Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#26 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 6:53 PM
Ack - that electronic whiteboard (I use them at work - that CC grates).

In my schools, kids do work in the mornings, have lunch and then can chose to do what they like in the afternoons. I just watch them (and my headmaster at Jeavens (private school - public school for us Britishers) fools around with one of the other teachers).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 11:27 PM Last edited by terula8 : 12th Jul 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@terula8
Wondering why you don't use the prep school bus/hours? Is it because it's too long 8-5?

Good question Jo! I think it's because sometimes I actually do want the kids to go off somewhere autonomously so I can sort out other things on their home lot, and the school bus sorts that out. But then, I also like that the grades are official in their panel, and I can have the satisfaction of them getting homework and such without having to manually assign it. I try to cheat a little here and there so that I can make other systems more complex if that makes sense, and I love the immersion of seeing them go off to school every day, watching their grades improve and so on (particularly if I don't feel like playing school that day), and then when I rotate to the school lot, I can sort of catch up on what all the children have been up to, see which new friendships are forming and note playdates (and potential crushes) when I head back to their home lots.

Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
I was thinking about doing recitals and performances, etc. But quickly realized I'd have to scale back my plans due to the limitations of the game. I just don't think there's a way to simulate a play or a dance performance

Edited to add in this reply! Thanks Phantomknight Yeah, I really wish there was a way to have the stage be recognized as a stage. I simulate 'theater' with the puppet show and having kids recite poetry at the mic... that's about as good as it gets (I also do backdrops and have them play 'cops and robbers' on the stage in front of their parents LOL that works too! I love how you have different hoods with different kinds of schools - I'm going to try to implement that with my class-based system where richer schools get more funding and have better facilities.

One more edit: I wonder if there's a way to take the Ravendancer Learning podium and it's extended speaker (it lets sims sit and listen to people speaking on the stage!) and combine that with the options for the entertainment mic...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 11:45 PM
Quote:
Good question Jo! I think it's because sometimes I actually do want the kids to go off somewhere autonomously so I can sort out other things on their home lot, and the school bus sorts that out.

@terula8 But prep school has the bus, it simply drops them home later at 5pm with no homework.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'official in their panel' The homework book or workbook both give the child a grade in the school panel. or you mean you want the grade to come about from the game homework?

I was just checking to be sure you knew that a bus came with prep school because it sounded like you thought you had to use the game school to get a bus.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#29 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@terula8 But prep school has the bus, it simply drops them home later at 5pm with no homework.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'official in their panel' The homework book or workbook both give the child a grade in the school panel. or you mean you want the grade to come about from the game homework?

I was just checking to be sure you knew that a bus came with prep school because it sounded like you thought you had to use the game school to get a bus.

Oh no, I understand that there's a prep school bus option, but I like the Maxis school as it is. I like the children to have homework when they get home, although I didn't know that the prep school uses the grade panel as well.

I honestly just prefer the maxis school set up for when I'm not in the mood to play school - I don't have to worry about it and it makes sense in my head lol
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 1:07 AM
Ah okay So long as you know your options.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:37 AM
Okay, I've attached my first draft of my skill list here and to the first post. It probably wasn't a good idea to start this project in the middle of a build contest. Like I said, I've yet to fill in all the blanks and fully test what's autonomous and what's not, so if some simmers want to help out with that, that's always appreciated.

I think I got a good list of what could be used in a variety of school settings, however, it's by no means complete--this thing is going to be a monster, I can tell. A list of custom instruments could be its own tab; I know I barely scratched the surface of those. And I'm sure I'm missing great stuff for historical hoods. The file doesn't include badge info, or Sophie-David's training items, now that I think about it (Despite gazania mentioning one earlier, too! ). And one day I'd like to include toddler skilling items in case I ever want a daycare, but that's another mountain I'm not ready to climb yet. Still, it's a start. And if anyone has some things to add, or ideas for a better layout, let me know.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Educational Skilling Guide 1.0.zip (17.3 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:45 AM
You might want to add auto mods to that list. My exoputter is autonomous and so is some book skilling. I think that is by iCad.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#33 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 6:08 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 13th Jul 2018 at 6:52 AM.
I did; they're all the way at the bottom, though.

ETA: I forgot to ask about Play Catch and Toss Football, though. I remember a while back Peni told me toss football builds body, albeit slowly. But I had the Newsons play catch pretty much a whole day and there was no gain. I even downloaded a mod that could tell you a sim's skill gain, to see if anyone was in between points but there was not even the tiniest bit of skill gain. Can anyone else confirm it's possible?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Mad Poster
#34 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
I simulate 'theater' with the puppet show and having kids recite poetry at the mic...

There's a puppet show?
Forum Resident
#35 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
There's a puppet show?

Ooh! Yes - I forgot, I think it's a PCSims download, but there's no NPCs attached to it. The kids can play with it on stage and it looks like they're doing something performance related. The Cops and Robbers thing is also pretty good for making it look like they're performing. I just have to keep parents butts in seats the whole time.

It was SophieDavid (I had originally written SophieMiguel <oh dear> and then just settled on 'Ravendancer' because that's all I could remember.) SophieDavid's Opportunity Lecturn has a speaker extension that allows you to place the whole lectern on a stage and then 'broadcast' the 'audio' to sims seated in the room. It basically lets them all hear what's happening with the lectern so they'll sit and watch.

I wish I could work out how to take the code that connects the speaker to an object and attach it to the basegame instruments, the mic and all the other 'performance' stuff - or just to a single object ... wait

So Simlogical has a baby monitor set up that transfers sound from one room to another. I wonder if that might work for stages? To put the receiver on the stage, and then have the monitor against the wall in the larger room?

HOW DID THIS NOT OCCUR TO ME BEFORE

I must test - I'll update with my findings!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 5:34 AM
Buyable cash register can't be used either. :/

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#37 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 11:38 AM
Must get the puppet show, thanks. XD
Alchemist
Original Poster
#38 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 3:42 AM
Wanted to share some of my school builds. It's been taking forever to finish some of the projects I've started, maybe because I'm doing the Apt Mania build contest, too, but probably because I'm lazy and only build when in a certain mood. But I finally finished some schools!

Here's my elementary school I built a while ago, before I started planning out my sim schools' curriculum. I might need to tweak it a bit more based on the exact classes and skilling items I want to use, but I think for the most part it's good.

And here's my high school for Downtown; I made over Fresh Rush Grocery, cuz the lot was huge and I didn't use it that often. I'll build a smaller grocery store somewhere else. I call it FRAC for Young Minds or the Fresh Rush Academic Center for Young Minds.

That's all for now. I've been spending some time coming up with class schedules, too, so maybe one of these days I'll finally test the lots! Would love to see everyone else's schools, too, for ideas!

Mad Poster
#39 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 8:47 AM
Nice looking schools!

Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Ooh! Yes - I forgot, I think it's a PCSims download, but there's no NPCs attached to it. The kids can play with it on stage and it looks like they're doing something performance related. The Cops and Robbers thing is also pretty good for making it look like they're performing. I just have to keep parents butts in seats the whole time.

Anyone have the puppet show and is willing to share it? The Graveyard has been consistently down whenever I've tried to get it.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Nice looking schools!

Anyone have the puppet show and is willing to share it? The Graveyard has been consistently down whenever I've tried to get it.

I'll take a look and pm you Charity
Page 2 of 2