires are than in Twilight. The series completely captivates me. But apparently Lestat and Louis are only in the first two books, so I think those are the only ones I'm going to read. And I've only bought those two so far anyway. And Lestat is hot. There's just one problem: Why is Lestat a rock star? Why? *screams in terror* I mean, a sadistic vampire....1980's rock star? It doesn't make sense. I'm only about halfway through Interview With The Vampire but I cheated and read a little about The Vampire Lestat. The result was me running to find my mom and confirm this horrible fact.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 4:11 AM
dont cheat, is not good, and yes, lestat is a rock star, I have no problem whith that though, if you read the rest of lestat, youll find that it suits him..., and lestat is the main character, all, well allmost all the 10 books are about him, but the ones that dosent are really cool also, like armand the vampire is a great book, you should get the next one, the queen of the dammed, is really good =)

and yeah, lestats pwns edward any day
Forum Resident
#3 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 8:17 AM
Indeed, Lestat pwns Edward any day. Then again, all Anne Rice vampires pwn the Twilight ones. She writes so well that when she said that Lestat made her write a book about him, I almost started to believe her.

I've only read Interview with the Vampire(twice) and The Vampire Lestat. I liked The Vampire Lestat better. He's definitely my favourite vampire.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 3:23 PM
I won't cheat anymore. I just wanted to know what it was about. I do that with every book I touch, pretty much. except the twilight series. I just picked them up and basically obsessed over them for a long time. But Interview With The Vampire is way better, and I realize that. I'll buy the rest of the series after I finish The Vampire Lestat. Which I haven't even started. *headdesk*
Instructor
#5 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 5:11 PM
I have read most of the Vampire books from Anne Rice and I have to say Interview with a Vampire, Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned and finally Tale of the Body Thief are the ones that I enjoyed the most. Not for any other reasons, but they seemed very well done and gave the reader a feeling the books were real in a sense. I never read the personal stories of Armand or the others simply because when I tried, the books just didn't "have the same flavor" as the original ones of the series.
She also has The Witching Hour series and The Mummy which I found to be great reads too, even though they are not about vampires.
Scholar
#6 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 8:01 PM
I haven't read all of the books by Anne Rice, though I have read a few: Interview with a Vampire, the Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, Vittorio and Pandora. I must say that out of all of the vampires I prferred Maharet, Marius, Pandora and Vittorio; albeit the latter to a slightly lesser extent. I liked their history far, far more than Lestat.

Anne Rice is a far, far superior writer to Stephanie Meyer and she has a definite better grasp of characterisation and fleshing out character history. However, where I find the latter writers attempts to be quite abominable, Anne Rice in my opinion has a rather pretentious way of writing.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 9:00 AM
I've read them all.. I preferred Interview with the Vampire over Vampire Lestat. I will say Memnoch the Devil was a little iffy for me but as far as Vampire Chronicles vs Twilight Saga, Vampire Chronicles any day.

I wont say that Stephanie Meyers books are bad because they aren't, I read them and they held my interest, but I would say there is a lack of sophistication with her writing.. at least compared to Anne Rice but Ms. Rice has a few more books under her belt even excluding the books shes wrote under pseudonyms..

I would say if you weren't interested in reading the entire Vampire Chronicles I would read Interview with the Vampire, Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned.. those were my absolute favorite.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 8:23 PM
Lestat and Louis are not limited to the first two books of the series- being arguably the two most vibrant and well-defined characters of Anne Rice's ensemble, they both play central roles (Louis to a lesser degree) in at least the first five books, and even the later memoirs devoted to Marius and Magnus both involve their patronship and education of Lestat.

I think that Anne Rice is a masterful writer, and her lush description is exactly the kind of prose I like to both read and write. I must admit that her digressions about Catholicism have come to strike me as quite tedious in the later books (especially in The Vampire Armand, although the portrait of Rennaissance Venice was breathtaking), but her controlled characterization is exquisite. If pressured to choose, I would select The Vampire Lestat or Blood and Gold as my favorites, but I sincerely enjoyed all of the books. Although, I was not a fan of Queen of the Damned; the new characters were hopelessly dull, and the only humorous part in the entire book was when Lestat was bathed by all of those women. That was one of those parts where I had to chuckle and think," Oh, that's SO Lestat."

Lestat is such a dynamic character, and it is beyond me how anyone could make a favorite of a character other than him. However, it does not seem unfeasible for him to be a rock star- considering his flamboyant personality and need to impress, I think that such an occupation suits him quite well. I think that the most interesting thing about his character is his pervasive need for companionship- he hates to be alone, and the fact that he engineered Gabrielle, Louis, and Claudia to follow him into the night is more than enough evidence of that personal truth.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Test Subject
#9 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by willwrightfan
So, I know I'm not the only person here that likes it. But what do you guys like about it? I love how much more real the vampires are than in Twilight. The series completely captivates me. But apparently Lestat and Louis are only in the first two books, so I think those are the only ones I'm going to read. And I've only bought those two so far anyway. And Lestat is hot. There's just one problem: Why is Lestat a rock star? Why? *screams in terror* I mean, a sadistic vampire....1980's rock star? It doesn't make sense. I'm only about halfway through Interview With The Vampire but I cheated and read a little about The Vampire Lestat. The result was me running to find my mom and confirm this horrible fact.

OMG! Thank you so much! I just watched interview with the vampire and the queen of damned and I HATE what became of Lestat. Makes no sense at all! I'd accept that they changed his appearance but seriously...he was more vampire-like in the Interview with the vampire...I don't like, it was waste of time. This Lestat is nothing but a lonely rock star. Now how is an noble young , arrogant man who used to love aristocrat blood is a rock star? His mere opposite..
Test Subject
#10 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 3:54 AM
Oh man, I was so into Anne Rice as a teenager! Mostly for Interview, though I remember really liking Queen of the Damned (the book, not the...movie...erm...) I don't recall reading past Tale of the Body Thief, since by then the story was going a little too off the rails for me. Over the top angsting followed by "shut up and drink your orange juice, Lestat" was an in-joke with my friends that summer, lol. I'm kind of scared to go back and read them again, but her stuff definitely shaped my tastes and my own writing style. Not hating on folks who enjoy Twilight, but the flavor of supernatural critters that are currently in fashion just aren't my speed.

She's over the top and, imo, could have used more editorial input as her series went on (George Lucas syndrome?), but she does gothic right. Give me decadence! Give me gloom and eldritch terror! Velvet and Mozart and rotting flesh, oh my.

(Lestat, much like his author, is big on self indulgence. Rock star isn't far off the mark, considering. Nothing wrong with that.)