Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 7:15 PM
Default Sock Thumbnail Issue
So, using CAS Cloner I have created some striped socks that now show as their own entry in the catalogue. Brilliant! Just what I wanted.
I then took it into Color Magic to edit the colour flags and swatch. Again, huge success!
The issue I still have is that on the thumbnail for the socks there is a huge black line around each leg above the socks. This does not appear on the actual item though.

I thought it would be a simple case of extracting, editing and then reimporting the THUMB file in s4pe but when I try to open it in Photoshop I get an error saying the file couldn't be parsed.
I can edit them in Paint though but when imported back into the package I just get a red cross where the thumbnail should be instead.

Can thumbnails not be edited yet and if not, does anyone know what might be causing the black lines on the preview thumb?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44

Can thumbnails not be edited yet and if not, does anyone know what might be causing the black lines on the preview thumb?

Congrats on making the item.

As far as editing the thumbnail goes, we don't really know the exact format of the file. It claims it is a PNG file, but it won't read a PNG created by other software.

Definitely something we are researching.

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 8:45 PM
I thought the thumbnails were stored in a separate file, a cache file. (At least, in Sims 3 they were). Perhaps that cache file needs to be deleted/recreated?
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaclimesZero
I thought the thumbnails were stored in a separate file, a cache file. (At least, in Sims 3 they were). Perhaps that cache file needs to be deleted/recreated?

I suspect what is happening is that the OP is extracting the thumbnail from the cache and trying to edit it and include it in the CC pacakge (which was common in TS3).

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:14 PM
Ah. I never really did much modding in TS3. Skipped straight from 2 to 4.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:39 PM
Indeed I was trying to extract from the localthumbcache.package file to then include it in the sock package.
I have deleted the cache file many times and I have now since created other recolours for these socks and they ALL show up with this strange black band on them.
I guess I'll just have to wait until some fantastic modder figures out the thumbnail format so that I can manually edit them.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:49 AM
I got the same kind of weird lines when I edited the black and white overlay or whatever it is texture, the other one that displays in s4pe. Haven't figured out why. If you edited it you might try using the original EA one and regenerating the thumbnail.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 12:43 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 4th Sep 2014 at 1:30 PM.
Thank Cmar, I might give that a go as I did edit the black and white image file because I shortened the socks from the originals so I needed to lower the corresponding shadow line.

ETA:
Well it's certainly an improvement. The suggestion did work but it now means the thumbnails feature the sock shadow half way up the legs BUT it is a lot less noticable than the thick black band and is on the very edge of the thumb.
Including the thumbnails in the package file also seems to have had the added benefit of removing the "flicker", for want of a better term, when hovering between the different colour swatches.