Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:59 PM
Default The other UNKN...
So, I'm trying to edit (what I assume to be) the specular map, but it doesn't seem to be functioning properly.

I "Export DDS" just fine. In Photoshop, I create the map and an alpha to match the new map. Save as DTX5,interpolated. Import into S4PE. Everything SEEMS fine.

But when I open it in Sims 4, everything within the alpha looks fine (although I see no real impact from the map), everything else is solid black (except the eye, which are solid black with their own (functioning) specular map.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Also, do we have normal maps in Sims 4? I feel that would help some of the detail I'm trying to bring out.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaclimesZero
So, I'm trying to edit (what I assume to be) the specular map, but it doesn't seem to be functioning properly.

I "Export DDS" just fine. In Photoshop, I create the map and an alpha to match the new map. Save as DTX5,interpolated. Import into S4PE. Everything SEEMS fine.

But when I open it in Sims 4, everything within the alpha looks fine (although I see no real impact from the map), everything else is solid black (except the eye, which are solid black with their own (functioning) specular map.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Also, do we have normal maps in Sims 4? I feel that would help some of the detail I'm trying to bring out.

With Color Magic, there are 3 texture files associated with most CASP items. For example:
[ul]
[li]3453cf95 80000000 854d4e32df7990ba[/li]
[li]3453cf95 80000000 854d4e32df7990bb[/li]
[li]ba856c78 80000000 854d4e32df7990b8 [/li]
[/ul]

One of the 3453cf95 entries is the main texture map, while I suspect that the other is a normal or bump map.

The ba866c78 file is "perhaps" specular, but I'm not really sure. Also, I'm not 100% sure that current tools can import/export it correctly.

Hopefully this clears up *some* of the questions.

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:29 PM
Yes...?

What you're basically saying is, "Stand By". Got it.